HybridZ

Rear Watanabe's Mounted Lots of pics..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To address how much it's sticking out first I am going to raise the rear an inch. I am running 150/175 spring rate now. If raising it doesn't help I was thinking of ordering 200 for the rear and move the 175 to the front. I am trying to do this so I only have to bolt the over fenders on and not cut the rear quarters.

Just cut the damn quarters. That's the right way to do it. Seems silly to spend so much money on wheels then go cheap out on doing the flares.

Love the wheels. Not a big fan of the tires. Love the paint too ;)

The lip on thoes wheels are awesome! And I don't think the price is too bad either, comparitavly... Some nice wide Volks will run you atleast that much, and probally be heavier ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Yes' date=' I am running Ground Control coilovers with the Ground Control supplied purch. Keep us posted if they do, I was told that running wider than 8" rim will hit the stock spring purch front and rear.

Yours look great too. I just got my front tires yesterday and will mount them up this week and get somemore pics posted..[/quote']

Ok installed my RS Watanabe's on dad zed today and took some pics (the suspension is still out of my zed and I wanted to check if the stock springs would be ok with the backspace/offset). Dads Zed still has stock brakes, suspension etc. My rims are the same specs as 240ztt that is

Fronts 16x8.5 -5 = 4.5" backspace

Rears 16x9.5 -19 = 4.5" backspace

Good news these fit and clear the stock suspension. There is a bit of room on the rear. The fronts fit but only just - would not want to run a wider tyre on the rim. Here are some pics

MyRims_on_DadsZ_1_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_2_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_3_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_4_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_5_tn.jpg

MyRims_on_DadsZ_6_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_7_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_8_tn.jpgMyRims_on_DadsZ_9_tn.jpg

Nzeder, are you running the same size tyres as 240ztt on your wats? What did they set you back if you don't mind me asking and how long was the wait? Are you going to use ZG flares, if so can you post a couple of pics with the flares stuck on by tape if its not too much trouble?!?!

I've bought some ZG flares and my plan was to run relativley stock suspension, looking at your pics and other posts I think your rim dimensions are the way to go!

Sulio

Sulio,

I have custom steel flares on my Zed (see pics on my website). Yes I have the same size wheels/rims combo as 240ztt. Cost truck loads, one arm, one leg and my first born (worth every cent) No they cost close to $900NZD each rim (that is funny money to you Ozzies and those state side - this puts them at a total $2465USD with todays exchange rates close to what 240ztt paid, this includes all taxes/shipping and commission). The tyres I am running a Toyo T1-R 225/50/16 fronts and 245/45/16 rears these were a good price costing just under $815NZD.

They took just 6 weeks from order to pickup.

Nice wheel NZeder ,my plans are for Watts also. From what I see in the pictures I think the front ones cleared the stock suspension because of the 16" dia wheel. I want 15" in that size but I think it might hit the perch. Do you think if your wheel was 15" would it hit the perch?

Cheers, Ari

Ari I think a 15" rim would clear however it depends on the tyre/size and sidewall. If you ran a streched tyre I don't think you will have any issues ie 205 or 215 a 225 might work but it could also be very very close. I guess you could run a very very thin spacer. If you see my 2nd and 3rd pics you will see a small spacer on top of the Performance Superlite Wheels that are currently fitted to Dad's Zed. These spacers are only on the fronts for caliper clearence I believe (did not try to refit the wheel without them)

My rims are the same specs as 240ztt that is

Fronts 16x8.5 -5 = 4.5" backspace

Rears 16x9.5 -19 = 4.5" backspace

Wouldn't that be 4" backspace? 19mm = .75" and 9.5"/2 - .75" = 4"

I'm planning on getting some of those wheels, but if I go wiht 9.5" rears, I will probably get a +6 offset...don't want to cut into my stock fenders as they are still mint. We'll see.

Close but don't forget that the a RIM measurement is almost + 1" beed to beed ie a 7" rim is so close to a 8" beed to beed lets call it 8". So my rims are 16x8.5 -6 (check spes and marking on the back of the rim again to be sure) and 16x9.5 -19. These rims from beed to beed are 9.5 for the fronts and 10.5 for the rears so that makes 4.5" backspace.

Also from the sticky in this section Wheel/Tires

see http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

Cheers

Mike

For another look common in Japan my friend Curtis is running 15"/16" R-type Watanabe Rims: Front 8.5J Tires: P205/55ZR-15, Rear 9.5J Tires: P245/50ZR-16 on his 240Z.

ec_1.JPG

BTW it is for sale on Ebay ending soon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-1971-Datsun-240Z-Original-907-Green-with-JDM-Styling_W0QQitemZ4578570970QQcategoryZ6187QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Close but don't forget that the a RIM measurement is almost + 1" beed to beed ie a 7" rim is so close to a 8" beed to beed lets call it 8". So my rims are 16x8.5 -6 (check spes and marking on the back of the rim again to be sure) and 16x9.5 -19. These rims from beed to beed are 9.5 for the fronts and 10.5 for the rears so that makes 4.5" backspace.

Also from the sticky in this section Wheel/Tires

see http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

Cheers

Mike

Scheisse. I stand corrected, sir. I'm very glad you brought that to my attention, I was definitely assuming the backspace was a measurement from the inside lip. That means I have less room to work with than I thought.

Scheisse. I stand corrected, sir. I'm very glad you brought that to my attention, I was definitely assuming the backspace was a measurement from the inside lip. That means I have less room to work with than I thought.

Pleased to help - would not like to see anyone spend their hard earned $$ on the wrong rims, been there done that.

Hi I am new here and have been driving my Z for 2 years and love driving it.

I am looking at having www.diamondracingwheels.com

make me some 16x8 wheels and the inner bellhousing is 13.3 inches on their rims and looking at getting their "Avenger" 15x8 wheels and in the future upsizing the rears...

I measured from the center of my hub to the outside of my solid rotor 4 piston caliper kit from msa and it seems to measure 6"and 7/16 of an inch... that makes 12 7/8 in.dia. will the 13.3 fit with enough clearance for my larger front brakes? I think it is enough but not sure. also it looks like y'all are using 4.5 in. of backspace but my current rims are 14x6.5 w/3.25 in backspace and running some 215's and there is about 1.25 inches of space between the tire and springs. I would like to know what I can run as far as backspace and tires to run.

thanks...

Well after reading this post amongst many more on different wheel sizes and offsets I bought a set of ROH Venturo 3 piece wheels that are made in Australia. I figured the Watanabe width and offset you guys have used would be the safest choice but in a 17 inch wheel. Just gotta send the flares off for a coat of black paint and wait 5-6 weeks for the wheels to be made. I've noticed some people run a 9 inch front and 9.5 at the rear but they must have coil overs so I'll stick to the 8.5 fronts and theres always the option of just adding 5mm spacers to the front to pump them out a bit without hitting the suspension perch.

I think suitable choice in tyres will be 225x45x17 front & 255x40x17 for the rear.

http://www.roh.com.au/asp/product_catalogue.asp

Thanks for the help with all the info posted here fellas!

Sulio