HybridZ

Chased down a corvette last night

datsunan

Out testing my re-routed wastegate signal hoses when I see some lights coming up behind me fast. Two cars are racing up behind me, we are going up a long steep hill where I like to test my boost without getting up to much speed. Just as one of the cars is about to pass me (i'm doing 80mph) I punch it and the turbo spools up quickly bringing me even with a new vett. He slows a little so he can see what just caught him. The other car had backed off already. Then I hear the vet engine roar and off he goes, I'm 3 car lengths back, and he's got the jump on me but I hit it and start to real him in, I check my boost and its right on the money for once(1.3 bar) I get up even with him in about 10 sec and I check our speed 130mph!(up hill!). We both back off as we get to the top of the hill and I pull up along side to get a look at him. I don't know the new vetts very well but I don't think it was a zo6 but it was the new style. As we crest the hill I drop back in behind him as we squeze through traffic. As soon as it opens up, here we go again, he has 2 car lenghts on me this time and I chased him down again, at speeds under 110 I could real him in but at 140mph I could only hold on. Time to turn up the boost and find him again. What a rush! Going to the drags this weekend, exspecting good times with my steady boost new clutch and 10lb fly.

while Im sure that was great for giggles ID strongly suggest not doing anything similar on the public street ever again.......think how you would have felt if you crested that ridge and there was a car broken down in front of you or some other problem,and you KILLED someone!

yeah WEVE ALL done it at times!(myself included years back,)

but the cost can be extremely high! Ive come to realize that the tracks the only place you can really expect to get away with 100mph plus driving

I agree with grumpy's message. But I'm just gonna say be careful out there. There's a line you don't need to cross when out on the street. And the line will be in different spots under different circumstances.

That being said, sounded like fun. I've gone 140 in a CRX that had the origonal suspension. I think we were probly going closer to 150 but the speedo stops at 140. I've got a great pic of the speedo pegged and the RPM pegged at 8k. So awsome.

yeh I know its not to smart to be driving so fast on public streets but both me and the vett slowed when in traffic and only got in it when the road was clear. I don't know how accurate my speedo is, I tried this site http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/ but I'm at work and our firewall will not let me see the the graph. I will try it from home to see how fast we were going. BW 5spd, 3.7 final, 225 50 16s, 6550rpm.

Just get on the freeway with the mile markers, get to where you do a mile in 60 seconds (60 mph), make a mental note. Drop it into the gear you raced the guy in, and note the rpm. Lets say you see 2700 rpm @ 60 in 4th and you were at 6700 rpm with the vette in 4th. then its (6700/2700)X60, or ~149mph.

I do this whenever i get a "new to me" car, especially if its an older one or with different size wheels/tires.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

yeh I know its not to smart to be driving so fast on public streets but both me and the vett slowed when in traffic and only got in it when the road was clear. I don't know how accurate my speedo is, I tried this site http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/[/url'] but I'm at work and our firewall will not let me see the the graph. I will try it from home to see how fast we were going. BW 5spd, 3.7 final, 225 50 16s, 6550rpm.

I think that is IE, not your firewall. The graph seems to work with Netscape and Firefox, but not IE.

think how you would have felt if you crested that ridge and there was a car broken down in front of you or some other problem' date='and you KILLED someone!

yeah WEVE ALL done it at times!(myself included years back,) driving[/quote']

Uhh...you killed someone?:icon52:

Out of Santee on the 52. I've seen you around the Q on friday nights, last time I saw you you just about blew your tire off during a burnout.

Surprisingly enough, there is another Orange 240z in my area that sounds like it has a V8 in it. So that was probably him. I haven't really pealed out that much, I'm trying to take it easy int he first few k mi.

Hey Paul, I thought that the guy you showed the picture of was Brandon also until I went back and read the sig. I was there the night he did that burnout and that kid actualy blew out the tire and spent the next 20 or so minutes finding a jack because he had his spare but forgot he needed a jack.

For anyone who is concerned the hill on 52 is a very long straight stretch of highway with a gradual crest, enough so that even at a very high rate of speed someone would have to close thier eyes in order to not see a dissabled/slow/eratic etc. vehicle in the road ahead of them. Also the typical non rush hour speed for that stretch of road is between 80 and 90 mph and that includes the cops.

Paul, I would like to know how your car does at the next drags, I need to get an idea about racing you again. BTW the last race I ran out there before I took the car apart was 8.7xx at 79.xx mph with a 1.8x 60' time (1/8 mile track for those who are not familiar with racelegal). I am hoping that when I get the car back together I will be in the 8.5 to 8.6 range. I bought one of the other Fidanza's from the same guy you bought yours from, what do you think of yours? I also bought a 6 puck clutch and pressure plate that "southland clutch" told me could easily hold up to 400 hp. Any way hopefuly I will be out there racing again in about two months.

Dragonfly

Hey Miles I was hoping you would be there tomorrow. I am hoping to cut 2-3 tenths off my best of 8.89 @ 84mph. I know I can do better than that! The FW is really nice, have you got yours yet? Car definitly revs faster in 1st and 2nd, gets my turbo spooled sooner. I also went with a clutch for 400hp but did not want the chatter that is sometimes associated with the puck and ceramic style clutch since my car is a daily driver for me. I am still breaking it in, the real test will be friday night in 3rd gear and 17psi. I'll let you know how much more work you will need to do to keep up with me later. Hurry up and get it on the road, I fear mine will be in need of a new HG soon, I already have a leak on my exhaust manifold that needs repair.

Well Paul I was not able to make it out to the races, but I am curious how you did. I have recieved my flywheel and I am very happy about how it looks. I took the FW with me when I went to Southland Clutch and we went through several blank clutch hubs until I decided on the six puck sprung hub, then while I waited they assembled my clutch for me and set me up with the proper pressure plate for the clutch and fly wheel. At this time all of it is sitting in boxes in the garage along with my new ripper shifter and fully rebuilt BW T5.

Its a bummer that I am not going to be able to make it to the dyno day because I really wanted to see what it has while the rest of the clubs hanging around.

Dragonfly

Hey Paul' date=' I thought that the guy you showed the picture of was Brandon also until I went back and read the sig. I was there the night he did that burnout and that kid actualy blew out the tire and spent the next 20 or so minutes finding a jack because he had his spare but forgot he needed a jack. /QUOTE']

No jack, nope, but I wouldn't change my tire on the street either. Flat bed that puppy home.