HybridZ

Throttle cable conversion

74Adam

I searched and looked in the FAQ but couldn't find what I needed. I was just wondering if anyone has (or knows of) a write-up, maybe with pictures, of the solid linkage being converted to a throttle cable assembly (probably using a 240 SX TB)? I know it's not rocket science and I can probably figure out how to do it anyway, but the more info the better.

thanks,

-Adam

you can use the firewall stock rod and etc.

attach a cable to that rod using a himejoint from the fire wall.

make some mounts to hold the cable onto either the fuel rail mounts or the intake manifold and your set.

mike

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I'm going to use one of Spork's (i.e. lone wolf performance) intake manifolds and I can have him fab a clamp for the cable. I'm going to use the 240 SX TB because I understand it has two levers so you can hook up a cruise control.This might work real well.

My setup is almost identical as Quik240Z's. I also used the Lokar cable and ran in back over the valve cover to another custom bracket. The difference may be that I left the shaft linkage bracket in place and welded an arm to the shaft assembly. This rotates my Dellorto's to W.O. with the gas pedal all the way to the adjustment screw in the floor. The pedal is a bit heavier than before due to three return springs as opposed to only two for the SU's. I haven't started the engine yet so I don't know if the throttle will be too sensitive or not. Anyhow, it's looks really good and appears that it will function very well. I'll try to get some photos up.

i used 240sx cable and tb and modified the linkage shaft to make it shorter and ground my intake cyl 1 runner a little to let everything clear. i used the stock 240z pedal bye drilling out the joint ball and bending the top sideway and pus the cable throught that and fastend cable there and adjusted at the tb with a bracket i made.. i will shoot some pics.

You can fit a throttle cable direct to an unmodified throttle pedal, all you have to do is unscrew the threaded short section from the bulkhead rod drill and tap 2 holes in it so you can secure the inner cable with some small Allen screws, then just make up a bulkhead blanking plate for the cable to pass through, this way you have the original ball and socket fitting onto the pedal

bulkhead.jpg

Tim

evil-How much modification is required to get the ends to match? Also, how much extra length are we talking about. Do you really have to snake it around alot?

Also, does the TPS on the 240 SX TB work with the stock ECU? I would assume it doesn't but I'll ask anyway.

I have to thank Scottie-GNZ for mine set up. He told me that when he did his when his back when his Z had the L28et that he used an 84 200sx throttle cable. Its just a little long but now since I've got my custom intake manifold it is the perfect length. I had to modify the fire wall and the pedal some but it was worth it.

tbs

I just got a 240sx TB from the junk yard and while I was there I was "shopping around" and sort of figured out that I could take the linkage off a 280zx TB and modifiy it to work on the 240sx TB. All I did was take off the cable linkage and replace it with the 280zx mechanical linkage. all of the shafts are the same size and the springs work great. It seems like it will work. Dose anyone have any experiance with this mod?

Rock on Z people :rockon: