HybridZ

Why everybody selling there Z's lately????

Guest ON3GO

Michael,

your response was so good, if I was an administrator I would make it a sticky for all the young 'uns who think the Z is the end-all.

For me, Jmortensen said it, "They are getting old". However, I did my first hybridZ in 1978! Yeah, most of you, check your birth certificates :D While there were years in that span since when I did not own a Z, I also had cars that made the Z comparable to an oxcart, but I still love the Z. There just comes a point in time when you want to do something else with another car better than the Z. Yes folks, there are cars out there better than a Z-car, especially when those cars are also hybrids.

Yeah, I know, sacrilige and I probably should be banned :D :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much of it has to do with economics, and lifestyle changes, too. These cars are reasonably cheap to get into at first, and driver stock. Then, you break out the old plastic and start ordering parts. Next thing you know, you've got $15K in a car that isn't worth $5K on paper. That's a big challenge for a guy just out of college, or with a wife and kids. High credit card debt, and a pile of parts that may be over your personal head to assemble. It can be daunting.

I think it IS interesting that a lot of the guys selling their Zs are moving onto other swaps with more creature comforts. I know there are those who are going to argue that the whole beauty of the Z is its lightweight, but we've polled more than a few HybridZcar owners and those cars aren't as light as we initially thought. You add the heavier R230 or Q45 diff, a T56 or SFI bellhouing equipped tranny, 200# worth of metal for subframes/rust repair/cage, Custom CV axles the size of dumbells, and a few other niceties like A/C and stereo. All the sudden your ubber lightweight L6 based 240Z is somewhere north of 2600#, and more realistically pushing 2800#. All the sudden a 3rd gen rx7 or (Dare I say) portly 3200#C5 looks pretty attractive.

Maybe it just has to do with people losing interest in one hobby, or gaining interest in another. One of our members, BLKMGK had built a SWEET 240Z with a 383stroker and T56 combo. He started breaking half shafts like no bodies business. The car ended up on several rollbacks and he finally stopped driving the car because somehow a Red 1995 Toyota Supra ended up in his garage. Next thing you know, 'Ole Jim's got himself a 700+ WHP supra and the Zcar is collecting dust for YEARS.

It happens. Why spend all my extra cash on a car that just sits, requires lots of work, and rewards with deep debt, and no movement? This IS reality for some.

Just a thought... :wink:

Mike

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Or it could be A LOT of us are getting OLDER and more BORING!!! lol

I myself now have let my dissassembled mortor sit for 10 months now!!

In my younger days I would have had her rebuilt and running again within a month!

I actually enjoy driving my insulated boring 1988 V8 Tbird everyday and just haven't been motivated to finish the Z rebuild.

Of course one of the main reasons for the delay is me trying to justify spending money I dont have for an overbore and forged pistons that I really don't need!! LOL

Maybe next month I light a fire under my Azz and get her going since race season is just around the corner!!

Later,Norm

Excellent statements Michael.

My vote for a stickey to compliment John C's draft about really wanting to "build" the car. Engineering challenge "tinkering" would be IMO the greatest draw. The not excelling at anything, (stock at least), is the deal.

There potential for greatness does exist and is the appeal.

Done right the car can be a toy on the way to work, a week end warrior on the way to Sonic, a track dog or an endless source of tinkering enjoyment. Not to mention a place to toss ones excess cash.

It would'nt be the worst hobby/habbit a person could have.

But If one wants to dump an iron V8 in a sorta clean Z so he might have a fun grocery getter. Well after time, it winds up being an old cranky car thats been modified and is hell to work on . An athlete that made a career on steroids.

Ground up stock resorations grab a handsome price. Clean custom ground up rods done correct grab some dough. You get what you get when you do what you do.

Any car that gets a tig and putty makeover, a shoehorned block and 50 K of foot stomping has been on a depreciating road. Any car.

When it comes to tinker time however, cant hardly beat the bang for the buck with these little sleepers.

Have fun, put your foot in it, or polish it and show it.

You built it, enjoy.

Guest bastaad525

I've got a lot of reasons I'm selling

conversely, I have a lot of reasons I want to keep it.

but reasons to sell outweigh the reasons to keep.

Biggest reason I want to sell right now is parking :icon52: I live in an apartment, our rental includes one parking spot. We are currently using three. One for my Z (no way in hell I'd ever park this on the street), one for my SRT (Ditto), one for my wife's car (no way in hell I trust having her walk out to her car at night). We're borrowing spots from two of our neighbors, but the situation can't last forever.

We're working on moving, but we still don't know how long it's gonna take, and I doubt we'll end up having three spots wherever we end up.

I've just dropped the price on my Z yet again, to $4000. This is my absolute rock bottom price, if I can't sell it for that much, then my only other real option I can think of is to put it in storage. That seems so pointless and such a huge waste...

There are other reasons... it's still 'unfinished' in my eyes... I'd love to put a larger turbo, bigger injectors, a good exhaust, megasquirt, coil overs, bushings, big brakes... but I won't. I'm done putting money into this car... I've got other priorities now (buying a house). As it is now it's not as capable as I want it to be and leaves me wanting more. There's also having the SRT-4 and wanting to upgrade that as well... 300 whp soooo easy on these cars. All the power of the Z with good handling and braking to boot, but throw in A/C, stereo, power this and that, weatherstripping and a heater :twisted: yeah... guess I'm showing the first signs of gettin old...

Lots of reasons to keep it as well...

I dunno... that's why I'm just kinda 'fishing' with it. I put it up for sale for a price that I was pretty sure it wouldn't sell for, but if it did then hey I come away a winner. Hell I'm going on 10 straight years of Z ownership as well... kinda hard to imagine NOT owning one.

Don't worry Mike... I'll always be around the forums here, this place is as close to family as I imagine you can get with a bunch of guys who's faces you've never even seen :-D Too much good knowledge floating around here not to cruise by on a regular basis. And if I DO sell I imagine it will only be a matter of time until I buy another....

...my only other real option I can think of is to put it in storage. That seems so pointless and such a huge waste...

Got to hand you the waste part, but it is not as pointless as you might think. These cars are not getting any easier to come by. Sell it now, and 10-15 years from now you will most likely have an impossible time justifying what you will have to spend for something that you will want to cut up and modify.

Got to take care of priorities and buying a house has to be #1. But if there were some way to store it cheap, say in an out of state relative's barn or unused garage...

If you are all compiling a list of hybridZers who have switched cars, add 240Z Turbo to that list. He is building a monster S14 240SX.

I guess you could say that I switched cars, but I didn't plan it out that way. It started by selling the 240z when I didn't absolutely have to and now here I am with the Eagle Talon TSI. After the fact it makes a lot more sense to have the eagle. AC, PS, nice interior, AWD, lots of potential, 4 seats (this was important to my wife so we can all go into town), etc. I like to play with the turbo engine more than a V8 so this car fits better into my life. The turbo 240z was a lot of fun to build and drive though.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I think a forum name change-addition might be in order very soon if the Z less trend continues!! Too many good people here that need to stay even if they are Zless!!

Later,Norm

I think a forum name change-addition might be in order very soon if the Z less trend continues!! Too many good people here that need to stay even if they are Zless!!

Not saying I'm a good person, but I won't be leaving until I'm kicked out:) I know too many people here and this site still caters to all engine makes. Its too demoralizing to read other forums on the net with all the typical BS. And I haven't ruled out another z car from my future.

i'm selling my parts car...that i kept running somehow. but i'm selling it to a (close) family member and will probably continue working on it. it's beautiful when you get to continue a project...for free!

I plan on keeping MY z for a long. long time.

and maybe this time next year i might buy my cousins 91 civic hatch Si to putt putt around town so i can get some LS1 power in my zx. drool.

but yes, i think it's a shame everyone is letting their z's go :[