HybridZ

What would you do?

CruxGNZ

I'm in a predicament. I only have to get a mild build on my 2004R, run the exaust and get an alternator in order for my GNZ to run, which will cost about $1700. But now here's the catch... I have a lead on a Lotus Esprit (same body stlye as this one click here ), which is one of my all time favorite cars, that could be picked up for about $1000 with a torn apart, but most likely fixable engine.

Should I A, pick up the Lotus and store it, untill the funds are available to fix it up, thus putting off the maiden voyage of my GNZ untill next year or B say screw it and get the damn Z on the road and miss this deal of a lifetime? The last 6 years of my life have been geared towards getting the Z on the road powered by a Buick engine, but now there is another one of my dream cars that is available.

What would you do?

!M!

If I have the money and I have to choose between a tranny and car of my dreams, I'd get the dream car. Besides, the Lotus will go up in value once you repaired it.

Any way, MORE BETTER GOOD CARS = RIGHT CHOICE

But make sure it's as described. If the deal ever fell thru, pass the info onto some one else(wink wink)

I say get the Lotus. If it is a car that you have always dreamed of then if you don't get it. You will kick your self forever for not getting. Plus If you waited six years to get the Z rolling what's another year. Then once you get the z done you can start the first GN powered Lotus project.

I'd say this decision must really be troubling you since you were up at 3:30 in the morning typing it! Why can't you do both? Life's too short, borrow the extra funds needed from somewhere, maybe a personal loan or even...a credit card, and get the Z on the road asap and then work on the Lotus? If you just get the Z going, it would be a load of bricks off your back.

EDIT, I agree with the previous post too, just to get it going.

Matt,

One of my dreams cars as well..I used to go to the lotus dealership and just stare at those things all night long..the fastest four cylinder production car? if i remember correctly.

Its a tough choice that I would have a hard time making. you've been working on that Z for so long though and are so close! I also think that you know just how important it is to start with the cleanest car possible when doing a restoration or rebuild. The Lotus is not the easiest or cheapest thing to get parts for! seriously, go to the lotus message boards an look at what those people are dealing with, surgical lines for fuel vapor vents? thats nuts. and resale on a hybrid wont be very good. finish the Z, there are always going to be good deals out there...always! besides, you might find once you finish the Z that all your lotus desires will subside for a short time.

finish the Z, isnt it also a dream car?

Buy it, park it, finish the Z. You are going to have to very strongly resist the temptation to start working on it though, lest you end up with two unfinished long term projects. Also, think very hard about if you really want the Lotus, or if it is just stemming from a romantic memory......

That Lotus isn't going to cost $1700 to finish, that's for sure. I'd buy and park it like the others suggest or forget about it all together. Last story I heard about a guy getting the "deal of a lifetime" on a Lotus Espirit involved a blow through Weber turbo setup, lots and lots of money, and a fire that burned the car to the ground. :(

My $.02 and take it for it is worth considering inflation these days.

I have several dream cars I want but I would never get any of them that was a far gone fixer-upper. Let's face it, there is a reason why an Esprit is being sold for $1000. I think you need to be honest with yourself and accept the fact that a $1000 Esprit is probably going to take high mid-high 4-figures and 4-yrs to become your dream car and in the meantime you have nothing but a money pit. Those cars have enough problems when they are in primo condition and Esprits in pick-n-pulls are far and few between. OTOH, it is your dream and only you what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

Get ahold of Sportscar Services over in Mequon. Find out what it is worth as is. They work on and race Lotus. If the rest of the car is ok, it is worth a lot more than 1K. You could resell and finish your project for free. IMO.

Continental Autosports in Chicago would jump all over that car also.

Guest JAMIE T

If you feel the Lotus is restorable at what ever cost, buy it now. Store it. It won't go down in value. If you get in a jam, sell it. No harm, no foul right? Lotus doesn't use Lotus engines do they? The new ones have Toyota motors and the old ones have Ford motors. I don't know about the year in question though. I remember something about 2.3L Ford engines. Probably an earlier year. The Z has been years of your hard work. Somebody give this man an 200R4! Build your own exhaust. You can do it for less than you think.

Dood.. just do it! If I came across one of those (I also drool uncontrolably when I see one..) for $1000 I'd snap it up. Even if I had to store it for a few years, I'd jump on it. Example; I was always kicking myself for selling my old rx7 V8 that I built, and said I'd build one again someday. A month ago, I found that 'deal of a lifetime' on one. No motor or tranny (good for V8 swaping :twisted: ) and a near mint body/interior. Car spent a lot of it's life in Hawaii. $250 could have bought my the rest of the toyota brake upgrade for my Z (have the 300zx rotors in boxes, have new front strut inserts to install at the same time) BUT right now, my stock brakes are doing the job and the Z drives.. Now.. $250 rx7's ar not as rare/pricy as a lotus, but for the condition it's in, I could easily part it out and make a few K IF I had to. LOTUS! LOTUS! LOTUS!!!!!! :-D My .02$ (canadian mind you..)

I'd borrow the money. Ok, fellow members, send paypal loans to Mat73GNZ@nowhere.com so he can get his car. He'll never pay you back but he'll let you drool on it when he gets done. Besides, doing the humanitarian thing will be brownie points to get you through the pearly gates.

Either buy the car or tell us where it's at so one of us can buy it for you to drool over. This is not even a question.

I'm going to look at the Lotus tommorow, so pictures to come, hell, I don't even know the year, or color it is, just that it's a 90's body style (like the one in the link above) and the story behind it. The VERY short of the story is, when it was new, it was stolen then recovered with a blown engine. The shop it was sent to didn't do the required work to fix it, so it sat for many years. The owner past away, wife didn't know what to do with it, so sold it to the shop. Shop didn't want it, so it sold to another shop where it's at now. From what I'm told the amount of time that a shop would invest in the car, would be way to much considering the price it would sell at. So it's not worth a shops time to bring it back to a running state.

To make matters even worse, my buddy said he would give me another GN motor to put in the Lotus :shock:

More to come...

!M!