HybridZ

OBX LSD for 240sx R200

Clifton

I am definitely interested in further info regarding correct CV shafts to mate to the the S15 HLSD output shafts. I just bought one of these diffs off Ebay with the 30 spline outputs shafts included. I am going to try to use this in the long nose r200. I was guessing it would require a custom CV shaft but would like to see what could be done with the 280zxt or 300zx cv shafts.

Thanks

Matt

I believe that the 88 SS shafts for the VLSD will work with that HLSD. I know they're larger diameter shafts with a greater spline count. I think since they're Z31T shafts that modern motorsport's CV adapters will work.

This thread has related info: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=169151

EDIT-- I see you are correct, it does look like the GKN diff, not like the older Torsen.

Just found some pics of the S15 HLSD but you bet me too it :( anyway it would be good to know if the 88 SS shafts work as this could be a cheaper alternative as many drifters don't like the HLSD and pull them out to install CLSD so you could pick these up for less than an OBX unit (however as we did not get the 88 ss downunder finding shafts would be the hardest/$$ part) so currently the OBX is the most affordable solution locally for me and given I have the unit sitting on the garage floor next to my 4.11 it is :)

I wouldn't like to say yes to that without having the two types next to each other.

Well I was kind of taking that information from this part of the thread on the other forum:

Parts: S15 HLSD (duh); S15 output shafts; new bearings and races if you've got 'em. Mine came all together and I encourage you to have all new parts. If you're doing a VLSD install into your open-diff casing, you'll need VLSD outputs; most aftermarket clutch-type diffs also require VLSD outputs, but make sure you get what's appropriate.

That seems to back my statement up, but I don't know how reliable the info is from the other site, so someone is going to have to be the guinea pig...

This might help answer the question about the 88 SS shafts.

FYI the 200sx (my part of the world no 240sx) guys that install these Helical centers into either a open or VLSD have to replace the input shafts for the ones that come with these Helical units. So they are different to the 200sx/240sx VLSD.

Now with the above info see this post http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=515935&postcount=13

Result 88 SS shafts will not work with the HLSD from a S15 :( you will need custom shafts to match the S15 HLSD input shafts that you must get with the center.....until someone confirms this in person I will believe that the above is true and correct :(

This also backs up the statement that the 88SS? Or is it 88SE VLSD shafts will not work as they only have 29 spline count on a 30mm shaft but are the right length to plug into the VLSD to make it work (with stock shafts it is still an open diff as there is no long one to engage the VLSD). These HLSD from S15 have a 30spline on a larger shaft :(

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94608

I'm not sure that is right. I read the SR20 forum post as saying "If you have an open diff, you need the VLSD shafts to work with the HLSD". I know that the VLSD has a higher spline count, but I don't know what it is. I thought the open diff had a 29 spline shaft and the VLSD was a 30, but I'm not positive on that.

I thought the open diff had a 29 spline shaft and the VLSD was a 30, but I'm not positive on that.

hmm now the OBX unit I purchased was for a 240sx base (open diff), SE and LE (VLSD) cars. Now I know that the 300zxt Z31 4 bolt shaft go in fine and they are 29 spline on 30mm shaft. I did a lot of research on the shaft requirements before I ordered my OBX center as I wanted to be sure it would work with my Z31 turbo shafts. All roads lead me to believe it would be a 29 spline - so it was still a $515 USD (including shipping to NZ) gamble as if I was wrong and the VLSD did use a 30 spline shaft I was shafted.

Now with this info and the post by Sean73 about his 240sx VLSD conversion using the Z31 88SS/SE (whatever) shafts where he states are a 29 spline shaft the only different between the open shafts and the VLSD shafts will be that one of the VLSD shafts must be longer to engage the VLSD center. The HLSD for sure have the different spline count of 30 this is the reason you need the HLSD shafts and I am sure that the post on SR20 forum was a typo and should have stated you need the HLSD shafts.

If you have an open and go to the VLSD you need the VLSD shafts only so it will work - it is my understanding that the open shafts will go in but they are not the right length to engage the VLSD = still open :(

Here is a pic showing the Z31 shafts next to a S13 VLSD shafts (not my pic) you can see the longer unit for to make the VLSD work but the spline and size looks the same to me.

shafts5gk.jpg this image is from this thread on ozdat - This links jump to post 33 which tell you what the spline count is on the S15 Helical unit = 30 spline on 30.65mm. A good thread recommend you look over this :)

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4034&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vlsd&start=33

Also see this thread http://forums.freshalloy.com/showpost.php?p=1190645&postcount=3

Ok I pulled my OBX apart tonight - I have also done some more web surf'n and a number of sites/forum say it is a good idea to replace the Belleville Spring/Washers as these appear to be a weak link in these OBX units - so I will look into this. Anyway here are some pics of the disassembled diff (click on the thumbnail to get a larger pic)

OBX_HLSD_1_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_2_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_3_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_4_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_5_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_6_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_7_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_8_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_9_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_10_tn.jpgOBX_HLSD_11_tn.jpg

The Belleville Springs/Washers were in the following layout ((()())) a total of 8 in use.

From another thread

Ok guys heres some info,

If the carrier flange is the same as my viscous carrier then you wouldn't wont the spacers to be any longer than 11mm or .425inch (.450in flange thickness)you would also want them to be an interference fit into the carrier or they would rattle.

Also Nissan used an R200H or helical in its 200SX S15 6 speed Man.

Check with supplier what it is designed to suit as later carriers the ring gear flange is offset to suit the pinion gears used and use the side bearing spacer to offset carrier.

S13 11 and 12 toothed pinion suitable as I did for 39/11 3.545

S14 S15 12 and 13 toothed pinion which cant be used with early ratios.

Skylines that I am still researching have a 37/9 4.111 which may be suitable for 39/10 3.9 and 37/10 3.7 although in R32 with the range of engines they have the following pinions 8,9,11,12,13.

If its Helical it should have the same spline size and count as R200V Viscous.

So check before you spend money. Neil

Here's another interesting one from this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=91401

Guys - I picked up a Z32 N/A R200 VLSD to find out for myself if the carrier can be used in the long-nose R200 diffs. The short answer - not bloody likely...

1> The Z32 VLSD has a spline count the same as an open diff or a clutch type R200. But the RH shaft has to have an extended splined portion to engage the VLSD coupling on the left hand side of the diff' date=' under the ring gear. [b']This is different than the Z31 VLSD (SHIRO or SS), as it has a different spline count than the standard open R200.[/b]

So it looks as though the SS might have had the larger shaft with the higher spline count, and the later VLSDs did not.

So I guess that still leaves us wanting a spline count on the later VLSD and the SS VLSD, but it would appear that there is a difference.

You might be on to something there (assume Nissan must have used a different partner for these centers) I did read in my many searches last night that the later/last S14/S15 VLSD does have a different input shaft. I also believe the R230V is different now what are the chances of these being the same as the R200H (Helical unit). So if someone has R230V shafts and can confirm they have a 30 spline on 31mm shaft (30.65mm maybe?) then the standard R230 shaft setup and MM flanges could do the trick.

So let have a summary so far.

Open = 29 spline 30mm shaft (long or short)

S13/S14/Skyline/Cefiro etc R200V 29 spline 30mm shaft (short)

88 SS = 30spline 31mm shaft (long)

R200C = CLSD 29 spline 30mm shaft (long or short)

OBX Helical = HLSD 29 spline 30mm shaft (long or short 12mm)

Quaife Helical = HLSD 29 spline 30mm shaft (long or short)

Z32TT R230V = 30spline 31mm shaft (short)??

S14/S15 Late R200V = 30spline 31mm shaft (short)??

R34 Skyline R200V = ????

S15 R200H Helical = 30spline 31mm shaft

Maybe I will visit a local Nissan wrecker (Breaker) and see what is what on all the models they have in stock :)

After reading through all of this, I'm a bit unsure if this is a bolt in differential for my 280z. Would I have to change anything other then the differential when doing this swap?

BTW, for those that worry about the quality of this differential, I have a friend in UTAH (Cortney Green) making 800whp in a honda application on a OBX diff.

Justin

BTW, I found this endorsement from a honda vendor:

proven. OBX works we have sold over 100 diff's and we got back a total of 6. 2 broke 700hp and 4 had machining problems... thats pretty good .. :thumbup:

if you need a diff and a good price call us. =) :thumbup: We stock them and ship out same day and free shipping :thumbup:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1736877

I think we are pretty damn sure that the open 240SX diff has the same 29 spline count as the 300ZXT CV shafts or the 280ZXT, or the regular old side stub axles that the halfshafts bolt to from a 280Z or ZX.

I'm still not convinced one way or the other on the VLSD differences between the 300ZX SS model and the 240SX, so I'd just stay away from the VLSD replacement and you should be fine I think.

The NA Z32 stub shafts plug right into the 88ss VLSD. They didn't seem to be locking into the circlips very well, like the stubs were 1/8 - 1/4" to long, so I punched out that washer thats inside off the carrier (where if you look thru the diff w/o the shafts, you'd see strait thru it on a CLSD, but not the VLSD) thats there to keep the stubs from going in to deep into the carrier.

Seems to be a decent fix for those who don't have the coveted matching axles to the 88 VLSD.....

Ok given I have one of the OBX units for a 240sx I can confirm the following. Standard 29spline on 30mm input shafts are required. So that is if you already have done the standard 300ZXT (Z31) CV conversion these will work. If you have a standard open R200 with universial joins then the standard input shafts will also work on these OBX units again as they have 29splines on the 30mm shaft.

Most of the other dicussion is about using one of the S15 Helical units and whether the later VLSD or 88SS VLSD shafts will work with these units.

So back to the OBX question if your input shafts are 29spline on a 30mm shaft then these will work with the OBX Helical centers that are for sale on ebay.

Hope this helps - Also from the research I have done the only issue with these OBX units is the Belleville Springs/Washers as some have failed/broken - so I will be looking into replacing these.

• Like 1

Very cool, so I'll probably need a ring gear bolt kit and some shims to go along with this.

Justin

I would say yes if you have a 10mm ring gear :) if you have the later 12mm ring gear you are in luck - like I was with my 4.11 (from a Skyline R30). I see there are now some listed on ebay for just $375 + shipping now that is a good price for a Helical LSD center ($15 cheaper than what I paid :( ) that will work with standard open shafts

NZeder just wondering what pattern are you going to put those washers in?

As far as this OBX helical unit vs a 300zxt 87-89 clutch pack unit, which would be superior for road racing or autocross? Is a 1 way or a 2 way superior or is that up to the drivers tastes. Which diff distributes torque better on the turns?