HybridZ

1971 240Z Front strut assembly S.O.S.

This is definately a sad day for the Z.My local race shop called today to say that my front struts were finished being sectioned,so I sped over there straight from work to find they totally F-ed them up.The guy who did the welding didn't bother to read my detailed,with many pictures,instructions and decided to slip a thick *** piece of pipe over the original housing above the perch and weld the crap out of it,to try and hide the fact that he took out at least an 1/4in. too much out of one of the struts.I noticed it when I looked down the tubes because he must have dropped one,because the threads to hold the strut inside had a huge dent in one of them,so badly I couldn't even think about getting the nut to start.Regaurdless,after I saw him get one of the most brutally honest *** chewings of my life,his boss and I decided to try and source some replacements.This is my first stop,and I'm praying that someone here has got an extra set.Either that,or know of someone who may.Anyway,I've got to call the area junkyards right after I finish ballin my eyes out,so if anyone has any info whatsoever,please PM me.Thanks HybridZ - Brett-

Man, I hate that. Sometimes I wonder who they assign these jobs to when a business, such as you've described, get a customer's job. But, I know exactly how you feel due to the years of dealing with similar situations. That history is exactly why I have a shop full of tools and equipement so I don't need to depend on someone elses lack of appreciation for my equipment.

Man, sorry to hear about that, my pet peve is tire places that wind the lug nuts on so tight with an air wrench, that they chew your alloy wheels up.

But on the bright side I have an excellent set of front struts off a 73 240z, I am swapping in my already modified 71 struts and they are identical as far as I can tell.

PM me if you are interested.

Mike

I have a pair of 71 240z struts they are allready sections but the ears where you bolt the caliper are modified to run a 92+300zx turbo calipers 4 pots. All you would need to do is get the calipers and rotor and you have a big brake upgrade. I went with my own home made wilwood kit so I don't need them anymore. E-mail me if you are interested ill sell them for about $80.00 e-mail me at cobraz240@hotmail.com

Thanks for taking the time,everyone.I thought I was in for a serious setback,but I was surprised,and relieved,for one,those strut housings are fairly cheap and available,and two,the members here at HybridZ are truly a great group of people.I've been a member only a short time,been guilty of asking silly questions without searching,started my project in Oct.,and is knowingly,and willingly,unfortunately not going to see the road for at least a year,as you can see by my progress photos in the gallery.But the inspiration from this site,and from the knowledge and graciousness of it's members,I owe a great deal of gratitude.I appreciate it.

Brett