HybridZ

crosswind, anyone?

2003z

Uh... This is the captain speaking... we'll be landing in a few minutes... please fasten your seatbelts... Oh God!... We're going sideways!... I don't want to die!... Help me Mommy!... ... Okay, we've landed... I hope you've enjoyed your flight... :shock: I'd be scared sh*tless flying like that!

Says a lot about a 777, makes me think it's a pretty safe plane. I was on a flight that had high crosswinds on landing, I was in a window seat and could see the wing. Watching the spoilers (those doors that pop up from the wing) I could tell it was going to be rough. As we got over the runway we could tell the plane was about 15 degrees and fighting the wind. The pilot put the plane down with one bounce. As the nose came down the whole plane broke out in applause. I think everybody complimented him on the way out. One heck of a good landing. Knowing what I know about aircraft and pilots, I could tell he'd had a rough time, great pilot, amazing landing.

- Joe

ok I had to find it on another website!

That's awsome! haha

I've landed in gusting 30knot crosswinds before in a little Cessna 172N but wow!!

A few times with my intructor I have done a slip, where I slam down one rudder, and do the opposite aileron and we get to fly sideways... that's always fun..

thanks for sharing!

PrO:

I hope you are kidding that your instructor allowed you to land with G30 crosswinds, the poor little 172N is only demonstrated to handle 14kts! If so, then good job and I'm glad you didn't damage the airframe. That said, I have been in a similar situation and still continued to land. You just come in hotter if you have runway to spare for the float. I know how scary it can look when you have that crab in until about 200' then bring in the rudder to line up with the runway only to see that it is going to be a close one. Remember, the two safest words in a cessna are GO AROUND, LOL.

You just can't do it as easily in a 747 or a B-52 because of their hugeness and a whole lotta lag between you telling it to climb and it actually rotating back up then finally climbing. Hell, a C310 (smallish light twin) takes appreciably longer to rotate than does a C172N. I guess the B-52 (747's swivel a little) has to have the swiveling landing gear like that because they do eventually have to land and since they use up a lot of runway, they might not have many options!

Pat (<-CFII)

A few times with my intructor I have done a slip' date=' where I slam down one rudder, and do the opposite aileron and we get to fly sideways... that's always fun..

thanks for sharing![/quote']In the navy we call that the 'wing down, top rudder' technique, which is the way I do all my crosswind landings still, even in the 767-400 that I currently fly. It works best for me!

patzky im so serious.. lol

My POH shows the Skyhawk 172N is demonstrated for 15 knot crosswinds..

anyway.. yeh the winds were at a solid 18kts but were gusting up to 30kts..

BUT i'm still pre-solo and my instructor said well you need crosswind practice.. so lets try it out.. and i'm here to take the controls if I have to....

when I touched down those 3 or 4 times i don't think the winds were actually hitting 30 knots.. but that was the last report from ATIS we got from the airport.. gusting to 30 knots..

but it was all good.. and the landings were perfecto!!

However on my checkride this past friday.. that was another story.. that was BAD.. had really bad cross winds again.. and lots of thermals above the runway.. and the checkride instructor took over since he could tell I was fighting the wind, and he tried to put her down, and it was the roughest landing I have ever felt.. and this was a pilot with 3,000 hours who "slammed" that thing on the ground..

scary time ;)