HybridZ

RIP R200 in my Z now Im calling JEGS

Guest traub83

Well, I finally got my supercharged 350 tuned in and decided to take her out for its first real drive when I actually step on the gas ok.. well it was going great car is insanely fast and quick. car squats and launches i swear my fronts came off the ground but i have no proof of it. anyways needless to say I decided to get on my road in front of my house and see what it do if i launched it from 3 grand like if i was racing, im on street tires too remember, and as soon as I did it boom my rear is gone, yes i know some of you are thinking halfshafts or cv joint, well nope the differential itself is toast!!!! drained the fluid in it and shavings came out so well its time to order a jegs rear frame 4 link kit for it... anyone know if anyone has put one of these under there car and tubbed it?? how wide would I want the kit to be? any problems installing one of these anything helpful!!!??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DMSV8 has added a four link set up to his 260 along with a Ford 9 inch rear end. If you act quick he has a rear sub frame assembly for a Zcar that is set up for ladder bar suspension. He can be contacted at dmsv8@netzero.com

You can check out his gallery pictures, he is in AZ.

http://www.desertzassociation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=231

http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_store/pro_street_rear/universal_pro_street_subframe_kit/

This seems like a fairly good deal to me. Good Luck!

As 80LT1 posted, I would get another R200 for now so you can still have fun while you save your pennies for a different setup. Maybe your R200 was on it's last leg anyway, and your newfound power pushed it over the edge. Look at the power some of these guys are pushing through their R200's and R230's. Yeah, where are the pics???

ill check it all out for the subframe kit, another r200 Im not sure as well its not the fact I dont have the cash its just, Im not a huge person to drive this car all the time so it sittin in my garage isnt a problem at all, heck it prob only be sitting 1-2 months till i finish the tubb then winter will be here and I wont drive it till spring so eather way my car is gonna be sitting a lil bit now.. ohh and pics lol believe me or not but I do not own a camera, ya ya ya Ive heard it before you have the money for all this stuff in your car but no money for a cam lol, I promise tho I have been meaning to buy one here soon and when I do I will post a crap load of pics of my car...

jbk , i like that kit from tbucket. I like how it is leaf spring still and comes with a 9" ford rear minus the housing, only thing I am currious about is if it will fit a Z or not? and also the 28 spline axles I might shear them off aswell, does anyone know the strength of 9" ford 28 spline axles?? I can put together an awsome 9" center section with locker and any gear ratio I choose so thats awsome, but the frame kit itsself, whats all this entail when I am installing one of these bad boys in my Z? This will be my first time doing a rear frame kit!!

http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_store/pro_street_rear/universal_pro_street_subframe_kit/

This seems like a fairly good deal to me. Good Luck!

As 80LT1 posted' date=' I would get another R200 for now so you can still have fun while you save your pennies for a different setup. Maybe your R200 was on it's last leg anyway, and your newfound power pushed it over the edge. Look at the power some of these guys are pushing through their R200's and R230's. Yeah, where are the pics???[/quote']

Leaf springs and solid axel? :twak: THIS IS A Z remember? Isn't there something to be said for a car that is well balanced and can handle right next to a porshe with the right mods, but this? Now I know what it must feel like when I talk to my purist buddy about my Chevy powerplant, and he cringes. :toetap05:

Considering that the differential failed while the halfshafts and stub axles did not, it's not inconceivable that your differential was damaged to begin with, and that one full-throttle clutch dump was enough to finish it off. A stock R200 in 3.54 or 3.7 ratio goes for about $75, and at that price, it's worth reinstalling a stocker, subjecting it to the same "abuse", and seeing if the failure repeats itself. The proponderance of stories about rear-end failures strongly suggest that a R200 should be OK for your application.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a solid rear axle, especially if the car is a dedicated dragster. But that's major $$$ and requires considerable engineering.

I see you're in San Diego. You should be able to pick up an R200 in that area for no more than $100.00. Don't worry if you don't see 280Zs; look for any 280zx or 300Z up through about '89. If you can't find one in your area, send me $175.00 and I'll have my favorite yard monkey pull a long nose R200 for you. I get to keep the change. Start with the pick a parts and then start looking for small out of the way communities that have wrecking lots. You'll enjoy the drive and find small [and sometimes large] treasures.

By the way, before you jump to a live axle 9 inch Ford, decide what you're going to use the car for. If you are going for the Pro Stock look or real serious drag racing, then a live axle has some advantages.

It's your ride, but I do think you should stuff in another R200 and beat the hell out it. You may find that you can go real quick with an R200.

g

g

Sorry Traub, I responded to the wrong post. My local JY here in California has 3 or four R200s in Z ranging from 280, 280zx and 300Zs. There is probably a 3:54 and a few deeper gears such as 3:70s. If you can't find R200's in your neighborhood and would like to buy one, I'd be more than willing to have my local JY pull one for you and ship it. They weigh around 85# and will fit into a box that is 24 inches, long 18 inches wide and 12 inches high.

g

Well I would look at a nother members site

http://www.jnjdragracing.com/

He has pics of his setup he has run I think 5.8x 1/8 with an R200. He has done work to enlarge halfshaft u joints but they are holding.

I know we are all different just pointing you toward someone with a similiar setup that is doing well with an R200

Good luck

well if hes holding that motor with his, it does look a lot simular to mine but im running a 172 weiand blower and thats at least a 6-71 so its bigger than mine, my rear must have been a fluke. I may have to take ya up on the offer on getting one out of your junk yard and sending it to me. My boneyards look pretty bare but there are a few more left to check.. but anyways thanks guys for your concerns on my Z, when I get it all finished and its proven on the road a lil I will go to a national Z event and let ya all see it and all the goodies I promise. ohh and pics will come soon also when I buy a cam... However I am strongly thinkin on ditching the blower and doing a turbo setup but right now its a maybe.

I just donno about twin turboin id much rather single turbo it but plans to do it is like yah right and I can't find pics or info on one anywhere..

This is Jerry from JNJ Drag racing, I say keep the R200. You must have had a bad unit, I love using the stock rearend. My brother has been telling me all along to put a narrowed rearend under my car, and I keep on telling him anybody can can go fast that way ,but I think it is cool to go fast on stock stuff. Our car went a 5.86 @ 123mph in the 1/8 on a R200 with 3.90 gear and a 9.58 @ 146mph in the 1/4. It is a WILD RIDE !!!!!!!!

Hey JNJ nice of ya to drop in on my topic. Yah I really like your car man, its a lot like mine but yours seems to be a lil bit more wild than mine as you are running a bigger blower. But the R200 yah I will give it another go and maybe order one of those qualife lockers for it and have it rebuilt before I slap it in. This is my first car that runs a IRS so its a lil nerve racking to me when i broke this one, Hope ya guys understand, thats why i was lookin at a solid axle. but you all are standing by the r200 so why not give her a 2nd chance... what all can be done to strengthen up the r200 including the cv and halfshafts?? cause if im gonna redo it i might as well upgrade the whole ball o wax..

I havent opened up my unit yet, just backed it in my garage and drained the fluid so im not exactly sure what broke in it yet but i know if i try and put it back in gear it makes a horriable grind scrape sound from the rear and i go nowhere.. a lot of metal shavings came out with the fluid also..

Did they make a r200 LSD? or what LSD unit could I pick up that be a easy swap for me anyone be able to help me find one also?? remember I need it to be able to hold around 600hp if not a lil more in case i decide to upgrade..

Weld That Open Diff.

I don't want to weld it cause I may do a lil highway driving with the car and I hear thats a no no with a spool or welded gears and such.. if thats wrong then hey I might have to do that then..