HybridZ

are YOU really working toward your goal?

are you really working toward reaching your goal or just wasteing money on your current engine combo....

most of you gentelmen are falling into the most comon TRAP there is, limited thinking BASED on modifying the engine size and/or type that came from the factory in your car, or buying parts almost randomly as you get DEALS

yeah I know, it seems easier and cheaper and its far less intimidating if your not especially skilled, but in the long run it ALWAYS PAYS to think thinks thru in detail, as to what you REALLY want to have when your done, sure that l83,l98,LT4 with a few mods seems fast,but by the time you finish modifications youll have spent a good deal of money, and not have nearly the results , in hp/tq you hoped to get,that,that same money spent might have purchased

Ive seen many guys constantly throw parts/money, in an almost never ending repetative/cycle at their engine based on the stock engine block and in most cases heads, when a careful assessment, as to thier true goals would have saved them a great deal of money and effort and time, ESPECIALLY if they had built a seperate engine and installed that once it was complete, plus when it came time to sell the car they would not be giving THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in parts away they were getting little or no money FOR!

all Im saying here is THINK IT THRU CAREFULLY....if you want, a supercharger,you really need to build the engine to USE a supercharger, a big block,is usually cheaper in the long run if your goals are over 500hp N/A,or if your thinking about a twin turbo LS2, then don,t waste a good deal of money modifying your current engine, first. PLAN YOUR PATH/BUDGET AN ATTAIN YOUR TRUE GOAL!

theres 500 hp 383 engins

theres 720hp 572 engines

theres 505 hp aluminum engines ETC.

http://ohiocrank.com/enginekits.html

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/ChevyBigBlockV8s/572.html

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html

I see guys all the time who have dropped $5000,$8000 or more on mods, that have tried several cams, differant cylinder heads, several intakes ETC. they spent the money, yet have little to show for it!,YEAH! IM WELL aware that its far easier to spend $150,or $300 at a time,but THINK ABOUT WHAT YOULL HAVE, LATER!PLAN your mods, think it thru AND STICK TO THE PLAN!

I thought I was... Then I decided I really wanted to go with an LS1 style setup for the track car... That said, I need it painted first so I can finish wiring, install the dash and gages, lexan and get the brakes buttoned up, the fuel blumbed, and install the rear differential.

Once I get myself billing on a contract, this project will become job one again... Until then, I'm ringing phones and beating the streets.

Mike

Thats exactly how I built my V8 rx7.. well, the way I thought the whole way. I wanted it quick and dirty. Different, but reliable. I bought the car cheep, bought drivetrain cheep, built the rest on my own. Along the way I stoped sometimes and thought about 'what else' I could do.. you know, the while I'm at it thing, but decided to just DO WHAT I SET OUT TO DO. And I did. For about $2000 I have a car I enjoy driving, have fun with, and generaly beat on without worying about breaking it.

I have a plan (the thing's not 'done' yet, but thats the fun of this hobby! :) ) and when I have the time and resources, I will follow through with it. Basicaly, I will build on what is there, without making bits of it obsolete (which would equal wasted money in the end.) I am well aware of how much cash can be wasted however, as I currently have about $8000 into my 75 280z, Basicaly a stock engine w/cam, 5 speed KA box, swaped rear diff, yada yada... lots of wasted time/money, and I have to go back and re-do a LOT of it... I know that I could have done more than I did with all the money I've spent, but hey.. live and learn. :)

I absolutely have my car planned out to the Nth degree. I am just getting impatient and want to get started.

Motor:

New LR4 4.8 liter long block

'04 LS1 camshaft

'98-'02 Camaro/Firebird injectors, oil pan, water pump, intake plenum, and front pulleys

ETC from '02 Corvette

'04 Grand Am cruise control

'04 Grand Am A/C compressor, condenser.

Vintage Air Evaporator/blower assembly

'04 Grand Am 105 amp alternator

Oversized K&N cone air filter

Howell Engineering Modified ECM and engine harness

LS1-EDIT

Transmission:

Built 4L60E

Custom 4" aluminum driveshaft

Rear Axle:

'93 Infiniti R200 LSD w/custom CV halfshafts

Custom diff mounts

MSA 5 lug hubs

MSA adjustable rear control arms

'04 Grand Am 10" rear disc brakes w/custom bracketry

Braided steel brake lines

Stock height Bilstein cartidges and 225 lb. stock height springs

Front axle:

New rack and pinion assembly

Modified front struts w/ 2.5" 200 lb. aftermarket springs

'04 Grand Am master cylinder

MSA Cobra 13" front brake kit w/5-lug hubs

Custom adjustable lower control arms and tension rods

Braided steel brake lines

Stock height Bilstein cartidges

Misc:

New windshield and door windows

New rear view side mirrors

'04 Grand Am rear view mirror w/map lights

All new wiring with relay control

Recaro seats

Custom brake and foot pedals

Autometer gauges

Momo steering wheel

Laptop docking station

16 gallon fuel cell

Walbro 255

Custom radiator

4500 CFM electric radiator fan assembly

Custom strut tower bars and body stiffening pieces

Grand Am seat belts with retractable shoulder harnesses

New weatherstripping

New interior

Custom Oilite body mounts, frame bushings, and suspension and steering mounts

17X8 front wheels - offset - TBD w/235/45-17's

17X9 rear wheels - offset - TBD w/255/45-17's (I like the KMC Hot Wheels sixty-eights)

And since this is going to be my daily driver, I am leaving the car at the stock ride height...

I have been building my car in phases due to limited funds and wanting to drive the car in the summer. Each phase compliments the next and I will only be doing a couple things twice. I have found that when projects go undriven for too long you forget why you’re doing it and loose motivation. When it’s all said and done I’ll probably have spent $500-$1000 more than if I would have just done it from start to finish, but I have been able to capitalize on great deals that I would not have been able to. I try to stockpile parts throughout the summer, and save my winter funds for materials and unforeseen exspences.

Guest tony78_280z

Grumpy, I'll agree with your statement, BUT

"There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path."

&

"Sometimes it is the journey that is important, not the destination."

I'm one of those odd ball guys who likes to solve a problem a bit differently. I look at what I got and try to make it work as cheaply and effectively as possible. I like to spend time in the Junkyard. I like that stroll through the hardware store thinking, "how can I make this work". Then there is a moment of inspiration as the idear hits me. I like to make my own pieces and modify existing pieces to get it to fit the jigsaw puzzle of the project. I'm fond of Vizards "How to build SBC on a budget" I like to do things that everyone else says can't be done. I like to creatively solve the problems.

Of course this attitude gets me in trouble. And alot of times I end up doing somethings twice. I plan to install a cam to get a little more umph out of my 305, while I'm rebuilding/refreshing my 350. Why, just to have some more fun while I wait.

"There is no replacement for cubic dollars", but it's much more thrilling to get good results with alot less money.

Alot of us can't simply lay down 10k all at once on what we'd want to have. Instead we comprimise with ourselves. It was far more important for me to get the Z up and running after the motor swap so I could drive it, than it was to get each and every part and installed excelent working condition before I was able to turn the key. Then, as I can get together more money to make improvements/repairs, the car is only down for a little bit each time.

I've always had a goal/theme in mind. I want my Z to have about 300-350hp NA and with good street manors and fuel economy. And then safely burn 100 shot of NOS. 400-450 hp when I need it, and a quick/efficient sports car for cruising. I haven't even gotten the 300-350hp I'm looking for yet. I've looked at NOS systems and done a little research, but it is far down the road yet. But, my car is running, and I'm always making improvements.

Sounds nice (expensive) keep us updated on the progress

I need to get this totalled Grand Am out of my garage first... :)

As soon as the Z ('73 240Z) is safely nestled in my garage, I will feel tons better. Yes, it will be expensive. My target is to build a '05 350Z EATER that runs on regular gas, gets 26+ MPG on the highway, all for about $20K. I am not into the electronic gadgetry on new cars. I want an elemental sports car with roll down windows, and I also need to build something the wife will be able to drive if need be, which means A/C will be required.

It will be a long build as I am going to take the body down to bare metal (mostly) and remove all the old undercoating. I am also going to change color (currently orange) before I reassemble this big a$$ jigsaw puzzle... :-D

BTW, this is not my first car build... :)

I'd have to agree with Tony,

Sometimes it is the journey that is important, not the destination.

Not to mention I can start my project today and start getting enjoyment from it, or I can save up money for years to buy exactly what I want only to have other emergencies come up to threaten the savings.

I'd rather die with a half baked project in the garage than a pocket full of money.

I agree in large part.

Ive fallen into that trap a couple times before with the vehicles I've owned and I've learned a lesson or two. When i got my Z back, I made sure I had a DD to get me around so I didnt get stuck in that deadly "I have to do this quick cause this car is all I have" trap.

I sat down and gave the project weeks of though as to how to proceed and what to do, when, why and how. As well as really trying to assess the proper order of things. ie, not building my engine before I tore the body down to deal with the rust.. Install and engine then pull it all back out and strip the car seemed foolish.

I have alot of things still "up in the air" but these are parts of the project I havent gotten to yet. I've decided exactly what I'm doing to the body, what color its gonna be and how I want it to look. So, I'm concentrating on that, all the while educating myself as to EFI systems, suspension setups/tuning, turbo theory/design/implimentation and anything else I need to learn. I wont let impatience get the better of me this time around, nor will I let myself waste my extremely limited funds on crap I dont need or will replace later.

That said, I understand the "bit by bit" mentality. I've lived in its shadow my whole life. Alot of poeple (myself included) simply dont have the money to lay 10k down on an engine swap all at once. Its little by little, or nothing at all. In that instance, I'd rather buy and swap the engine, drive it around for 4-5 months, then get the money for the cam, or heads, or whatever, and do it peice by peice. You have to repeat yourself which may not be the most efficient way to do it, but if its the *only* way to do it - Have fun.

I think though alot of poeple arent in that spot and let impatience get the better of them - they want to proceed too quickly. The individual really needs to make an honest assesment of their capabilitys, financially, skill-wise, time-wise, etc and decide how to proceed from that assesment.

Poeple *really* should come up with a definate plan though. Even if your gonna bit by bit the project, knowing *exactly* what you need and when your gonna need it is important. One thing I think Grumpy was alluding to was buying something just 'cause. Not because it fits into your project or because its needed but because it was there to be bought. Like, say a set of heads or the like that arent what you have in mind for your finished project (say, gt40p's when your project calls for AFR165's) because you saw a decent deal. Ive seen alot of similar stuff from a good friend of mine.. He has a '67 Mustang and hes nickle and diming himself to death on it. Doing little stuff when he has to go back and re-do alot of it later.. Or buying things that dont fit the project or buying the wrong things first ( he got a new 302 longblock and didnt fix the front suspension which is so damn squirrely its dangerous to drive it over 60mph, heh).

Good advice, but it’s also possible to fail by excess zeal in the opposite extreme: making a detailed plan outlining precisely what to do from start to finish, then religiously adhering to that plan over many years, despite the emergence of better or more tractable alternatives.

Speaking from experience, I got talked into going the big-block route back in 1999. The logic made sense – the engine compartment is large enough, the chassis can be reinforced sufficiently well, and the eventual potential is far superior. Instead, I should have kept my 280Z stock, bought a generic passenger car with a 350 (back when they were still available!) that ran 17’s, slowly modified that engine to run maybe low 15’s, then swapped it into my Z. Instead I have had a garage queen for 6 years, with a great-sounding plan but with a profound gap between theory and practice.

In an imperfect world, there’s much to be said for flexibility, spontaneity, and tactical diversions from a steady course.

Just FYI, (if you don't care to read about ANOTHER persons story please stop reading here) I'm planning my second swap which when all is said and done will be my daily driver. Fuel injection, overdrive, and A/C. Currently I have 2 running vehicles (one a hybrid) and between the two I have one vehicle with A/C (no OD or FI). At the moment I have the funds to do the project but not the time, hence the planning. I will have to spend a lot of time studying the wiring for the fuel injection and also buy and learn megasquirt which will be my biggest hurdle I'm afraid. Other than that I pretty much have everything down.

mild fuel injected 350 vortec + 700r4 + 3.54 rearend = PERFECT daily driver, atleast in my book

My friends always joke with me about actually finishing a project car and I thought about for a while.

It's building the car that's the fun for me, not to mention all the cool tools you get to buy along the way. Besides, it keeps me from doing yard work!

To some it's the Journy. To others (Like me) it is the experience of driving the car. Sure it is cool to tell people you did this, or you built that. But form and function must meet and live together in harmony or it is all just art... OCC Motorcycles come to mind there.

I want this project done and out of the way so I can focus on licensing and buying a dedicated race car. Can't do that until I finish my HPDE car.

Mike