HybridZ

OK GUYS Z32 tranny on an L28 . . .

Garrett76Zt

• 2 weeks later...

Pallnet,

A few questions. From the pictures it doesn't look like the belhousing has been cut down and if this is correct, are you using some type of spacer behind the flywheel? Again if this is correct, how is the starter going to engage the flywheel if it bolts to the adapter and the flywheel is on a spacer? I hope I'm missing something because this looks to be the way I want to go. Thanks.

Joe

It's not a complete unit yet. I didn't machine the bellhousing yet and I didn't setup the starter yet either. This is just a rough fit for the moment. That all comes with the next time I get time to mess with it. Right now my Z is down with a dead tranny. I'm doing the SX conversion to hold it over. Since the car is my daily driver right now, I have to do something cause. I can't leave it apart while I work on the Z32 tranny conversion.

Check the link again. I posted a few more pix. I have the starter installed and the kit is ready to be put on an engine and tranny with the machined bellhousing.

I still have to machine the bellhousing. More pix to come when I do that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got an email back from James, here is what he said. Hoping that this will go somewhere soon...

mark is working on the drawings for the prototype unit and hopefully we will have some solid information towards the end of this week - we are getting ready to make another run of the VG to SR plates and are going to do our best to include some KA and L Series in this batch as well

James Innes

407-281-1223 - Phone

407-281-1905 - Fax

http://www.MazworxRaceSupply.com

what about a RB gearbox behind a L series block? Whats the story? Anyone know?

HAS EVERYONE TOTALLY IGNORED THIS COMMENT??????????????

Here in Ozland, they modify an L Series front housing to accept the late model 92/93 RB20DET box and have a lot of success with it.

I have a front housing away getting done now by SWR in Sydney NSW Australia and from what I can find out, it's primarily a machining task to make clearance for the much larger front bearing.

I'm told the Zed rally guys use this modification with great success and they're getting 300+ rwhp.

Cheers,

Dennis in Oz

Not sure how much power the RB20DET trannies can hold up to.

A lot of guys are looking at the 300zx tranny route since:

1. they are strong (I believe the internals are similar or the same as the RB25DET tranny...someone correct me if I'm wrong)

2. they are more available in the US then an RB tranny (300zx NA and TT trannies are the same internally, so it makes it that much easier to find one)

3. they are cheaper then an RB tranny

• 1 month later...

can be made easier by using a L series diesel bell housing which uses the same larger bearings as the RB20 box, that was my last project but for strength im moving up to the RB25DET box and having an adapter made.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MazworxRaceSupply

Bringing this back from the dead cause we have new information

The first run of adapter plates will be in our hands the first week of July and we are compiling the final list of parts that will be included with the kit

if any moderators or admins see this we are interested in working up a promotionally introductory offer to the Hybridz.org members so please contact me on what we can do about getting something like this rolling

...it is getting closer and closer...

James@MazworxRaceSupply.com

407-281-1223