HybridZ

Somewhat bummed at 450RWHP, 500+rw torque

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben,

My naturally asperated 383 makes 365 rwhp and 430 rwtq. I can barely handle it and it will run high 10's in the 1/4. I cannot believe what 450 rwhp / 500 rwtq with so much more potential is going to be like.

Congrats and hang on tight!

Mike

Dude, be happy with those numbers, learn the car, and when you are ready to, turn up the wick.

450rwhp and 500ft-lbs PEAK doesn't mean anything, so don't get discouraged by that! I've dyno'd cars that make 90% peak power over less than 5% of their rev range, and while they can say they've made XXX horsepower at the wheels, I can also show them 5 or 6 other cars with significantly less horsepower that would absolutely slaughter them in any kind of race. Peak horsepower numbers sell cars... and are used for bragging rights on the internet! Power delivery is much, much more important in building a fast car.

Post up the graphs if you have them, they tell the tale much more accurately. I suspect with your setup you are going to have gobs of torque everywhere, and a nice fat power curve. That's what I'd be happy about.

Congrats!

You probably know this, but it doesn't hurt to say it again: Be careful as you turn up the wick. I see SO MANY people post on the internet that they went for a few more PSI and wasted the engine, head gasket, etc. Datalog, Datalog, Datalog, and study, study, study. Scotty taught me this lesson by just reading his posts over the years. Of course, a good dyno tune that covers the entire useful fuel/timing map at constant loads, etc. is worth a lot of insurance.

A 20% hit in HP at a mile high vs sea level. OUCH. No wonder you goes go for boost over NA so quickly!

Cheers,

You've ONLY GOT 30% HORSE ON ME (or so).... OMG THATS SICK.........I am still scared of my thottle I got that 700-r4 in mine I still LOVE getting on the freeway and droping it into 3rd and then pushing the gas down for as long as i can befor i chicken out... still I've never get past 140......

240ZR, You got a dyno sheet? I'd be really surprised if you're making that kind of power. Also, remember, you're making it in Southern California at near sea level if you're indeed making 420Wheel HP. He's making 450 Wheel HP at about 6000ft. above sea level... By my estimate Ben would be making about 540WHP at sea level. And he hasn't even started turning up the boost.

Just wanted to put this into true perspective.... :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Well Scottie, we've only for two ways of comparing power... quarter mile times and dyno sheets. He hasn't been to the track yet, so all we have to go on is dyno sheets.

Do the best with the data you have, and that's all you can do...

Mike

240ZR' date=' You got a dyno sheet? I'd be really surprised if you're making that kind of power. Also, remember, you're making it in Southern California at near sea level if you're indeed making 420Wheel HP. He's making 450 Wheel HP at about 6000ft. above sea level... By my estimate Ben would be making about 540WHP at sea level. And he hasn't even started turning up the boost.

Just wanted to put this into true perspective.... :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:[/quote']

Mike,

Actually I think he meant 30 percent less which is pretty substantial. Thats over 100 ponies less. Just thought I would clarify.

Mike

Well Scottie' date=' we've only for two ways of comparing power... quarter mile times and dyno sheets. He hasn't been to the track yet, so all we have to go on is dyno sheets.

Mike[/quote']

Ben..... Great numbers and very nice set-up.......

240ZR.... After seeing pics of your engine..http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108056 , I also would like to see your dyno sheet and your time slip showing the 9.9 sec. 1/4 mile run you posted in your public profile.......

LARRY

That post on my profile was just to test the new system when they started enforcing the time slips, its hasnt ran a 1/4 that i've liked yet....

I did a 14.7 at LACAR when i first gone the swap done...

Now that i have a whine in my rear end and a suspension problem I am giving up on 1/4 times for now untill i get my r200 and my coilovers done....

I figure the fastest 1/4 my car can run with the engine is something like a mid 12... unless i get Nitro or forced induction..

Yes 30% not 30 Horse..... I've only had the Engine on a Engine Dyno, it put down 372 horse at 5600 rpms and 417ftlb or torque at 3700rpms... so Ill assume its getting 330~ horse to the rears untill get a real dyno run for it.... but then again Gas is killing me so right now its jetted down to a 390 instead of 650... So I am getting better milage... but loosing something like 40% of my power

Well Scottie' date=' we've only for two ways of comparing power... quarter mile times and dyno sheets. He hasn't been to the track yet, so all we have to go on is dyno sheets.

Do the best with the data you have, and that's all you can do...

Mike[/quote']

I was referring to someone comparing their HP made on an XYZ model dyno to someone else's HP made on an ABC model dyno.

Elevation is more of an issue for n/a applications than forced induction applications. As altitude increases, density of the air decreases which decreases the available manifold pressure in a normally aspirated engine. In forced induction applications, the turbocharger or supercharger is able to maintain the manifold pressure (volume of air) at a higher altitude, so horsepower loss is not as pronounced.