HybridZ

Rear Watanabe's Mounted Lots of pics..

Well I took the tires and wheels (rears only just got the front tires in yesterday) this past Saturday to Tires Plus. After an hour the guy called me and said that the wheel is to wide for the tire. The specs are 245-45-16 Fusion ZRi and 16x9.5 R Type Watanabe's. So pissed off I called Tire Rack to confirm and the guy told me for the 245 the max wheel width is 9" mine are 9.5". So I went back to Tires Plus picked up everything and drove home. Once home I called Joji at Wheel Choice where I bought the wheels from and told him the issue. He said that the 245 are well within range (with a slight stretch) and that they do it in California and Japan all the time. I too know this from first hand experience living in Japan and seeing other Z's running the same wheel and tire package. Joji even double checked and called around in the states and even in Japan and called me back to confirm that I shouldn't have any issue.

So I started calling around and got a hold of Mr. Tire (ughh) and I got transferred to 3 different stores and then spoke to Matt at the Mr. Tire in LaPlata Maryland and he said bring them down tomorrow (opened on Sundays sweet). On Sunday morning I got there and he came outside and looked at the sidewall and he said it shouldn't be a problem. A few hours later he called and said that they were ready, I was like OMFG. I went back to get them he said the first one was a little of a pain and they had to use the Cheetah (used on big wheels 20+ sizes to seat the bead using a 100psi shot to pop it on). The second one went on faster then the first and he didn't have to use the Cheetah.

The best part besides not damaging the wheels was he charged me $20. I was stoked and said what kind of beer do you drink and that I'll see you once the front tires arrive. I will have the same issue as the fronts are 225-50-16 16x8.5 R Type Watanabe's. Tire Rack said the same thing that the max wheel width is 8" and mine are 8.5".

To address how much it's sticking out first I am going to raise the rear an inch. I am running 150/175 spring rate now. If raising it doesn't help I was thinking of ordering 200 for the rear and move the 175 to the front. I am trying to do this so I only have to bolt the over fenders on and not cut the rear quarters.

So what do you think?

DSCF0080.JPG

DSCF0081.JPG

DSCF0082.JPG

DSCF0083.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

DSCF0085.JPG

DSCF0086.JPG

DSCF0087.JPG

DSCF0088.JPG

DSCF0089.JPG

DSCF0090.JPG

DSCF0091.JPG

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically the guy was right in saying that the wheel is too wide for the tire. But then on the other hand "technically" obese gigantic fat people cant run but i see them running into Golden Corral all the time. :lmao:

I've seen tires worse than yours e.g. low rider skinny tires. It's just a rule of thumb most tire places who have probably been sued use, you cant mount a tire on wheel wider than the tire tread or something like that.

Yours look good man!:2thumbs: more close ups please.

Technically the guy was right in saying that the wheel is too wide for the tire. But then on the other hand "technically" obese gigantic fat people cant run but i see them running into Golden Corral all the time. :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I've seen tires worse than yours e.g. low rider skinny tires. It's just a rule of thumb most tire places who have probably been sued use' date=' you cant mount a tire on wheel wider than the tire tread or something like that.

Yours look good man!:2thumbs: more close ups please.[/quote']

Yea a friend on mine is using 205-50-16 on 16x8 and they are really stretched. More pics, can do how much closer do I need to get??

I thought I had enough pics. I do have some closeups of just the bare wheels.

240ztt - they look excellent. I have purchased a set of RS-Watanabe's also. Size is the same 16x8.5-6 and 16x9.6-19. Running 225/50/16 and 245/45/16. I have not installed them on the car (suspension is still out) but here are some pics of the rims and the tires fitted (taken at the tire shop a few weeks back) The shot with the 3 rims and tires shows the 2 backs and one front (the one furthest away as the other front was getting balanced at the time). The tire I purchased are Toyo PROXES T1R and they installed them with out using any special tools - they had a bit of trouble getting the bead to start but the guys said not too much of a problem. The sidewall on these don't look as stretched as you tire - the front have a less of a stretch.

Question for you are you running coilovers? or stock spring size/purch? I have stock spring size and purch so just want to know if I need spacers on top (I don't think I do as these have 4.5" BS = should clear stock setup)

RS_Watanabe1.jpg

RS_Watanabe2.jpg

RS_Watanabe3.jpg

RS_Watanabe4.jpg

RS_Watanabe5.jpg

looks great!

but you can get a 275-45-r16... its a M/T drag radial.

i have 16x8.5 front and 16x10.5 rear oldschool Ronal racing wheels and im gonna have to run those.

mike

Question for you are you running coilovers? or stock spring size/purch? I have stock spring size and purch so just want to know if I need spacers on top (I don't think I do as these have 4.5" BS = should clear stock setup)

Yes, I am running Ground Control coilovers with the Ground Control supplied purch. Keep us posted if they do, I was told that running wider than 8" rim will hit the stock spring purch front and rear.

Yours look great too. I just got my front tires yesterday and will mount them up this week and get somemore pics posted..

looks great!

but you can get a 275-45-r16... its a M/T drag radial.

i have 16x8.5 front and 16x10.5 rear oldschool Ronal racing wheels and im gonna have to run those.

mike

Yea those too. I don't think that these Fuzions will last long, we'll see....