HybridZ

help recieved 78z car from father

Guest mrt0mjones

Guest mrt0mjones

my father recently passed away, and i hadnt seen him in a long long time, and his 78 z car was passed to me in his will, and he always wanted me to work on it, but due to circumstances, we never worked on it.

i really want to finish this car, nomatter what the money, i will get this done..

ok, some quick questions.

how the **** do i get the body off, the frame rails are shot, i'm replacing them.

What rim looks best on pearl white.

where do i get a driveshaft for a z rear end to fit on a rb20

time to make the monster my dad wanted me to make.

welcome to teh forums..

The car doesnt have seperate body/frame.. it is all 1 piece (monochassis whatever you want to call it).

Regarding wheels, that is all personal opinion. It is up to you. I perfer Watanabes tho since it matches the car of its era. Timeless look. None of that redneck hillbilly stuff.. THe right sized wheels/offset set the car off really nice.

kii-z.jpg

See how nicely match the outside of the wheel is flush to the body?

kii-z3.jpg

Regarding the drive shaft, if you get the RB20, hopefully they will include the driveshaft end piece that slides into it, just take that and the stock driveshaft to a shop to have them weld that piece on and balance it.

Guest mrt0mjones

so.... just get them to weld on a stock for stock piece.. ok..

now, when i got the Z, it in detail stated, from him, that the framerails were gone??? and the floor is rusted to hell, but i can weld, and i'm a damn good body man... but what the hell, if this is a unibody, why are there framerails?

I strongly recommend that you do a lot of research and go to http://www.alteredz.com

Pete has excellent framerail blueprints for upgrading yours. No offense, but you really don't sound like you're familiar with the car very much. READ A LOT here and at ZCAR.com and get educated about that car before you dive in. Your dad deserves it.

Best wishes!

Mike

Guest mrt0mjones

are there pre made frame rails, i'm not afraid about making it strait, thats easy, making the framerails , i dont have a shrinker for steel and such.

i'm not very familiar on this platform only 3000gt's :(

but this platform looks very capable of many things, and the weight issue isnt there, plus i' probably will make this car a litte wider in the butt.

Gottan include a link when you recommend a site, no?

Zed findings

http://www.datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm

Bad Dog Parts

http://www.baddogparts.com/

The so-called "frame rails" are the square boxed-up tubing you can see inside the engine bay. One for each side and they run parallel to each other. They provide places for mounting the motor.(a unibody car still needs these "frame rails" for structure support)

Underneath the floorboards are "floor support rails" some times people mix up "floor support rails" and "frame rails" and just called them all "frame rails".

Underneath the trunk area, there are also rails, you can call them "rear frame rails" but they are not straight, just boxed up supports that runs from the end of floor to the rear of the car.

going to make bitchin floorpans, and i cant see myself spending that much on rails when i am a skilled welder? just doesnt make sense to me.

your right.. if you have the skills and most importantly... TIME to make your own floors and rails its way cheaper and sometimes better.

just take your time and measure alot!!!

best of luck and stick around and read up on this site, you will learn so much!

mike

Regarding wheels' date=' that is all personal opinion. It is up to you. I perfer Watanabes tho since it matches the car of its era. Timeless look. None of that redneck hillbilly stuff.. THe right sized wheels/offset set the car off really nice.

See how nicely match the outside of the wheel is flush to the body?

[/quote']

Is that your car in the picture? Do you know what the size/offset of the wheels is, and what tires are on them?

Thanks.

I would use 16 gauge, better safe than sorry. If I bought premade with 24 I would use that instead, just because I wouldn't have to do all that fabbing. With me I would go overboard on stiffening and support under that car. Probably look like a peice of the eiffal tower under the car lol. Ihaven't really started on anything on my car right now and don't intend to untill spring. I just hope I don't over load the chassis when I do get started.

Guest mrt0mjones

well tonight progress was made.

Disconnected all of the wires, and hoses in the engine bay, (professionally relasing anything in the air conditioning lines), and started pulling off the front bumpers... and a welded bolt came undone, and i cant get it off, also cleared the inside of her out.

all in all, this will be a great car i can tell, and will hold up to much abuse, and be driven, like the man wants me to.

Guest mrt0mjones

ok, will i need to rebuild the rear-end...???

do i need cross bars tac-welded to make sure the frame doesnt shift around.

where do i get those jspec mirrors?

what do i do with driveshaft issues?

so..... i have the engine out, and she's getting gutted of rust!