HybridZ

What's a fair price?

SuperKid

Alright, I'm looking at purchasing a Z car, and would like to know a fair price so I don't get ripped off. The car I'm looking at is a '70/'71. I don't know the build date, but the VIN is HLS30 - 04579 if that helps. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the car so I don't know how much you guys can help. But, I'll give the best discription I can. If you have any questions that will help you to help me, please ask them.

Alright, here's the description: The car is gray and some paint is chipping on the driver side fender and some red and white is poking through, so that tells me it's been painted a few times. They painted the front bumper the same color as the car and they did a poor job because the paint is peeling. It doesn't have the original outside mirror, but it looks like later style dual mirrors. They also put a wing on the back, not a large aluminum type wing, but a small fiberglass one. The vent covers are missing from the hatch, and the only badges left are the fender and hood badges. The interior is in fair condition, and it could use some care. It doesn't look like it's missing any pieces. The dash has a few small cracks. The guages apear to be the originals. It has the 20-160MPH speedo and the 140LB oil pressure guage. It doesn't have the original shift knob. I don't remember the exact miles, but it's somewhere around 150K. I don't know if it has the original engine. The body is in good condition with only a little rust, no dents or dings.

I know this is a long shot, but if you guys could give me a round-about figure, I would really appreciate it. Oh yeah, the asking price is $3900.

Thanks!

That VIN would make it probably a mid 1970. Mine is HLS30-17725 and it has a December 70 build date.

No offense, but you sound rather new to this buying a used car thing. Have you seen the car, or is this an ebay type transaction?

If the body is truely rust free (a HUGE if for a car from Indiana), then that alone might make the car worth the $3900. If it also had an uncracked dash, decent interior and ran well, then it would easily be worth 4K to 5K. It is one of the early ones so it does carry some price premium. Check the area where the rear hatch latch is for rust also.

Rust in body panels is fairly easy to fix if that is all the farther it goes. Rust in the battery tray area, the floor pans or the frame rails means the car might be worth as little as a grand.

Pop makes good recomendations... Pull the carpet up from the inside of the car and poke the floor pans with a screw driver... Also open the rear hatch and look for rust around the hatch opening on the body. Look for rust under the battery tray... Again poke around that area with a screw driver... Get under the car with a flash light and look at the frame rails... poke at the seems with the same screw driver.

If there is little to no rust, and it runs, $3900 for a first year 240Z is a decent price.

Mike

The car is in Mishawaka, IN at a place called "Land Auto Sales". Yes, I am new at buying a car. I'll have to head over there some time and see if I can get a more thorough look at it. I may go there sometime this week and try to get some pictures. Well actually, I can go over there and get some pictures, the only problem is that I need a new card reader for my digi. cam. If I'm able to get some pictures, what would be the best things to take pictures of?

Guest Zed.Yakuza

Hey, the floor near the rear of the frame rails is a rusted through. I looked at the car, and passed on it, it would need new frames rails + floor pan from what i saw, new headlight buckets, 4 tires (all have cracked sidewalls). I got on my hands and knees and poked under it, and i pulled a 50 cent-sized piece of rust. When i spoke to the gentlemen about the car, the manager of the auto place, it was his personal car, and he said 3900 firm. If you have any questions, or want to meet up and talk cars, 360-1560, im in south bend.

rust like that.... the car's worth less than $1000 in my opinion, if not less.

Cars with rust that requires full rebuild of chassis locations should be the $500 or giveaway catagory. Surface rust is one thing. Having to weld in repair pieces is something different.

Hey, the floor near the rear of the frame rails is a rusted through. I looked at the car, and passed on it, it would need new frames rails + floor pan from what i saw, new headlight buckets, 4 tires (all have cracked sidewalls). I got on my hands and knees and poked under it, and i pulled a 50 cent-sized piece of rust. When i spoke to the gentlemen about the car, the manager of the auto place, it was his personal car, and he said 3900 firm. If you have any questions, or want to meet up and talk cars, 360-1560, im in south bend.

I see. I should've known. The car's a 20 footer though. lol. That place did look a bit questionable too. Did you happen to see inside their shop? It's a nightmare in there!

You wouldn't happen to know of any other Z cars for sale in the area would you?