HybridZ

One of the Good Moments

Phantom

Had the opportunity today to surprise my wife with a call for us to meet for lunch - something my schedule rarely allows. We hooked up at a local resaurant - even ended up parked next to each other - and had a pleasant unrushed meal together. On the way back to work I was cruising along in 5th at about 40 mph, window rolled down on a beautiful clear 75 degree day, with some relaxing tunes playing on the Alpine stereo system and realized it was just one of those good moments that occurrs too seldom in my busy life.

Your born, you live, and you die. The live part is what makes life worth living and is truly what you make of it. Comes a point in your life, your not old enough yet, that you realize that money, success, sometimes power, doesn't fill the niche. Life becomes more valuable at that point, you look at things differently and you tend to do more of the things you've always wanted to do.

Cheers, you are realizing what life really is. When you die, your friends and family will show up, the number of those people is the measure of what you are worth as a person, not a measure of what you did, just how you treated people.

As a whole the folks in this country seem to be very goal oriented. The problem is, in life, the end goal is death. To make it all worth while we have to enjoy the ride there, not the destination. It's a very difficult concept to actually realize. Understanding it is the first, difficult step, but then actually putting it into action is nearly impossible for many people.

I made a decision years ago that placed my family above my job and many other things. It has cost me professionally and personally in the many "things" that I don't have. What I do have, however, is a wife of nearly 33 years that still loves me dearly and two grown, college educated sons, one of whom is married and now has a son of his own. I wouldn't change a thing.

Not that i had a moment like Phantom here but today i did win a free cap and T-shirt from State Fair corn dog autographed by Michael Waltrip,( insert shallow woo hoo here) actually it's just printed. But hey, it's a $40 value, E-bay here i come. :mrgreen::willy_nil

Guest bastaad525

I try to make sure me and my wife have 'good moments' like that at least a couple times a month. We eat out way too often, go places way too often, but we're happy.

Of course, we have way less money saved up than we should have because of it, but we are really happy.

I agree with that mantra... you only get one life, you GOTTA try to enjoy it as much as you can. I might be regretting that later when it comes time to retire... I dunno, but I'd rather me miserable in old age, than miserable during the greatest years of my life. I may be poor when I'm old, but I'll be rich with great memories :D

Well... hopefully our kid(s) are very succesful and will take care of us :P

I made a decision years ago that placed my family above my job and many other things. It has cost me professionally and personally in the many "things" that I don't have. What I do have' date=' however, is a wife of nearly 33 years that still loves me dearly and two grown, college educated sons, one of whom is married and now has a son of his own. I wouldn't change a thing.[/quote']

Good decision, I'm on the other end of that, my wife and I have a while yet to reach 33 years of age, and are planning on having kids (2) at about that age. 5 years strong and looking forward to many more. We don't need to go out to have fun, and we really enjoy eachother's company, and when we are apart we still miss eachother. Met in 1998 married 2000, never once regretted either.

That's why I don't understand the 50% divorce rate... no major strife in 7 years, no real drag out fights, (I'm too laid back to fight, she does most of the fighting on the rare occasion) we always negotiate the big decisions. We talk a lot and share email 2-3 times a day during the week, usually call each other 2-3 times a day... woah, wait a minute, we are so sickening.

speaking of that, you don't want to know what we call eachother, just leave it at that.

Enjoy the ride of life, you only get one ticket. :cool:

Guest bastaad525

I have no kids :P

probably will have our first in the next few years.

i'm friggin terrified......

Phantom - you and I seem to think a lot alike on this brother. Yeah I'm giving up some measure of possible financial and career sucess, not fullfilling my full potential maybe, but my time spent with my wife is more important, and she and I are much happier because of it.

A very wise man once told me that there are only two certainties in life...

"Death and Disappointment. Set your sights low and you'll be pleasantly surprised a few times per week!"

It's stuck with me for almost three decades, and the older I get, the more I resist that thought.

I remember posting a while back about "What did you accomplish". I think this certainly fits into that category. Having a good relationship with your spouse and truly loving each other, avoiding all the "Springer-like" drama in the world is the absolute best way to keeping sane. Communication, constant support of each other, and reconfirmation of your love and devotion will get you through a LOT with your spouse. It shouldn't be a power struggle or lies and deceit to get by or achieve stalemate.

For the first time in 19 years I'm out on my own without another employer providing for me. I'm confident on one hand, and nervous as hell on the other. In three weeks I've lost 10 pounds and gotten a LOT less sleep than I would have ever thought. I've also spent a lot of money establishing a company that will hopefully be successful, but might flop. My wife has been 100% behind me on this and supporting beyond belief. There are previous lovers who would have just added to the mountain of stress, probably not being supportive or encouraging.

Being supportive, honest, having open communication and deep respect for each other will also help you beyond description or belief in the bedroom as well. Trust and respect go hand in hand when exploring the intimate side of the relationship the two of you share. Shut down communication and start taking each other for granted and you'll be on shaky ground within months. I spent 32 years finding my perfect mate and dated a LOT of women along the way. I'd make deals with Gods or devils to keep that which I have built with my wife for the last 6 years.

Death and Disappointment... maybe in the end that is all there is... But it is certainly a choice you can make to go down fighting. I turned a corner on that statement a few years back and told someone I'd rather go out with grace and dignity.

You get one shot, so make the most of it. :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Dale' date='

The stereo is a 500 Watt RMS, 7-speaker, Alpine system. I'm working on the bigger cam & heads but they won't overpower this radio!:-D[/quote']

AHH yes! MMM, now I guess I have to upgrade my little 30 watt POS Sony player. That would be the best of both worlds! Hey for what it's worth 470 RWHP can be done with AFR 205's, FAst 90mm Intake, 90mm TB, and Thunder racings new cam. I think its like a 231/234 112 LSA. There was a post about it on LS1Tech.com by the guy that's running the combo now. Bet it idles better than mine does too!

Edit: Here's the thread. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395815

I'm running two audiobahn amps, four 3way 6.5inch speakers and a 12 inch sub in the Vette... Crystal clear sound with an Alpine MP3 head unit. This is by far the best sounding system I've ever had in a car, and I've installed many over the last 24 years.

Mike