HybridZ

My Sweet new motor setup (just finished!!)

Garrett76Zt

Mike . . . the filter did not come with o-rings for sealing . . . am i supposed to add them? kinda frustrating.

You mentioned that you you're using the 240sx tranny. I'm curious to see how well it will hold up to the kind of torque you are going to be putting out. If it handles ok, I'd like to do the same swap, but my guess is there's no way its going to hold up to 450+lbs of torque.

Well i did some research over at KA-t.org and it would seem like 400 is about the limit for the input shaft . . . although there have been a few guys that are making more and the tranny is holding . . . Anyways I was tired of the T5 and couldnt find a replacement and since there are 4 240sx's in the junkyard right now . . .and i can get a 5-speed for $40 . . . seemed like a no-brainer.

Well, I think it depends on the threads of the fittings. I believe the Aeromotive filter is threaded for an A/N and not NPT. If it is, then you may need an O-ring, like you would use with an Aeromotive FPR.

Well i did some research over at KA-t.org and it would seem like 400 is about the limit for the input shaft . . . although there have been a few guys that are making more and the tranny is holding . . . Anyways I was tired of the T5 and couldnt find a replacement and since there are 4 240sx's in the junkyard right now . . .and i can get a 5-speed for $40 . . . seemed like a no-brainer.

I was thinking along the same lines at first also, but when you think of it, the sr20's/KA's put out significantly less torque at those hp levels. That is what i'm concerned about. Since they are snapping trannies at 400hp my guess is your's will snap much sooner behind the L6. But since its already in there, I'm curious to see just how long it holds. If it lasts 4-6 months then I suppose its worth it if the trannies can be had that cheap.

Let me start by saying I'm no expert with turbo systems ... but I do know square things want to become round when pressurized. It looks like fine craftmanship went into the manifold but at 20 pounds per square inch and I'm guessing around 90 square inches (wild guess at 30 inches long by 3 inches wide) on the top plate for example means there will be 20*90 = 1,800 lb of force prying at those welds and trying to bend the flat plate into a circle. Was that square box intake manifold designed to handle those kinds of loads? Sorry not trying to be critical just an observation from an uneducated (at least in turbo systems) observer. Does sound like it'll be a sweet set-up though.

Cameron

my welded knockoff of an HKS cast surge tank held up just fine at 21psi.

The stresses to break welds need to be higher than 1800# to break them, or even fatigue crack them. There was some issues on some squared tanks at Bonneville blowing the boxes apart, but that was a problem with the welds themselves (usually is in the case of failures), and not because of the design of the tank. Many times people use an extrusion now, but IMO the extrusions used currently usually don't have enough volume for the engine size...

Ideally the tank would have rounded edges, but the craftsmanship required to roll "O" Aluminum to that shape and then properly weld it isn't usually in the realm of the home builder.

BTW, I have decided to go with the KA tranny in my 73 for similar reasons, I will simply limit the output to below 450HP, and since I'm road racing, and high speed touring, that should make the tranny happy for a while. I'm not a big dragger anyway.

Guest Chris240turbo

I have a similar intake manifold, also from speedshopthagard.com and a 60-1 T-4, and have been running 24 psi through it for the last few months with no issue, traction troubles for sure, but no mechanical issues...

Guest ON3GO
I have a similar intake manifold, also from speedshopthagard.com and a 60-1 T-4, and have been running 24 psi through it for the last few months with no issue, traction troubles for sure, but no mechanical issues...

i miss ya chris!

24psi now!!! i hate ya...!!

i can also say that the welds on those tanks are great, saw chris's with my own eyes and its a very top notch part!

mike

Guest ON3GO
I am running thagards intake at 15psi with on problem but i did however blow the welds off my floor board..... still cant figure out why....

Ivan

cuz your 2 fast 2 furious!!!

mike

Chris, since our setups are so similar, I'm curious what kind of power you are putting down . . . have you hit the dyno yet?

I am running thagards intake at 15psi with on problem but i did however blow the welds off my floor board..... still cant figure out why....

Ivan

Because you're just too damn slow! It's wierd how the mind works, you wanted to go faster and you unintentionally busted through to the ground to give yourself the "Flinstones boost". Hahaha!

*preparing for the "my crap don't run comeback"* :-D

!M!

The stresses to break welds need to be higher than 1800# to break them, or even fatigue crack them.

1800# is a LOAD (force), not a STRESS (force/area). Depending on the wall thickness, stresses in this plenum could well be in the range where fatigue is a concern. Quick and dirty FEA shows ~7800psi near the welds with 1/8" wall, at 20psi. In the heat affected areas, the yield strength of 6061-T6 could be down around 15ksi, so fatigue could be a real concern.

Garret, what's the wall thickness on this plenum? You might consider having the plenum heat-treated to get back to T6 properties.

There was some issues on some squared tanks at Bonneville blowing the boxes apart, but that was a problem with the welds themselves (usually is in the case of failures), and not because of the design of the tank.

Of course they failed at the welds, that's where the stresses are greatest and strength is the least! Such failures ARE because of the design of the tank!

Ideally the tank would have rounded edges, but the craftsmanship required to roll "O" Aluminum to that shape and then properly weld it isn't usually in the realm of the home builder.

In which case you have to go with a much thicker wall than would be required with a round plenum.