HybridZ

OK GUYS Z32 tranny on an L28 . . .

Garrett76Zt

Okay so what all is included in this kit or adapter setup? Are we going to have to do the hybrid clutch using the Turbo Flywheel? What other parts are going to be necessary for us to run them? What else are we going to have to source out? Custom Driveshafts, tranny mount, etc.?

Tyson

From what I've gathered so far.

1. Send in a Z32 bell housing

2. Receive modified bell housing with L series adapter attached.

3. Custom tranny mount

4. Custom driveshaft

5. Hybrid flywheel & clutch combo

Did I leave anything out or mis-state anything?

1. send Z32 bell housing

2. receive modded bell housing with adaptor plate, shifter bracket, and tranny mount

3. Your existing turbo clutch should work (Z32 has the same spline count as the L28 tranny)

4. You will have to have your own driveshaft made for the correct length once the tranny is installed in your car. It is a common output spline for driveshaft shops. We have a local driveshaft place here in Orlando and custom shafts run between $250 and $300.

5. Depending on what you have to pay for your driveshaft and tranny itself, I figure the whole swap should cost no more than $1200-$1500

alright, stupid question...but what about the z32tt auto tranny? I assume the adapter would work the same way? I'm looking for an auto tranny to hold 600+ hp and I think the z32 tranny is a possibility. Either way, I'm interested in the adapter as well...I'll be awaiting updates

Wow, I hadn't even considered the auto tranny, but I don't see why the bell housing and adaptor would not work the same way... I just do not know how the tranny itself (shift points, etc) is controlled (Z32 ECU?)

Maybe someone can cime in on this.

On a side note, I found the auto tranny weighs around 178 w/o fluid. how about the manual tranny? anyone know?

On the weight thing.....

I would estimate the Z32 to be right in the 125lbs neighborhood. It weighs more than my GF! lol!

I can toss around a Z or ZX 5speed pretty easy, but the Z32 (92 NA) was a wee bit harder to lug around the garage and in and out of my trunk.

on the auto note....

what about a Q45 transmission? cant remember where, but I ran across a website for a guy running a hot build with something ungodly like a 250 shot of Nitrous in his q45, he DID have the transmission upgraded by level 10, I beleive. He was running low low low 12's in that pig of a car (4000lbs I would imagine), full interior and everything.

or the maxima 4 speed auto rebuilt using Starion internals? From what I have read, they are the same transmission, its just that the starion trans was built using much stronger parts.

Ive owned two Z32 300zx's both autos one a N/A and one twinturbo both standard with no mods and both autos craped out.

If someone is keen to have an adapter made and sent to me in New Zealand, depending on the final price p/m me

Cheers

I know the Q45 uses the RE4R03A trans. I have heard the Z32's do too but can't find the link I had.

On the weight thing.....

I would estimate the Z32 to be right in the 125lbs neighborhood. It weighs more than my GF! lol!

I can toss around a Z or ZX 5speed pretty easy' date=' but the Z32 (92 NA) was a wee bit harder to lug around the garage and in and out of my trunk.

on the auto note....

what about a Q45 transmission? cant remember where, but I ran across a website for a guy running a hot build with something ungodly like a 250 shot of Nitrous in his q45, he DID have the transmission upgraded by level 10, I beleive. He was running low low low 12's in that pig of a car (4000lbs I would imagine), full interior and everything.

or the maxima 4 speed auto rebuilt using Starion internals? From what I have read, they are the same transmission, its just that the starion trans was built using much stronger parts.[/quote']