HybridZ

Neodyminum Magnets

BillZ260

If you've got some old dead hard drives, there are two of those magents in there also...

Here is a place where I have bought from before... lots of size choices. http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Magnets_and_Magnetism%3BPermanent_Magnets%3BNeodymium

The bigger ones WILL cause severe blood blisters.... trust me... :eek:

I bought a couple that are about 1/2" x 3/4" disc types... bringing them together is not a good idea.. if they snap together without anything between them, they will chip or shatter. If the finger is in between, well.... see the above post :) I only let that happen once.

You can put one in your pocket and a hammer will stick to your side easily.

A guy I used to work with was playing with 2 of these that came out of an older hard-drive so they were relatively large. He put them up close to his ear lobe like he was going to slowly let them come together and hang from his ear. Wrong idea. When they get close it's extremely difficult to hold them apart, especially the larger ones. Anyway they got close enough to over come his grip while his ear lobe was between them. Ever seen a mashed ear lobe? Not a pretty sight. :shock: We all learned a lesson that day.

They are fun to play with but be respectful of their strength and as stated above they will shatter if they snap together hard enough.

I use them to hold sheet metal in place while welding. The trick is getting them back off when you're done. :)

Wheelman

heres an old post

"Any source for the magnets Grumpy? "

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=0001

these are NOT REFRIGERATOR MAGNETS "#0001" can pick up a SBC cylinderhead, and you wont beleive the amount of crud they remove from your oil and prevent from reaching the bearings

© 2003 ForceField

Email us

toll free (877)944-6247 or (970)484-7257

Also, you can visit us at our retail store in Fort Collins, Colorado, USA at 614 South Mason Street!

Ive been installing 4 of these lately in the corners of the oil pan sump,nothing magnetic (metallic dust from engine wear, assorted trash,etc.)can get past them, I also sometimes install one near the rear oil drain in each head to collect broken valve train shrapnel in case of a failure to limit damage on race engines. btw if you dont want to install them inside the sump you can J&B weld them to the outside of the oil pan permently or just place them there if you want them removable,TRUST ME THEY WON,T FALL OFF ON THIER OWN attached to the steel oil pan sump

OilyMagnets2a.jpg

OilyMagnets2b.jpg

keep in mind ALL THAT CRAP PASSED THRU AND PUT WEAR ON THE OIL PUMP FIRST! placing the MUCH STRONGER MAGNETS IN THE SUMP PREVENTS THAT

"so do you just stick it in the inside corners of the pan and it stays put?"

yes you can do it that way on STEEL OIL PANS, and trust me, youll see why they don,t come lose real quickly

"or do you attach it some other way as well? "

personally I place them in the corners and cover them with a thin coat of J&B weld to make wiping off the accumulated metalic dust easier when I pull the oil pan, but many guys J&B weld them on the outside of the pans sump,the only way your going to get the metalic dust out is to pull and clean the pan once in a while, because once the cruds stuck to the magnets its there almost permently, but it won,t come lose and get back into the oil flow

"If you install it on the outside of the pan how do you get the stuff out? maybe just slide the magnet to the drain hole so it comes out? "

you could do that more than likely if you only used one magnet but with several I think the steel oil pan itself might remain somewhat magnetic even after the magnets themselfs were removed, as long as its not being carried thru the engine by the oil they are doing thier job

From reading the posts some people put these in a variety of places. I was thinking outside of the pan would be sweet so I could easily drain it out with the oil. But a post in one of the threads suggested that this is pointless because it will simply magnify the entire pan. I want an easy way to get the metallic dust out that doesnt include removing the oil pan. So, what is the consensus? Might these also be useful for diff and tranny?

Are these the ones you engine builders are using? I guess the smallest size would apply?

http://stores.ebay.com/Neodymium-Magnet-For-Less

Pretty cheap stuff' date=' 8 for 25 bucks?[/quote']

I contacted this guy and he advised me of his website. Check it out... cheep prices..

http://www.magnet4less.com/

2. Neodymium magnets will lose their magnetic properties if heated above

175° F (80° C).

Under magnet safety page... better find something rated for a little more heat.

Read this.......

Writen by Grumpvette: " BTW the site mentions that they can loose strength if heated over 250 degrees' date=' don,t worry about it, the magnets stay well under 250 degrees even if the oil gets close to 250 degrees, because they are in firm contact with the oil pans lower inside surface and that lower outside surface outer surface is in direct contact with the outside cooler air, in the many years Ive used them they have NEVER showed any tendency to lose strength, if your worried about it just J&B weld them to the outside surface of the oil pan sump, they will work almost as well that way " [/quote']http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=86612&highlight=

The quote from Grumpy is right. Neo magnets have their full strength up to about 80C and loose their magnetic field from 310F-370F depending on the type of alloys in the neo magnet, but if the temperature doesn't hit or exceed the curie temperature (310-370F) neo magnets will regain almost all of their strength when they cool down. If you're really worried about the temperature find some Samarium Cobalt or Alnico magnets. Alnico's curie temperature is about 1000F (the temp were the magnet looses its magnetic field permenately) and the Samarium Cobalt's curie temperature is 482F-662F depending on its alloys. Alnicos are not too exspensive, a lot of car speakers use Alnico magnets, Samarium Cobalt is more expensive if you can find it, but is also used in car speakers.

Touche!!!!

Any way, where is the best place to mount this thing if the oil pan will never be removed (for my daily driver, not the z)? I am thinking the outside of the pan is best, will the magnet really magnatize the whole thing? Maybe i should just try it myself, yep good idea. So I am going to order one now....

I'm not positive on the materials, buy honda puts magnetic plugs in the oil pan & tranny in thier engines. (at least in the b16 and b18's i know well) I don't know if they're this neodyminum stuff.

I know in transmissions you'll want one for SURE because any gear gind creates metallic dust that will just float in the fuid, causing even increased wear. Magnetic tranny plugs are a must IMO.