HybridZ

Finally, some progress

Joel, just say the word. And thanks!

I got one or two small scratches in the powdercoating but overall we got it on without much mishap, thanks to my best half-japanese buddy Toups. And thanks to Dave from AZ-Z for digging up his parts list at a moments notice. Can't wait to finally try the brakes out Dave!

I have not tried to have them adjusted yet. I am interested to see the range of adjustment. I hopefully don't need much toe adj in the rear, as it is all made through bushing deflection.

Putting the pins in is easy, but getting the old ones out that took us several weekends, a 12ton press, torch. (We did do 7 of them, though.) Do you have your pins out already? If so it should be a cinch to assemble them.

Btw, I'm not joking - if you want some help sometime, let me know. The LA Z Club will make a trip out there. :)

If you're using the MM arms you don't have to pull the pins. You can unscrew the ends with the bushings, slide them over the pins, then connect them to the rest of the control arm. At least that's what Ross was saying a while back. I have no experience with the arms myself.

That's some Class A work you've done there. It looks like you've got the suspension for 2 cars in the the pics. Did you get all the parts from AZ Z?

Thanks...although, I can't really take credit for the powdercoating. Sam and I cleaned all the stock suspension up, I cut and ground for the coilovers, and he welded on the rings. We spent a few weekends breaking everything down and cleaning out every spec of dirt and grease, then we brought it to get blasted and powdercoated here in Baton Rouge (at Baton Rouge Powdercoating.)

As far as the products, I only have Dave's brakes (which are really badass!) However, I can highly recommend Dave's products and his customer service. I was just worried about the fact that Dave's control arms are mounted with rod ends, not bushings, and it seemed to me that would be a little harsh for a street car. For a race car they would be my first choice, and if I lived in CA or somewhere where the roads were nice, I'd probably try them on my street car too. Louisiana roads are pretty bad.

I wanted bolt-in camber plates (after cutting) so I bought the Ground Control plates. At this point I wish I had just gotten Dave's weld-in plates, because I am so fed up with GC's customer service. We bought coilovers from them too. Their instructions are horrible, they sent us the wrong stuff at first, and they weren't very friendly on the phone. The one thing I can say for GC is that their lower spring perch is locked by a pinch bolt rather than a set screw against the thread. I prefer that design. However, several of my friends are using coilovers from Dave and Ross and they are very happy with them.

The front tension compression rods I got from Gabriel Tyler of Techno Toy Tuning. (Sorry Gabe, we accidentally switched them, so the sticker is on the inside. If you want to send me some stickers, I'll put some more on.) I was originally told that the GC camber plates would give me enough caster adjustment to get my caster where I wanted it for a street car, but this turned out to be untrue. So I was going to have the local frame shop cut down my TCR's on the lathe and shim them, but then TTT started selling these. They things are probably overkill for the street, but they were the same price as having the frame shop machine my stock stuff. My only concern about them is that there is no bushing, so I hope its bearable. If not, I'll try to cut some.

And of course the rear control arms and the Quaife ATB diff I got through Ross at Modern Motorsports. Thanks Ross! I probably didn't need much camber adjustment in the rear, but I like the ability to do so, and his arms have bushings on the outside. Otherwise I would have stuck with stock arms.

So, after this stuff is done, my suspension and brakes will be completely finished, and I can start working on the turbo header and fitting the GT35R. It's been a long time! Thanks for the compliments, even though the credit really goes to all the people listed above.

Here is the susp before powdercoating:

susp1.jpg

Here are the camber plates installed:

gcplates.jpg

And here are the TTT rods:

tcrods.jpg

Looking good Forest. On those TTT rods, you say they don't have a bushing? They don't use the oem bushing at the frame rail end?

It looked to me like those big round washer looking pieces would allow the use of the oem style rubber/euro bushing.

I was just about to push the "buy it now" button on those TTT pieces. They are nice looking parts.

On the rear C/A, I changed out my bushings and new spindle pins last year, so it should go pretty easy to take them back apart to swap them out for the MM rear C/A's I bought from a member here huh???

Just incase, I have another complete set of the spindle pin kit...