HybridZ

My blown motor (pics)

Garrett76Zt

Alright so i took my bottom end apart tonight and this is what i found.

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0016.JPG

This is the #2 Connecting rod bearing. Totally munched . . . and it scored the crank journal pretty badly.

DSCN0015.JPG

Top of piston was peppered with pieces of Turbo Compressor wheel :shock:

DSCN0013.JPG

Smashed the edge which in turn scored the cylinder wall badly enough that i cant reuse this block unless i bore and go up to bigger pistons. Which i dont wanna do cause i still have 5 perfect Ross forged pistons.

Still havent made up my mind yet what im gonna do, I'll keep ya posted, just thought i'd share the gruesome pics.

well, long story short . . . the K&N filter was too close to the exhaust manifold and the rubber began to soften and shred at the clamp. Turbo sucked in a chunk of rubber under boost and munched up the compressor wheel . . . . those pieces eventually found their way into the cylinders . . . and I'll admit the motor was pretty low on oil at the time that this happened, I'm sure that didnt help the situation.

Oh well, now I get to do my first rebuild, good times . . . good times. Its a good thing they postponed SEZ, hehe.

Yep, either replace one forged piston and 240z rod, or sell them (needing one rod and piston) and refresh another short block.

Looks just as you described over the phone last night. You said that #5 had a few pit marks, but nothing bad though, correct?

Mike

Thats a real bummer, but I'd bet you could get another piston from Ross fairly cheap...

Garrett you had called me about the extra motor I have... Word travelled fast and the motor was sold to the first person I talked to! Ragno bought the entire setup.

My new motor arrives on monday for my project 240Z... it's a surprize.

Ken

While I wouldn't discard the detonation theory just yet (I'm no expert on these things) one other option to consider is that the missing shard of compressor wheel entered #2 cylinder and proceeded to wedge at the edge of the piston/chamber. This then meant that the piston was running into it and then into the head accounting for the obvious metal-on-metal in the rod big end.

Of course, this assumes that the shards are big enough to do this, but small enough to make it through the IC? Checked the IC?

Dave