HybridZ

Why everybody selling there Z's lately????

Guest ON3GO

seems like alot of members have been selling there Z's lately,

see mas280 is selling his, Bas is selling his, heavy Z sold his (ur nuts on that one dude, sorry), and a few others.

i know some of you guys are getting into more "refined" (that how u spell it?? lol) project cars, but arent "project cars" suppose to be loud, harsh, uncomfortable, and etc. isnt that all the fun!

i drive lots of refined cars from porsches to ferraris... there a blast to drive but it gets so old and boring. hoping in a Z that shakes and is damn loud, and has sqeaks just is a whole different feeling that just is too awesome to discribe. or i prob could but i just cant spell the words haha.

i hope everybody on here doesnt start to leave....

mike

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how this would be possible for me...

I absolutely love these cars, despite their shortcomings compared to newer cars....

It was the first car that I ever purchased and I have had one ever since...that makes it about 15 years now..

well.. my parents have been tryn to force me to sell the car. but I'm not giving in..

but I guess a daily driver for a 19 year old college kid.. in a car that breaks down EVERY week.. ranging from electrical gremlins.. to a blown up radiator on the way to finals (which I barely barely made) and MASSIVE starting issues every morning when it's cold it's not ideal

I'm tryn to buy a 2nd car a Mazda Miata for a Daily Driver.. har har..

but sometimes.. it's impractical

ya i had to get a daily driver too but now i wake up and i hop in my new car and i fall asleep at the wheel.. its so fricken boring.

with my Z i had to wake up a hour or so early, took 29 mins to start the car, then would break down in under 6 mins. took like 18mins to start it back up with so much fuel flooding the engine, then it was fine.

BUT each morning i woke up with a smile on my face, sat in the Z frooze my a$$ off, windows down, and man o man i was still smiling.

i could never sell my Z's.

my other cars ill let go in a sec!

mike

My parents have also been trying to get me to sell mine. If mine were to break down every week, that would actually be an improvement. For me, its like my car runs for 2 weeks out of the year! But everytime I drive it for those wonderous 5 miles before something breaks, I fall in love with it again and can't let it go. Of course the thousands of dollars that I would lose helps a little too.

so they just need to put some caddy seats or something in there Z's... i mean if these guys can stuff jag v12's and chevy v8's in there Z's then the seat swap would be a walk in the park!!

Theres a few people who have two zs one with for daily driving and such and another as the project car. Me i like to balance good driving and Some project car into one package. My 76 has custom a/c wich has a seperate controller and its freaking awesome. As for being bumpy you can get new shocks etc and litteraly rebuild the whole thing. Me myself since my seats are torn to hell im getting some nice new seats along with lumbar support and a 5 point harness. Now thats what i call balance between comfort and having a fast car.

Btw this is the seat i plan to buy

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-4004&Category_Code=PIC05

Expensive YES!!

Awesome Definetly I love the nice z emblem and the 5 point harness for safety

i have 2 Z's too, and once my blue Z gets done this week ill prob daily it more often then my new scion.

just cuz i miss driving it so much.

once i get the green Z back im sure ill drive it almost everyday till i tear it down again.

but yes.. mr. insane.. i like you! ur more my style!

mike

I have to say your lucky to have 2 z's i would love to have 2 but i plan on putting alot of money into the one i have.

Right now im sure chicks would laugh at the interior of my car the carpets nearly gone. Seats are destroyed. Door panels are ripped to hell but hey Do i have fun working on it hell yes.

Short answer: They're getting old.

the cars or the owners? I guess both, huh?

Anyway, today was my car's time of the month. I guess I deserve this treatment, because I drove the car about 700miles this weekend half way across texas. I ended up with a pinhole leak in my radiator from some F'ing 18wheeler and a dead battery (3 successful push starts in one day, add about 4 failed attempts) from the 80watt foglights I ran, for the non-lit roads in central texas.

-end rant-

but all in all I still like my z and I drive it everyday. In fact i've been driving it everyday for about 2 years all year round. no complaints here! even when it does get into girl mode on me.

-Oliver

Good question! There are several possible reasons....

* Unlike in the muscle car or traditional hot-rod worlds, most of the folks on this forum are relatively young. Youth, like it or not, brings instability. The project car takes a back seat to college; lack of suitable garage space means that construction has to stop; parents’ or spouse’s objections shortcircuit the whole endeavor, and so forth.

* Many HybridZ’ers are engineers, if not by professional occupation then at least by formal or informal training. Engineers like to tinker; once they get a project accomplished, they get bored and prefer to move onto to the next challenge. This, I think, is the reason why some of the most breathtaking swaps end up getting sold shortly after their completion.

* Many folks have reached the conclusion that whereas Z’s are good all-around hobby cars, they don’t really excel at anything – at least not in stock form. If you want a good drag car, you eventually go elsewhere. If you want a good road-race car, you go elsewhere. If you want a comfortable GT cruiser – well, you know. So for many, Z’s were starter cars. After doing the Z swap, they went to something else.

From time to time I question myself, “why bother with the Z� The answer comes down to the following: how many other relatively commonly available cars have the combination of aesthetic appeal, low stock curb weight, large engine compartment, relative mechanical simplicity and RWD. And of those, how many are old enough to be smog-exempt, yet modern enough to have front disk brakes, IRS, and so forth? This makes the Z a very natural swap candidate.

Some day I’d like to build my own truly custom car – starting with absolutely nothing: design my own chassis, suspension, body lines, and so forth. Until then, there’s the Z. And if it takes me 30 years to finish this thing, so be it.

* Many HybridZ’ers are engineers' date=' if not by professional occupation then at least by formal or informal training. Engineers like to tinker; once they get a project accomplished, they get bored and prefer to move onto to the next challenge. This, I think, is the reason why some of the most breathtaking swaps end up getting sold shortly after their completion.

* Many folks have reached the conclusion that whereas Z’s are good all-around hobby cars, they don’t really excel at anything – at least not in stock form. If you want a good drag car, you eventually go elsewhere. If you want a good road-race car, you go elsewhere. If you want a comfortable GT cruiser – well, you know. So for many, Z’s were starter cars. After doing the Z swap, they went to something else.

[/quote']

BINGO!!

The Z car is not the be-all and end-all of automotive options. It is a great little car...no doubt about that. For me it is in the building.....the end result is somewhat of an anti-climax.

I have gone 180 degrees for my next project. Complete and correct restoration of a relatively ancient American fare. I have never done this before...I have always modded and 'hot rodded' everything I've owned....this is something new and interesting.

I'll start a new post with details.

Tim

From time to time I question myself' date=' “why bother with the Z� The answer comes down to the following: how many other relatively commonly available cars have the combination of aesthetic appeal, low stock curb weight, large engine compartment, relative mechanical simplicity and RWD. And of those, how many are old enough to be smog-exempt, yet modern enough to have front disk brakes, IRS, and so forth? This makes the Z a very natural swap candidate.[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. Some day I will get my hands on a smog exempt Z. Right now I'll have to say a little prayer when I go to do my inspections. hehe. But hey, if it doesn't work out I'll have a great excuse to find an older Z which I've always wanted anyway.

I have had my Z for around 12 years now. The first 2-3 years the Z was my only transportation. I kept a can of starting fluid behind the seat, gave myself an extra 15 minutes to warm it up and then went on my way. I drove from Bakersfield to Santa Barbara 5 days a week (~300 MI round trip). I never had many problems with the Z breaking down.

I love my Z and can't wait to get it on the road again. New cars are great

for the family but theres nothing like blowing the doors off mustangs and camaros/Firebirds with a 6 cylinder.

* Unlike in the muscle car or traditional hot-rod worlds' date=' most of the folks on this forum are relatively young. Youth, like it or not, brings instability. The project car takes a back seat to college; lack of suitable garage space means that construction has to stop; parents’ or spouse’s objections shortcircuit the whole endeavor, and so forth.

* Many HybridZ’ers are engineers, if not by professional occupation then at least by formal or informal training. Engineers like to tinker; once they get a project accomplished, they get bored and prefer to move onto to the next challenge. This, I think, is the reason why some of the most breathtaking swaps end up getting sold shortly after their completion.

From time to time I question myself, “why bother with the Z� The answer comes down to the following: how many other relatively commonly available cars have the combination of aesthetic appeal, low stock curb weight, large engine compartment, relative mechanical simplicity and RWD. And of those, how many are old enough to be smog-exempt, yet modern enough to have front disk brakes, IRS, and so forth? This makes the Z a very natural swap candidate.

Some day I’d like to build my own truly custom car – starting with absolutely nothing: design my own chassis, suspension, body lines, and so forth. Until then, there’s the Z. And if it takes me 30 years to finish this thing, so be it.[/quote']

Good points. People look around you. Cars today are becoming more and more watered down performance wise than you think. I will give a real life example. I have a 350z. I love the car dont get me wrong. But squeezing horsepower out of a VQ is difficult and very very expensive. Its very difficult to get 300hp to the wheels NA on a 350z. I am looking for a 240z now as a hobby car. Something I can work on and not take back to the dealer and it can be as loud and carb exempt as I want it. A car was meant to obey its owner not the other way around because of a government mandate.

Guest JAMIE T
BINGO!!

The Z car is not the be-all and end-all of automotive options. It is a great little car...no doubt about that. For me it is in the building.....the end result is somewhat of an anti-climax.

I have gone 180 degrees for my next project. Complete and correct restoration of a relatively ancient American fare. I have never done this before...I have always modded and 'hot rodded' everything I've owned....this is something new and interesting.

I'll start a new post with details.

Tim

Anyone can restore a car, But, it takes a real man to cut one up!

I had a daily driver Zcar for awhile. I loved that car. granted, it was a rusted beat up heap, but it looked cool and was peppy enough to to knock out B-swapped civics and CRX's on the street. The launch would KILL'EM! It is now sitting peacefully in my back yard to be used for parts (series one 240Z). I'm always looking for another one to be my daily driver.

My first Z was a daily driver 280 as well, got me through college without breaking the bank. I had most of the "hot rod " mods done to the car and the wife said 'I am pregnant". I did not give it a second thought that I had to sell that Z and get '" family friendly vehicles" (My wife had a 16 valve Jetta, that was on its last leg !!!!). Nine years later, the wife was aware of my Z loss and depression :( and found this 280 for my birthday 2 years ago. Have pictures of Georgia Z club presidents car "Blue Beast" Sweet !!, found this site (Hybrid z Bible), see the Darius video, read Pete Paraska's site and others and meet some cool Georgia Z Hybriders. Now I want to put a V8 in my Z, which one? carbureted SBC or LS1 or LT1 ???? LS1 information and parts suppliers are growing by the second. The wife ask me, "Why are you looking at corvette, Trans Am and Camaro motors? Why don't you just buy the car ? So, I bought a corvette, however the thought has cross my mind to sell the Z. But, I will regret it if I sell this Z, I know this car like no other I have ever owned, and as I go through this process of trying to create the Z I want, it becomes a mission that I made a plan, set goals and I did it. I am keeping this Z!!!!!