HybridZ

Wheel Help

Here is my major concern, quality! I know Sparco has a huge reputation for having great products. But so does MSA. But I about a year and a half ago puchased a Naugahyde Shift Knob From MSA and now that knob like to spin. The way the knob was assembled seems questionable, a splined metal "screw head" pressed into compressed cardboard. Well overtime that cardboard has given way and the splines not longer have as much to grip on in. Is this the same durability I can expect from the steering wheel?

I think the Carbon Fiber one is out of the question. It would get scratched over time and might even fade into a gross yellow. Not to mention I think that wheel would be kind of slippery. Not exactly what I want in my hands if I have to make abrupt maneuvers.

I kinda question the Seude wheel idea to. Wouldn't that just wear smooth after a while? I know that with by skate shoes that were seude after rubbing against one another so many times the "fuzziness" just work away leaving a slick, smooth surface behind, which is not better than the Carbon Wheel!

I think you can see where I'm heading with this. I want a Leather/Naughahyde/Alcantara wheel, but I do not want it to fall apart.

Do you think the MSA unit will hold up, or should I just pay the extra "dough" and get a really high quality steering wheel that is bound to hold up for a long long time?

Oh yeah and once again. 13" or 13.5"

Okay now that I've got your attention what do you think would be a better steering wheel size for autoX/drifting but still be feasable to use for daily driving. Also this is for more 280zx, which does have power steering.

13" (330mm), or 13.5" (350mm)

This probably sounds like a silly thing to get hung up on, but I am. If it helps, to shy to tell what size wheel you use. All I know is that the 14.5 wheels in my car seems way to big. So I know for sure I want it to be at least and inch smaller in diameter, but would the extra 0.5" be pushing it too much?

Oh and while I am at it here are the wheels I am considering.

Sparco Lap 3

Motorsport Autocross Wheel

MSA Evolution Wheel

I'm not sure I really like the "evo" one, seems too stock looking

Also how do you place a custom order for Volk Wheels? I in there calalogue you see "custom" offsets to like -1, but on a 11" rim. What if you need a 12" rim with -13 offset or something, how do you get that?

Also how are Gramlights compared to Volks "typical" forged wheels (GT-C, GT-V, TE-37 etc)? Yes I know they are made both by Rays Engineering/Mackin Industries, but is anything really lost by going with the advanced casting design? I mean the weights of the wheels are very close in weight.

These wheels are awesome!

57pro Gramlights, silver

and these

T57-RC

I wonder if they come with the option of the rounded lip like the 57pro?

i've got a luigi steeringwheel, nice quality, feel good when you use it, good gripping.

ok the exhausttemp. gauge looks a bit od, but still they fit, so if you want an extra 2" gauge you know where to put it ;)

the horn button i rewired so i use the headlight "cleaning" button (hence i taken thoos away and used some glassfiber to get rid of them when i repainted it)

attachment.php?attachmentid=14491&stc=1.jpg

Ive had a Grant, blah. Fell apart within 2 months.

Ive had a MOMO, double blah, waste of money. Grips made squeaky noises when squeezed, and then fell apart.

I went to the Long Beach Veterans Stadium High Performance Swap Meet about 2 years ago. I ran into a guy who had 2 Dino Steering wheels layed out on a towel. He wanted $25 for each, and i bought them. The quality is outstanding. They are a very sexy wheel. I am still on the first one, and it was about 10 years old and used before i bought it.

Check out Dino Steering wheels. They are a marine wheel for boats. I have mine installed in the 280zx with an adapter. Im not sure if it comes with the wheel. I believe all aftermarket wheels require adapters.

http://www.dinomarine.com/

my friend has an awesome Sparco wheel with Alcantara on the top of the wheel and although nice and grippy, it will get "fuzzy" over time and use. i've got a Grant wheel with the carbon fiber finish and it isn't slippery (feels great actually, nice thickness) and hasn't faded but it did get knicked and scratched. i think for something that involves more than just leisurely driving (drifting, racing in general) a steering wheel is going to get worn down no matter what kind.. its just the nature of it. my suggestion is to just get a good wheel that isn't too expensive with a durable finish.. leather perhaps. a buddy of mine is building up a race porsche 944 and bought this wheel and put the momo horn button in, its nicer than we expected and was only $45 shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Offical-MTVs-PIMP-MY-RIDE-320mm-Race-Steering-Wheel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ8017927812QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

SW-94150-BK-B.jpg

oh90-94165bkred.jpg

Guest Z Draci

I can't really comment on the size, but I can tell you that the MSA steering wheels (which are Grant wheels) have poor contruction. The stitching isn't even straight and the entire thing feels like a elementary school craft project.

I'd definately go for a Momo or Sparco.

Since you have power steering, I'd go with the smaller wheel. If you have big monster hands, I'd go with the larger one to help you flick it around better.

12" is too small, they use those on go karts.

13" is perfect, thats a common size for aftermarket steering wheels.

14" is too big, thats going back to stock.

TBH i dont like any of those wheels you posted. Im sold on the quality of Dino steering wheels. Hey, you asked :)

Also, if you are an audio buff, Dino offers a sport wheel that has controls that work with major brand stereos.

320mm to 350mm.. no more or no less. IMHO, the perfect size is 320mm. if you have fat legs, go for the "D" shape (flat bottom) lol. consider something like the Momo Apache (350mm) since it has the thumb pads, its pricey but you may be able to find one on ebay used.

I like a 13" wheel too. I have an older Grant that looks very much like your carbon fiber wheel but with vinyl on the rim. It's OK. I have no complaints about the stitching. Maybe the quality issues are a more recent development??? Mine is at least 10 years old. I do wish the rim was a little thicker, but I can say that having used a 15, a 14, and a 13 the 13 is definitely the best, and having used 4 spokes and 3 spokes, 3 spokes is also preferred IMO.

Thanks guys I really appreciate. I think I will go with the 13" wheel since that seemed like the ideal size. Also on another note, would the MSA mounting hib work with the SPARCO wheel? I mean they have the same hub center and are six bolts I believe. My reasoning is a) I am not sure SPARCO has a mounting hub for my car and two, odds are good that the MSA unit might be cheaper. Or do you think it would be better just to get everything SPARCO?

Lap3 wheel

I will most likely get the silver one since that matches my color theme perfectly :-D Plus I think it makes this wheel look better all around. For $250.00 :shock: this wheel had better be damn good. Plus however much for the hub :x

It'll be worth though, I think :confused2

Go 13" on the steering wheel... a smaller wheel means less total hand movement when you are turning the car, and as long as the effort isn't too high, it should lead to "faster hands"... I use a 13" on my Z without power steering and I don't find it to be a problem at all, should just totally fine on a ZX with power steering.

No, I just want to make sure I get a good durable wheel. If I have to pay a little more for it, so be it. If I could get Sparco quality for $120 or something, I would definitely jump on it. By no means am I excited to have to pay that much a wheel :x I know some name brands are crap, look at Grant. But Sparco has a very good reputation for quality, and if WRC, D1GP, and JGTC drivers are willing to risk their lives to SPARCO's products, I think I too should feel comfortable with it. So I am more of quality shopping-just so happens that it will cost a bit.

Since I am on a small budget I just got a Bride wheel off ebay- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-BRIDE-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-ALTIMA-MAXIMA-350Z_W0QQitemZ8017794403QQcategoryZ33704QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then got this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Nissan-280ZX-510-610_W0QQitemZ8015480415QQcategoryZ33704QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also off ebay but it's the same exact thing MSA sells. I just ordered it so I couldn't tell you about the quality but a few other people at ZDRIVER did the same thing and it worked great for them.

Since I am on a small budget I just got a Bride wheel off ebay- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-BRIDE-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-ALTIMA-MAXIMA-350Z_W0QQitemZ8017794403QQcategoryZ33704QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then got this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Nissan-280ZX-510-610_W0QQitemZ8015480415QQcategoryZ33704QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also off ebay but it's the same exact thing MSA sells. I just ordered it so I couldn't tell you about the quality but a few other people at ZDRIVER did the same thing and it worked great for them.

Thanks for the heads up... I just carbon copied your purchase... :cheers: