HybridZ

Im outta here....

SuperDan

• Administrators

Going deer hunting in Arizona for a few days. Be back Saturday or Sunday.

First time out for this new gun, T/C Encore carbine in 7mm-08, I also have a 375 H&H barrel for it but have not had the time (or wanting to take the beating) to sight it in yet.

tc.jpg

I have a used my grandfathers 300 savage lever action since I was 16 but it’s getting kind of old and time to retire it from hunting duty.

It should be interesting using a single shot rifle, I did a lot of practicing and I can now reload it and be ready to take a second shot in 3 – 4 seconds.

I really like this gun, I did not have any time to work up some hand loads for it so I bought some Winchester Supreme box ammo, long story short after getting it all sighted in, 4 shot group at 200 was 1 ¼ inch and 1 flyer, nice!

The hunt reports from Arizona fish and game site leads one to believe that it will be a hard hunt and we will be lucky if we even see a deer, but my uncle called the other day, he and 5 of his buddies just got back from the unit adjacent to were we are going, all bagged big bucks and said they saw so many deer that they were able to be selective about which ones to shoot…. So we are hopeful.

Later.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

375 H&H? goddamn the ammo is expensive for that! isn't it like 60 bucks for box of 20?

Not as bad as it use to be, light deer loads are cheap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=973500

But yeah, the heavy loads can get $$$, no plans to hunt cape buffalo though. I never hunt for trophy, just to stock up my deep freezer. :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=263477

Uuuhhh, that's not the point of a single shot rifle. :D

Easy enough, until they are hauling *** up the side of a mountain :wink:

Good Luck Dan! I bet the 375 will break you from the habit of shooting it. I just got my 30-378 WBY mag back, with a newly installed 30" Hart SS barrel, 1.250 at the receiver and .950 at the muzzle, custom brake, and 10lb of #6 shot in the butt of the synthetic stock. Weighs in at 29Lbs, so I doubt if it'll kick.

• Administrators
I bet the 375 will break you from the habit of shooting it.

Yup, sending that sucker off to have a muzzle brake put on it, hoping for .308 like recoil :)

Weighs in at 29Lbs, so I doubt if it'll kick.

I bet my little .17 HMR kicks more than that thing! :icon52:

It shoots fantastic, recoil is about like a 80 gr .243. We went bambi hunting and my boy got him a little 10 point buck on Sat, after dragging that sucker about a mile, we headed home, got back around dark Sat night. Spent sunday making jerky in my dehydrator.

I think I was born 100 years too late.

How was your hunt SuperDan?

• Administrators
We went bambi hunting and my boy got him a little 10 point buck on Sat

Great job!

I think I was born 100 years too late.

Me too, or at least 50 years, I did not want to come home.

How was your hunt SuperDan?

Thought nobody would ever ask :)

“Highway to hell” or “It sounded like a good idea at the time…”

Thursday, Day 1.

Left San Diego at 06:00am, got to El Centro to hook up with my dad and brother around 07:30.

We have always kind of roughed it on our hunts in the past, you know no tents just sleeping bags and cots.

My dad decided to bring his new 40 ft Fleetwood diesel pusher, triple slides, satellite TV, the works.

Not a good idea as we find out later.

We head out of Hell Centro around 08:00 am, after a lot of screwing around along the way we make it to Red Rock Arizona and the 5 mile long dirt road that will take us to our camp area.

First obstacle, an old wood plank bridge spanning a 50’ wide river…. Sign says “ Warning! 3 Ton limit on bridge”

So, while my cousin and I are trying to figure out how many tons the RV weighs, “… how many pounds to a ton?” “… does not matter dude, we are WAY over that limit, this thing weighs like 27000 lbs” my dad is trying to “sneak up” on this sucker.

I hear creaking and groaning coming from underneath us, I turned around to see we were half way across this thing then poping sounds start, like rivets shooting out of the girders, I look at my dad and he looks back at me with the classic deer in headlights look and quickly turns back facing the road, he punches it! We are across and alive…. Thank god.

Ok, we are on the dirt road, we have about 5 dry washes to transverse, if we hit a bad one we will have to turn around and camp were we are or at worst we get stuck.

So we come to the first wash, hmmm… not to bad looking, we get across it with little effort.

Second wash, “hey dad, that looks a little steeper, we go should real slow on this one” too late, front license plate and bottom of the bra are toast, loud crunch and all. As we come out of it, we hear the horrible sound of frame or transmission or something dragging on rocks, ouch!

So we are cruising along again, I look up the rear camera and see… nothing! In particular, the 98 Ford Ranger that we had in tow… “uh dad”, “what!”, “uh..” I point to the monitor, “.. ahh crap!” we check the side view mirrors, nothing, but you can’t see what you are towing anyways with out the camera, we stop get out and confirm that the camera lens is covered in 1/8 inch of dust and we still have the truck in tow.

So after that we were cool, made it to camp around 03:30pm, much later than we wanted to but we made it.

We setup camp, you know, real tough stuff like gather firewood, level the RV, pop the slides out, get the satellite TV working etc.

My brother, who was delayed in El Centro showed up about 04:30.

We head out to were we plan to hunt in the morning and get a plan together, get back around 06:00 and get the campfire going.

My dad brought some bitchen steaks for dinner and we sat around and drank beer and got crap faced, told a lot of old funny hunting stories and I passed out about 09:00pm

To be continued…

It's a wonderful story, and he tells it so well, with such enthusiasm... Until the pee breaks... :toetap05:

Come on Dan, turn the page! :lmao:

You guys and your fancy rifles... I hunt with an old 1908 8MM mauser with the barrel cut down. I've also got an old 7mm Civil war rifle that still works well and breaks your shoulder every chance it gets! :shock:

Mike :cool:

I don't think I could ever bring myself to shoot a dear' date=' or any other large game, but I would thoroughly enjoy shooting those damned birds that poop on my cars! Haha.

Maybe I'll go huntin when I visit family in "east" north carolina for thanksgiving.[/quote']

Ugh! don't even get me started on birds that poop on your car. :mad: Freakin' flying nuclear wasteplants!!!:cuss: Those things are just rats with wings.:fmad: