HybridZ

Grip Video Vol 8 SR20DET 260Z

Lewis Maudlin

Has anyone seen Import Street Racing Grip Video Volume 8 with Amir and his SR20DET powered 260Z? It pumps out 400rwhp and weighs 2100 lbs with 15 gallons of gas. I wonder what kind of quarter mile the car would run?

I would like to see a V-8 Z that does that. If you get that kind of power to weight ratio with a V-8 Z, you would have a straight tracker only. No cornering because the independent suspension would have to be replaced and a solid rear axle added. Don't get me wrong, I have built a V-8Z and loved it, but I am going a little lighter this time.

why shouldn't a solid rear axle do well in the turns? I've seen several solid rear axles set up well that handle better than most stock IRS systems. IRS is just easier to set up well from what i'm told.

Factory fives are a great example. Thier IRS package handles great out of the box and is very comftorble on the street, but everyone who races them using FF's 3 link rear suspention.

Has anyone seen Import Street Racing Grip Video Volume 8 with Amir and his SR20DET powered 260Z? It pumps out 400rwhp and weighs 2100 lbs with 15 gallons of gas.

2160 lbs with 5 gallons of fuel. BTW... he bought the car back from the lawyer he sold it to. You'll see the car on the track here in SoCal in the near future. I'm also building Amir another street/track car that will be pretty impressive.

Factory fives are a great example. Thier IRS package handles great out of the box and is very comftorble on the street, but everyone who races them using FF's 3 link rear suspention.

Funny! A number of guys I know race (or used to) the FF Cobras in NASA's spec series and all say that handling is not the car's strong suit. Very similar to the original Cobras and Fox body Mustangs.

Live axle rear suspensions can be made to handle well on smooth surface tracks. But ask anyone who races a T2 Camaro, AS Mustang, etc. and they will describe all kinds of rear suspension horrors under braking and control arm bind under acceleration. It takes a lot of work (modified torque arm, 3 link, and/or 5 link conversions) to get a live axle to behave, let alone work well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the real-life review john. It's hard to get some bad reviews about FF cobras. Thier chassis is strong no doubt. 'I think' (<-key words) they all have to run the same 4link in the NASA spec series, wich explains alot of it. FF says thier 3 link handles almost as good as the cobra IRS setup for them and they take power alot better.

And dosquattro beings a good point. The 86 is known for it's amazing cornering and has a live rear axle, wich also explains why so many people describe it as "single minded" and hard to make spontanious. The way the back end losses grip is very uniform. I wonder what a completely OEM 86 would feel like though. I doubt there are any on the track without suspention work.

EDIT: Hey johnc, would the total lack of power explain why the 86 handles so well? I mean, even in the most competative 86 circuts in japan they're not pushing more than 200hp (closer to 150 if my memory serves correct).

Has anyone seen Import Street Racing Grip Video Volume 8 with Amir and his SR20DET powered 260Z? It pumps out 400rwhp and weighs 2100 lbs with 15 gallons of gas. I wonder what kind of quarter mile the car would run?

I would like to see a V-8 Z that does that. If you get that kind of power to weight ratio with a V-8 Z' date=' you would have a straight tracker only. No cornering because the independent suspension would have to be replaced and a solid rear axle added. Don't get me wrong, I have built a V-8Z and loved it, but I am going a little lighter this time.[/quote']

Back to the original question... anybody seen amirs blues 240 with the sr motor in it. if there is a video any links?

A live axle car can be made to handle well. Even some stock live axle cars handled well from the factory. But a live axle typically has these inherent problems (compared with an IRS):

High total weight.

High unsprung weight.

Excessive packaging dimensions.

Dependent wheel motion.

Slow wheel reaction.

Lateral location friction/geometry changes.

Brake and engine torque reaction affecting suspension geometry and reaction.

Pinion angle changes.

A lot of work with shocks, suspension locating linkage, and springs is needed to get a live axle to behave, let alone work well.

I would like to see a V-8 Z that does that. If you get that kind of power to weight ratio with a V-8 Z' date=' you would have a straight tracker only. No cornering because the independent suspension would have to be replaced and a solid rear axle added. Don't get me wrong, I have built a V-8Z and loved it, but I am going a little lighter this time.[/quote']

I don't understand your reasoning for needing to replace the IRS if a v8 was used? If a 400hp v8 was used it would be able to run fine with the same IRS the 400hp sr20 uses, i would think, if im wrong explain this to me? I think 2100 is quite light for a 260z but an SBF 240z could easily make that, plus no lag. Just wondering

A v-8 would have to have much more hp to get the same power to weight. A 400 hp V-8 that weighs 2600 lbs would be slow compared to a 2100lb car with the same power. 2100 lbs and 400whp would require a V-8 to put out around 500hp at the wheels to get the same power to weight ratio. I was just mentioning that the power to weight of the car was what I consider optimal. Yes you can put as much hp as you want in a Z, but the more hp you have the more factory components you will have to replace. Frankly, I would worry about the stock rear end at 500whp. Most guys running numbers those big end up giving up their IRS so it doesn't explode.

gotta factor in power delivery..

a LS1 will have way better power band then a big turbo'ed SR20.

it also depends on other things like track type, suspension, gearing, etc.

i have a friend that has a 400whp KA turbo 240sx.. (S14)

his best friend has a 400whp SR 240sx (S14 too, same year and etc)..

the KA car is faster around TWS (road racing track here in texas) and both drivers are about equal..

theres alot more then just weight, even though weight is a big factor.

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure the LS1 swap with a T5 could rival that of the a SR20DET. You don't have the turbo and its accessories with the LS1 (intercooler, piping, etc.).

Most people here run the T56 and a R200 (or even heavier R230) rear end, which are probably the biggest culprits of a heavier Z.

A v-8 would have to have much more hp to get the same power to weight. A 400 hp V-8 that weighs 2600 lbs would be slow compared to a 2100lb car with the same power. 2100 lbs and 400whp would require a V-8 to put out around 500hp at the wheels to get the same power to weight ratio. I was just mentioning that the power to weight of the car was what I consider optimal. Yes you can put as much hp as you want in a Z, but the more hp you have the more factory components you will have to replace. Frankly, I would worry about the stock rear end at 500whp. Most guys running numbers those big end up giving up their IRS so it doesn't explode.

Its not just power to weight ratio, but torque, area under the curve, gearing, tires, etc...to see whose car is faster. I've seen a 500RWHP Cobra get the jump on a 650RWHP big turbo Supra (didn't brake boost) for at least 2 gears before the Supra finally caught up. The Supra is about 100 lbs lighter if I recall.

Its not just power to weight ratio, but torque, area under the curve, gearing, tires, etc...to see whose car is faster. I've seen a 500RWHP Cobra get the jump on a 650RWHP big turbo Supra (didn't brake boost) for at least 2 gears before the Supra finally caught up. The Supra is about 100 lbs lighter if I recall.

Exactly, I can hear the guy in the Cobra now. "Man, I was winning until he passed me"

He came in second even though the Supra had an inexperienced driver. Almost won though, if almost is good enough.