HybridZ

Sweet, sweet Hybrid 510 on eBay.

Boobala

That car belongs to Steve Neuman. He has invested over $50,000 in the car plus several thousand hours of fabrication and assembly time. Almost 300 RWHP too. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Check out some of the detail work!

57_12_sb.JPG4e_12_sb.JPGc8_12_sb.JPG

I wish I had the money!

It is up to $23,225 now and I hope it brings $30K plus. That will move 510's up a notch. I have a stock 510 that I hope to hybridize someday. For now, I will enjoy the ride in my LS1 240Z.

man...everybody's talking about this car on the other forums too! Even in the new zealand and europe forums..

I hope it does bring the value of 510s up, cuz I got ripped off when I bought mine!

It's like putting heavy flywheels on the wheels. Plus it requires larger diameter wheels which are also heavier so now you have 2 heavy flywheels on each corner. The big wheels raise the car and make it look stupid, so then you have to lower the crap out of it and now even with the struts sectioned it doesn't have any travel, so it basically rides on the bumpstops. Then there's the fact that NO 510 needs 13" rotors, and that the 10" rotors in the back couldn't possibly keep up with the setup he has in the front (since he doesn't have dual master cylinders) etc, etc, etc.

This is a pet peeve of mine. The car is nicely done. I just think he went a little retarded on the brakes and wheels.

Well now its up to 33k and still hasnt met the reserve, it is a very nice and very well done car, with a lot of shiny and well I mean you can see attention to detail was paid to ever aspect and it looks great, but Ive seen more of my share of cars that I would like that arent that expensive and look equally well. Great car, loads of work but man that price really gets to you.

"Then there's the fact that NO 510 needs 13" rotors"

I have to repectfully disagree with this. Put some 255 width almost R compound tires, throw in 133+ mph going into PIR's turn one and you'll be glad you had 13 inch brakes (ok, only 12.6 inches). Of course the weight is much more and most every 510 in the world doesn't need them, but it's one of the best upgrades I've ever made. Period. No fade and bigger rotors give more brake torque which made for better modulation on my car, so there are a few advantages.

Anthony

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

I still disagree with you Anthony. I think you could have had PLENTY of brakes in your wagon without going to 13's. GT4 510's don't have 13" rotors (they only have 13" wheels), and they can whoa it down from more than 133 mph for hours on end in endurance races.

Your car maybe a little different in that it's a wagon and it has a 6 cylinder swap, both of which make it heavier, but I am still absolutely convinced that a brake setup similar to what John Coffey had on his 240 would be more than enough for your wagon. He had 11" rotors front and rear with Outlaw calipers.

Keep in mind my car is a relative pig at 2750 lbs, Coffey's car and a GT4 510 are much, much lighter. Cross drilled rotors are not the best example but I've cracked them even with these rotors and they get hot enough to heat check and turn nice and blue. I'm sure that I could get away with smaller rotors if I wanted to duct them and use race pads, but I don't. 3rd gen Rx-7's have around 11 inch rotors IIRC and weigh about 100 lbs more than me and you won't see many that are tracked regularly that don't upgrade the brakes. Bottom line is that I never worry about my brakes, ever. I'd rather have that feeling than worry about being on the edge.

Back on topic I agree that particular car does not NEED those brakes, but there is a lot done to our cars we don't need.

Just curious but at what track is a GT4 510 hitting over 133+ mph and having to brake hard?

Anthony

Well I'm just guessing here, but a Pro7 driver told me he was hitting 135 on the back straight at Buttonwillow (no bus stop) and I would figure a GT4 510 would be quite a bit faster than a Pro7 car. GT4 cars don't normally have speedos in them, but I know for sure they're a lot faster than a Pro7 car, having seen them both in person. I know a Porsche 944T that I was MUCH faster than said she hit 145 there.

Congratulations BTW, you have without a doubt the heaviest 510 I've ever heard of. Still I think your brakes are overkill and here's why. Your brakes are basically the same as Vette brakes, right? So a Vette weighs 3200 lbs and I know people who race Vettes in T1 use the stock brakes, as well I know a guy who races a Firebird with Vette brakes (he also hits 145 on that back straight at Buttonwillow or so he tells me). So your brakes are, IMHO, overkill. They just aren't necessary to slow your 2700 lb car from 130 mph.

The problem with getting more brakes than you need is that you also get more rim and tire than you need. Your car would be faster IMO with an appropriate wheel and tire choice than with the 17's or 18's on it. In addition to not having to get all that rotating mass accelerated and decelerated, your suspension would likely be better set up in the front with a shorter tire in terms of roll center, cg, bumpsteer, available travel, etc.

I went overkill on my brakes too BTW. I bought JSK's 12" wilwood setup and it is more than I needed for sure but I bought it because it was a LOT cheaper than an equivalent 11" setup.

As you said, let's get back to THIS 510 for a second. What do you think this coupe with a lightweight SR20 weighs? 2000? 1900? As to the brake bias thing I took a quick look at this guy's car and it appears that he is running a regular master cylinder. Unless you go with dual masters and make the rear master much smaller than the front I don't see how you could possibly have any semblance of proper bias with 13's in front and 10's in the back. What that means is that his rears are doing relatively nothing compared to his fronts.

IMO it's show, not go.

I have the heaviest 510 I know of as well. Unfortunately. Take a wagon over 2400 lbs stock and add engine, brakes, tires, rollbar and that's what you get. I think the glass alone in a wagon adds quite a bit of weight compared to a 2 door. The nice thing is it's still lighter than many many modern sports cars so I don't feel too bad. Re: this car I think it probably weighs around 2200 lbs.

I don't know what he has for rears. I know that with my previous rear disks which were 11 inch 300zx units with 240sx calipers I could never get enough rear brake bias to lock the rears or even heat them up that well even with the proportioning valve full to the rear. With the new 8.8 I'm using the stock 11 inch (or so) Crown Vic rotors, the good thing is the piston area on the Ford calipers is quite a bit bigger than the 240sx so I'm using the rears quite a bit. I haven't seen a rotor blue'er than my rears are right now after my track day yesterday. I had brake hop at Thunderhill so I dialed the bias back a little and everything worked well this time around.

I don't disagree that on his particular car the brakes are more show than necessity. Some people like big brakes and how they look. If you like the 13 inch wheel look then keep small brakes, but if you have bigger wheels then small brakes look well, small and IMO not that good. Ultimately he didn't build that car to kill everything on the track, so really this whole discussion is a moot point. I think he built it as a very nice street/show car and accomplished that.

Anthony