HybridZ

I Was Seventh!

johnc

http://www.specmiatavideos.com/compliations.htm and then click on the video "I Was Seventh."

This is really funny. Some background for non-road racers:

Before a race your are gridded in the pits in qualifying order. Sometimes the grid workers make a mistake regarding order and you have a few minutes to talk with a grid worker and get it fixed if you arrive to the grid early enough. If you're late to grid, tough luck. When the grid worker signals you to go, you have to go or wait for everyone behind you. They will not hold things up becuase you're not ready (or confused in this case).

The subject of this video (a rookie at his first race, trying to get a signoff) was gridded incorrectly and chose to take matters into his own hands by passing 63 cars on the pace lap. Needless to say, he didn't get his signoff.

Still downloading the video (stupid slow DSL...), but what is a "signoff" John?

EDIT: Okay, I think I get it. People have to sign something off saying that you are competent to race in a higher class, correct?

I feel for the guy... he qualified 7th out of how many cars? I mean, is there no leniency? So, if some broad screws up, your whole race season suffers?

!M!

OH Christ I'm still laughing...

For anyone getting their "Sign-off", they should know better... What an absolute idiot...

Tim, Spec Miata is known as one of the most crowded and fun classes to race because of all the Miatas alone... Normally there are 30-40 miatas alone on the grid at VIR and Summit Point. I'd rather have a lot of cars on a grid than only 6 (Cough F1 Cough)! :lmao:

Looks like fun! I may well end up in a Spec Miata when all is said and done... For $6000-10000 you can get a decent car with a history, spares, everything you need and you're ready to race... :2thumbs:

Mike

I'm no expert with racing etc. But this hand waving thing to give up your spot, would that have been explained? And also what if the person guiding the cars on mis-understood the driver (as in this situation) and wrecked his chances. Is it the drivers fault?

Not trying to start a flame session, just interested to know what happens.

People have to sign something off saying that you are competent to race in a higher class, correct?

Once a driver completes an approved SCCA school, he is given a Novice Permit. Now he has to safely and successfully complete two races to get his Novice Permit signed off and then he can apply for a Regional racing license.

In "I Was Seventh's" situation, the grid person made a mistake and gridded the driver 6th instead of 7th. The driver tried to correct the situation by waving his hand around inside the car and pointing when the Grid Marshall gave him the signal to go. To almost any Grid Marshall in the world, that's a signal saying, "I'm having problems, let the other guy go." The Grid Marshall did exactly what she was supposed to do.

The driver should have just gone when the Grid Marshall signalled and then worked it our with the event officials after the race was over. Instead, he passed, under a standing full course double yellow, 63 cars! Regardless of the initial gridding problem, passing just 1 car under a yellow is grounds for some kind of penalty. When you're a Novice trying to get one of two Chief Steward's signatures on your permit, passing 63 cars on the pace lap is one of the all time stupidest things to do.