HybridZ

How fast can you go...how fast can you go..

Other than the posted times for those running salt flats, and the few who have gone to jail for exceeding the limits, I don't know how you could validate this...

I've seen bunches of discussions and people make comments about how unstable a stock Zcar is... Aerodynamically speaking, none of these non-stock Zs is going to have an issue in the 140mph range. I've personally seen Dr. Sideway's Car and Mark Icard's car both in excess of 140mph and BOTH have been very stable. One of the cars mentioned has extensive spoilers and aero treatment, and the other is more minimal.

I think the right setup will allow you to run in the 160s very stable, and in the 170s with some aerodynamic work... this assumes spoilers, wings, and other aero-tricks are being employed already, along with a healthy and adjustable suspension with the right weighting, and bumpsteer mods.

Mike

Mikes right. above 140 my car starts to move around alot. The front end gets light. I have seen 145 and maybe alittle above but my balls ain't big enough to go for more like the car is set up. I'm sure the car would do 160 with the right changes to the front end and maybe a rear spoiler and definatly a different driver.

Search. This has been covered here many times before. Andy Flagg holds a number of LSR records in his stock bodied 3L 260Z 2+2 at around 175mph.

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=160375

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=160376

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=160381

Exactly which keywords would one use to find the many topics discussing it without getting results back of over 500?

I searched...but, unfortunately the search engine does not bring consider "top speed" to be one string of text and instead breaks it down into two. So...now you get every post with "top" in it and every post with "speed" in it.

With that being said...Thank you for the information.

Bill, Honestly, Above 130mph, if someone says "I've done XYZ speed" I'd ask them to prove it... AND NOT by SPEEDO Reading. All the speeds I qoute myself as doing stand the potential of being incorrect except for the few times I was able to employ a friend in the state police with a Radar gun and some two way radios.

We've seen cars read as much as 30mph off when dealing with rear diff, tranny, and tire combos coupled with 30 year old nylon speedo gears and stretched cables.

John C. JT1, Mark Icard, and the few other guys (Sorry to those whose names escape me right now) who spend time on large road courses are the few who I'd listen to when discussing taking a Datsun into those speeds... At VIR we have a two places per lap on the main course where you can easily achieve speeds in excess of 130mph, and one place where I've personally seen about 150mph in my Corvette. I'd expect my Zcar to hit similar speeds when it is done.

Mike

Mike,

Yeah. I agree. I also see the same thing when dealing with R1's...tire slippage can be come such a factor at those high of speeds that your reading can be off...making it seem like you're going faster than you really are (by looking at the speedo).

I looked for awhile, but, couldn't find any verified Salt Flat speeds.

I'm not really looking for any other reason than just because I was curious as to how fast the chassis of the S30 can be taken to before it becomes so unstable that you couldn't possibly go faster...not that I ever plan on going that fast in my Z (that's why I have my bike!!)

It's kinda funny you should mention that, Bill. Even on race slicks on it at the track, my ZX9R would spin the tire at will with only 131 whp. I can't imagine how much throttle control an R1 would require.

Mike

We've got a land speed group here in NC that runs on an airport runway. One mile runup to the traps, then almost a mile of shutdown. I'm gonna give it a try at one of their fall events just for the heck of it. They have a "fun run" group, but some of these guys are serious.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

A local guy here runs a modded L6 Z with a gnose and rear spoiler in the low 160 range.

John

John, One of the guys I HPDE with regularly, Joe Gaudette, Actually holds a couple of records there and pretty much gave up going because the place got to popular and the tech lines to darned long... Let us know how it goes for you... Maxton sounds like a hoot!

Mike

hey guys well i was at lacr that would be LOS Angeles County Raceway last sat night in my 240 and some guy came up to me all impressed on how well it was running then went on to tell me he holds the land speed record in his z czr at over 175 mph but i didn't get his name all he said was his was not as quick as mine at the drags and he spun alot and was amazed how well mine hooked with the stock wheels and tires and wanted to know if i have ever taken it all out but i have been to about 5000 in 4th i have no speedo so no clue on how fast i go but doing the math with tire size gears and rpm i was well over 140 i could see with gears and the car slammed to the ground easy 175 mph oh and by the way i ran 12.77 at 106 mph in the 1/4 mile with 195/70/14 tires from pep boys at 21 bucks each i don't see how so many guys have a traction prob i have a hard time getting it to break loose ...

hey guys well i was at lacr that would be LOS Angeles County Raceway last sat night in my 240 and some guy came up to me all impressed on how well it was running then went on to tell me he holds the land speed record in his z czr at over 175 mph but i didn't get his name all he said was his was not as quick as mine at the drags and he spun alot and was amazed how well mine hooked with the stock wheels and tires and wanted to know if i have ever taken it all out but i have been to about 5000 in 4th i have no speedo so no clue on how fast i go but doing the math with tire size gears and rpm i was well over 140 i could see with gears and the car slammed to the ground easy 175 mph oh and by the way i ran 12.77 at 106 mph in the 1/4 mile with 195/70/14 tires from pep boys at 21 bucks each i don't see how so many guys have a traction prob i have a hard time getting it to break loose ...
5000 rpm in 4th is only about 100mph with a 3.54, and 106 with a 3.36.

I took my Z to 6200rpm in 4th gear uphill (7% grade) at 10,000 feet elevation, about 125mph. The turbo Honda LOST!

but i have been to about 5000 in 4th i have no speedo so no clue on how fast i go but doing the math with tire size gears and rpm i was well over 140 i could see with gears and the car slammed to the ground easy 175 mph oh and by the way i ran 12.77 at 106 mph in the 1/4 mile with 195/70/14 tires from pep boys at 21 bucks each i don't see how so many guys have a traction prob i have a hard time getting it to break loose ...

I smell a troll.

It's kinda funny you should mention that' date=' Bill. Even on race slicks on it at the track, my ZX9R would spin the tire at will with only 131 whp. I can't imagine how much throttle control an R1 would require.

Mike[/quote']

Honestly...I'm not sure...I've never taken it on a race track and there aren't many turns in Phoenix (all 90's)...until you get out into the Canyons, which...I honestly can't say I've done much of either on my R1.

One day I'll have to get enough balls to take it to Firebird Raceway or something and try out a roadcourse...one day...

So five grand in 4th gear is only 100mph? what do you have a 23.5 inch tire that is what it would come to and i have 3.36 gears and i am at 103mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd with my 700r4 give or take 50 rpm as for punctuation well mostly girls worry about that or total dorks that type all day long i work on cars not keyboards

ICewtr, Welcome to the board, and good by... If you can't use intelligent means of communication, you can't play! :2thumbs:

Now, for the others interested, a comparison of what he "claims"... The C5 corvette 6speed is good to 103mph in 3rd gear all day long. At 104mph you get into the rev limiter. 4th gear is good for 142mph again, all day long. If you get up to 145mph you're again in the rev limiter. This is with stock Z06 size wheels and 3.42 gears.

I don't know what the troll above is talking about, but I'm pretty sure my 305-30-18 slicks are around 26 inches tall... :lmao:

I hate trolls with a passion and think they should all be beaten with their mice.

Mike :cool: