HybridZ

Just finished My first paint Job!! *pics*

240hoke

Hey guys,

Well after slaving away for the past 2.5 weeks I finally finished painting my 240. Im really happy with the results. I shaved the antennea hole, drip rails, and gas door. Also used tabco panels to replace the bottom of the fenders and the drivers side dog leg. Ill have write up about this on my website within the next couple days, im trying to get it up to date.

Anyway I built a makeshift paint booth in my garage using some heavy plastic and some box fans under the garage door to move the paint out. After I finished the body work the whole car was sanded down to 320 grit I layed a couple couts of Nason 2K catalized 4:1 primer. I then knocked the orange peal from the primer down with 320 and followed with wetsanding with 500 grit. A couple of my buddies come over to help me knock out the final sanding, having some people to BS with really helps pass the time when your about to claw out your eyes from sanding.

The color on the car is toyota/lexus spectra blue and i added one coat of blue pearl to give it a little more depth. Base paint is nason, clear coat is Dupont chroma clear (read 240 a gallon with hardender :( )

Painting the roll cage was a pain but my little detail gun worked awesome. Anyway take a look and lemme know what you think.

DSCN5791.JPG

DSCN5792.JPG

DSCN5795.JPG

DSCN5807.JPG

Hope you enjoy! This has been a big step for me , I'm finally done with all the chassis work and shes ready to be reassymbled. Tryign to get her done before I head off to college and have it ready for SEZ. My website is http://www.geocities.com/projectzt I will be updating it shortly.

-Austin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Austin! Beautiful job, and a very nice color choice. I've done a couple of paint jobs now, and can relate to how much work you've done - it's amazing to me that paint shops can charge as little as they do!

Like Skipzoomie said, you're a natural!

BTW, nice digs. And I like the redhead's attitude!

Austin as always your doing some incredible work in a very short amount of time. Most impressed over here! the colour looks fantastic! are you going to put stock chrome bumpers back on? are you going to black out the trim around the windows?

Hey,

Thanks alot for the compliments. Its hard to paint in a garage but if you take your time and keep everythign clean and wet it seems to work fine, the first layer of base i put down there was too much dust and stuff in the air, i ended up wetsanding the whole thing back down to primer. I found it best to get up at about 5 am and spray, not nearly as many bugs! Anyway i'm really getting excited, should start going fast... i hope anyway lol.

-Austin

Guest ON3GO

no thats for Austin.. she is saying "why you gotta do everything fricken perfect the 1st time.. even though ur not as baller as mike"

thats what she is saying :)

mike

Haha, thanks guys, yall crack me up. The redhead is my girlfriend ashley and the other guy is my cousin ryan, im sure ash will get a kick outta your comments.

sparky -- I havent decided what exactly to do about the bumpers, i would like either carbon fiber, or euro chrome ones. I have money for neither so most likely she'll be bumperless for at least a little while. All the trim around the windows will be polished and im also having the lips on my panasports polished. I just want it to have a mean yet still classy look.

-Austin

Guest etnies_chic

Yes, the redheaded girlfirend does like your comments. See Austin didn't notice that until after he posted that pic and sent it to everyone, where as i thought he knew since he was looking straight at me. haha. opps. And our sound deadeding turned out good, im proud. For those who haven't been informed i help with the Z, props to me.

-ash