HybridZ

Bit the Truck Bullet (long)

Zhadman

For about 2.5 years now I have been yearning to buy a full size truck (to be specific... a Titan). Up until recently I had been commuting 54 miles (one way) through peripheral LA traffic (not a gas saving affair!) so I had contented myself with the WRX (quick, fun, decent on gas). In May we moved closer to my work (Torrance) so my commute dropped to 14 miles.

On my way home from work yesterday I passed by the local Nissan dealer. They had a sign advertising base model Titans for $17,9XX or $6000 off the MSRP. Called the MRS, got clearance to engage, donned my best poker face and set off to find my truck.

Walked the lot for 45 minutes with the saleswoman before realizing that they didn't have any of those base model, $17,9XX trucks on the lot. Sensing her sale slipping away she started showing me trucks in the $30,000 price range. One of the trucks she showed me was a black 4x4 Kingcab... really nice... and I started to see my 'realistic maximum price' creep upwards (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!). I finally had to stop her and say:

"Look, no offense, but I'm not looking for one of those. I WANT a base model and if you don't have it I'm going somewhere else... or I'll just wait 6 months."

I didn't tell her, but I wasn't willing to pay anything over $23k. I'm not going to compromise our budget. Deals come and go... trucks come and go... If you wait and watch long enough you'll get what you're looking for... so I shook her hand, took her card, and said "see ya!".

So we're sitting in the WRX, admiring my restraint (it's tempting to give in when you're looking at shiny things... but not always smart), when the saleswoman comes running (and I mean... she's booking it!) up to my car. I go into immediate 'wallet mode'... I dropped it and she found it... whew... that would have been bad!

[knock, knock on the window]

[out of breath] "Keith... uh...whew... you know that black 4x4?"

[confused... I didn't sit in it... couldn't have lost my wallet there] "... yeah?"

Her - "Did you like it?"

Me - (frustrated now) "No... too much money... it's stickered at $31k and you're not offering the discount."

Her - "What if I got it down to $22k?"

I looked over at my wife and she gave me an approving smile. Earlier... when the saleswoman was in the office, on a call, my wife admitted to me that she REALLY liked that truck. But I'm thinking to myself... that's about $25,000 with TTL... over what we want. So I take a shot in the dark...

Me - "IF... in 5 minutes you can get me that truck, out the door, for $23,000... we'll buy it."

She groans and sprints back into the office. No Sh!t, 5 minutes later she comes jamming back out with a piece of paper in her hands. $23,500 out the door!

So we bought it!

MSRP with delivery was $30,000... TTL was around $3000... so we effectively got the truck for about $21,000.

2 hours later we drove our new 2005 Galaxy Black Titan 4x4 home!

Good for you... That sounds like a great deal... I was amazed when I started pricing Diesels at how much you spend in a hurry on a truck... $49K is not unrealistic on anything that can safely tow 12K pounds like itsn't towing anything at all...

Those Titans are getting great reviews! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Good for you... That sounds like a great deal... I was amazed when I started pricing Diesels at how much you spend in a hurry on a truck... $49K is not unrealistic on anything that can safely tow 12K pounds like itsn't towing anything at all...

Those Titans are getting great reviews! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

You arent kidding, prices get crazy on those diesels. How are you liking your Dodge Mike?

Nice job! I really like those trucks, what kind of fuel mileage do you expect to get out of it?

Well... the sticker says 14-18 mpg

What kind of motor does it have? Power and such.

5.6L DOHC V8, 305hp 379lb-ft torque

I can safely tow, with the right hitch, ~ 8000 lbs... oh, and it sounds pretty nice, too!

I love my Cummins. Not being a Dodge fan in some time, I was impressed with this truck from the beginning and have continued to be. I simply put Diesel in and drive it. We had 6 inches of snow on the ground this AM and the wife wasn't feelin' the whole "drive the BMW to work" thing, so I drove her in the Dodge. Thing is like a tank, goes well anywhere, gets about 21mpg on the highway, and pulls like a freighttrain. I've surprised more than one sports car from a dead stop at lights... Funny as heck when you look at the expressions on their faces when you get to the next light! :lmao:

Mike :2thumbs:

I bought a GMC Sierra last year. Would have bought a Titan, but they were hyper expensive comparatively (like $8K more for the model down from the equivalent Sierra). If only I had known that gas was going to hit $3, I would have waited another year. I swear I could go down to the GMC dealer and buy a 2500 for less than the 1500 I bought last year, or the Titan, or pretty much any full size. We got a good deal at the time, but those gas prices sure took the prices down a notch. Oh well. I got to enjoy the new truck for the last year...

Congrats. Nice truck. Hauls ***, doesn't it??? :)

Congrats. Nice truck. Hauls ***' date=' doesn't it??? :)[/quote']

It's pretty darn quick! Motor Trend reported that it felt like it had as much power as the 5.7 Hemi and there have been rumors that Nissan has understated the power level. I don't know why they would do that, so I take it with a grain of salt, but having driven (er... floored) both trucks... I can see the comparison.

The good thing about the Titan is that the 5.6 is the ONLY motor they offer in it. So I was able to get my 4x4 with the 6-disc changer, off-road package, cruise control...etc without going up to a higher trim model (I didn't even get, or want, power door locks or windows). When I was looking at the Dodge (that's really the only other one I'm fond of) to get the 5.7L Hemi I had to spend well over 30 grand. That's not to say that you CAN'T get a lower end truck with the Hemi, but all the dealerships I visited only had it in the 30+ trucks... and they were 2WD.

So I think I got quite a bit 'o truck for my money. Some of the features:

Off-Road Package (4x4 Only)

• Switch on-demand electronic locking rear differential

• Rancho® off-road performance shocks

• Lower final gear ratio (3.36:1); similar to 4.10:1 on a 4-speed automatic

• 17" x 7.5" 7-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels

• P285/70R17 B.F. Goodrich® Rugged Trail® OWL tires

• Skid plates – transfer case, lower radiator

• Fog lights (standard on LE)

• Splash Guards

XE Preferred Package

• AM/FM/in-dash 6-CD audio system

• Overhead center console

• Sliding rear window (King Cab only)

• Rear privacy glass

It's got a "Tow Mode" feature that changes the transmission shift points, a manual shift option on the column, and a bunch of other neat gizmo's!

Based on what we've seen around here, you don't want the hemi anyway. A lot of them are ending up back on the lot used within less than a year due to poor fuel mileage. I know of 5 guys who own them and all wish they'd bought a diesel or some other make GAS truck for less money! Those Hemis are knocking down a cool 15mpg on the HIGHWAY! :shock:

Mike :2thumbs:

you didn't trade in the wrx did you?

Yeah... it was a bitter-sweet moment. It was coming out of warranty (35,000 commuting miles in 1.5 years), which would have been great... had I planned on keeping it. I just didn't need another project car. The Z is my focus and I couldn't really justify spending 'performance' money on the WRX. Besides... the 'Dubya' couldn't tow a car trailer or haul an RB around, ya know? Nor could I take it out in the desert and do some small time wheeling!