HybridZ

OK GUYS Z32 tranny on an L28 . . .

Garrett76Zt

Ive owned two Z32 300zx's both autos one a N/A and one twinturbo both standard with no mods and both autos craped out.

If someone is keen to have an adapter made and sent to me in New Zealand' date=' depending on the final price p/m me

Cheers[/quote']

Z32 autos are known for being weak, many you see for sale have a new tranny listed in the description. I have talked to Nissan service people, and they started replacing them with as few as 40,000 miles on the clock. Of cource that's in a 3200 pound car...

yeah, i thought the Q45 used the same auto as the 300ZXTT. HERE is the site I was talking about. I guess he only had a 100 shot of nitrous. and his best time is 12.6. still pretty good for a fully loaded Q45.

The B.A.D. Q45 is great for the street and track. It gets loads of attention, in part due to how unique it is and because it is such a sleeper. The fans go crazy when we start running 12 second quarter miles. They also like the fact that our 60 ft times are 1.78s and that we lift the front wheels off the ground anywhere from between 6 to 12 inches. Not bad for an automatic transmission equipped luxury sedan weighing over 4000 pounds!!

looks like when this transmission is properly upgraded/rebuilt it can take some punishment. In Sporks case, I would contact Level 10.

or the maxima 4 speed auto rebuilt using Starion internals? From what I have read, they are the same transmission, its just that the starion trans was built using much stronger parts.

No need for a rebuild and using the Maxima Case, you simply use the Maxima Bellhousing and torquecoverter/flexplate on the Starion Turbo Tranny (I forget if you need the input shaft, it falls right out anyway, so it's no big deal swapping it!) They are both the same JATCO transmission save for the Turbo Specific Enhancements.

The Starion was a 2.6L Turbo Tranny, and like the Turbo Three Speed used in the ZXT's from 81-83, has some extra clutch plates, different valving and shift action, higher line pressures, etc.... Works, but is the same PITA as installing the four speed autobox. Obviously you aren't using the power in overdrive, but having that nice .67 gear for highway cruise is niiiice if you have the torque to pull it off!

Hey all,

I hope to have some time today to take both of my z32 5 speeds over there.

I'm going to use one of them behind the supercharged motor in my 280z and the other behind the vk56de in my 240z.

The flywheel from a Z32 is a direct bolt on to the vk56de crank! COOL! That means I can use all the Z32 clutch components and make it REAL simple!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I spoke to the guys last week. They are moving to a bigger shop across the street, so I told him I'd bring both of my Z32 tranny's after the first of the year because he said he couldn't get started until then anyway.

I did some measuring recently. It appears the shifter will come up through the existing hole pretty good (back slightly further than stock but still fits).

We were also taking a closer look at the output shaft with our focus on the driveshaft angle. Kinda unknown right now but things are encouraging.

As soon as I have it further along I'll let ya know

Yeah I thought about the angle. I was thinking to score another DS from a yard and make a solid unit the correct length to line it all up for the tranny mount fab.

All I've done was collect the parts and think the whole thing out. I don't have CNC machinery but hell neither did our grandfathers.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally did it. My Datsun N/A 5spd let go yesterday under high boost. I was in 5th gear and all I heard was a zing then a rattle followed by a random grind.The car was pulling really strong then suddenly free rev'd. I put the clutch in and shifted successfully to 4th and made it home safely. Close one....

In my mind I have two options. I've already tried the Borg Warner T5 and didn't care for it over the Datsun T5. I could pay the 3500.00 and get the bullet-proof G-force T5 or I could adapt the Z32 tranny as suggested in this post. The Z32 trans would be my first choice since it's quieter and should be a little cheaper. I'm looking forward to trying out the new adapter when it becomes available.

Guest MazworxRaceSupply

just had this thread brought to my attention - thanks Z-gad

we recently made an adapter kit to bolt the VG transmission onto the SR20DET engine and have great success with it

we are definately interested in making an adapter kit for this application as well and will hopefully throw some initial ideas around this afternoon as to how quickly and what we need to potentially put this together

my main question after reading through this thread is how many people are seriously interested in an Adapter Kit for the VG transmission?

here is a shot of the VG to SR Kit (also included but not pictured is our labor to machine your bell housing and a mild steel driveshaft to exact length)

vgsradapterkit1.jpg

To give you an idea on cost - this kit runs $925 for the VG to SR and we would expect similar cost for the most part on this kit

let me know and we can get the ball rolling on the R&D of the product, thanks

James Innes

James@Mazworx.com

407-281-1223

Hey James,

Couple questions.

1. Obviously the kit for a Z will require you to make a different tranny xmember, adaptor and driveshaft. when will you be mocking all this up in a z?

2. As far as i understand it the TT tranny's are the same as the NA's, the only difference is the starter postion on the bellhousing is lower on the TT bells. which are you making the adaptor for?

3. Once you make the kit will it be available from then on? Since I started this thread it seems that there have been easily a dozen people that would be interested.

Thanks again for the effort!

Guest MazworxRaceSupply
Hey James' date='

Couple questions.

1. Obviously the kit for a Z will require you to make a different tranny xmember, adaptor and driveshaft. when will you be mocking all this up in a z?

2. As far as i understand it the TT tranny's are the same as the NA's, the only difference is the starter postion on the bellhousing is lower on the TT bells. which are you making the adaptor for?

3. Once you make the kit will it be available from then on? Since I started this thread it seems that there have been easily a dozen people that would be interested.

Thanks again for the effort![/quote']

1. yes, the driveshaft is easy as it is just a different measurement - that can be taken care of no problem - the tranny mount will be straight forward as well once we get the tranny up into the car

2. the TT and NA trannies that we have come across all will work with the VG to SR kit that we produced so i would imagine it will be the same for the L

3. yes, we will make an initial batch of 15-20 i am sure to try and drive the costs down and i would imagine we will have a pre-sale with a 10% discount or something to that effect for those of you who are really in need of the kit right now, then we will always try and keep at least a couple on the shelf for future purchases

not 100% sure when we get the test fitment, etc done but we will try and work it into the shop schedule in the next 1.5-2 weeks and will update as we can

James Innes

James@Mazworx.com

407-281-1223