HybridZ

Somewhat bummed at 450RWHP, 500+rw torque

Well, I got my car back from the shop. The dyno numbers were a little short of what I had hoped (450 RWHP , 500ft/lb RW torque). I'm told the cam is fairly mild and I can get about 150 hp more with a different bumpstick. The good new is that it's very streetable horsepower with mild boost. There's a lot more potential in the motor and I've decided to sort the car out some more rather than ask for more power right now. It squats real hard off the line, even with fairly stiff springs. Since this is to be a street/road course/autocross car, I'd better get the suspension better optimized before becoming more power hungry. Overall, I'm very happy with it and I'm glad to have it back in my shop.

98091017_0eab664d65.jpg

98091016_1f7983d1c0.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The dyno numbers were a little short of what I had hoped (450 RWHP , 500ft/lb RW torque)...

I hate you :sour:

Seriously, those numbers aren't too bad, especially if everything has not been dialed in. True, you'd expect some bigger numbers.....possibly....but you have to be at least a little happy with that.

I'd be doing backflips!!!

Davy

I hate you :sour:

Seriously' date=' those numbers [i']aren't too bad,[/i] especially if everything has not been dialed in. True, you'd expect some bigger numbers.....possibly....but you have to be at least a little happy with that.

I'd be doing backflips!!!

Davy

At my age (41) I'd seriously hurt myself with a backflip. It's true I'm somewhat happy. At this altitude, you don't see this much horsepower with a NA car. The shop owner told me that he has a high 10 second Nova with 400 RWHP, and his car weighs 1000 pounds more. Also, it makes my 93 RX7 feel slow and I have yet to floor it on the Z (it was getting dark driving the car home and I don't have working lights yet-didn't want the police to take notice).

As for how much boost, I forgot to ask. That's how unsorted it is. Still a lot of work to be done, and somehow I'm more motivated now to work on the car.

Personally, there are a great deal of more factors involved before you get too upset. First, what are the A/R ratios of the turbos? You can easily achieve more HP at the same boost level by switching the exhaust housings to a larger A/R. What altitude are you at? What was the A/F ratio? What was your fuel pressure set at? How large are the downpipes and exhaust system? These are but a FEW things you need to consider before you get depressed......

Those are great numbers to start with.Notice nowhere in this thread did we hear stuff like "made a funny knocking sound" or " puked coolant all over the floor".The motor made good power on the 1st try and now the fun begins.You all remember Brody Stones car (orange supercharged 350) from SEZ?He took off the Blower,put a T76 turbo on it and is currently tuning it.He called me from the dyno after the 1st pull.a little disappointed from mid 400 HP numbers.By the end of the session was well over 600.I couldn't agree more with the path you are taking and you will be rewarded handsomely with further tuning as time goes by.You shopuld be nothing but smiles dude.I hope to be half as successful as my current project evolves.Great work on the ride and continued success.

Scott, read your PM.

Ben, I know of a handful of drivers who can fully utilize 400WHP. The rest are just pretenders who whip out their peepees to brag about power they don't have the talent to use. So the bottom line is you're making 450WHP which is damned impressive for a car that obviously has more on tap.

And let's not forget that you're making that horsepower and torque where the air is thin... Up there! :2thumbs:

Mike

I have taken the liberty of deleting the offending post and its responses (Mine included)... Contact me offline if you care to discuss it.

Let's let Ben enjoy his new numbers and relate his experiences, shall we?

To the new member, I hope your next attempt at posting is more thoughtful and steeped in technology.

I'm not gonna allow this thread to go down hill... And I'm not gonna lock it if at all possible.

Mike

I wasn't offended at all by our newbie's response because that's exactly what ran through my head when I first heard those numbers. All that work and engineering for something that I could have gotten out of a built small block (well, not really)? What did I do wrong? Then reason set in. You don't see that kind of power at mile high altitude on any normally aspirated car that doesn't ride on a trailer. Then I imagined myself trying to drive this thing on a track with 600+ RWHP--not a pretty sight. As I said, it squats so hard as it is that the exhaust pipes nearly touch the ground at takeoff and the tires really really rub, and that's with 250 lb per inch springs. I'll have to really sort things out back there to have a vehicle that doesn't squat so much and doesn't have massive oversteer with really stiff springs.

I envision being able to crank the boost up for the occasional drag run (in case I run into a Supra) and turn it down for runs at the track. The turbos are modified Buick GN's (.63 on the turbine side and .42 on the compressor side) running less than 8 pounds of boost, so there's more there. For now, all I know is that it makes my FD3S seem really tame and I have yet to go even halfway with the throttle.

Thanks for all your support and no hard feelings towards anyone! All you guys are great and have taught me a lot!

Ben YOU of all guys should be able to sport that shirt... Your work is seen on a LOT of single moms swinging on brass poles for dollar bills! :lmao:

For the record, I'm only allowed to wear my "single moms" t-shirt to car events or here at home with car guys over... otherwise, I'm whacked at the knees by the missus... I'm whipped too! :roll:

Mike :cool:

Cool setup but yeah I would be a little bummed too but then again I havent ever messed with anything at that high of an altitude so who knows. I really like your setup but the only problem I see if access to valve covers :shock: . Im sure since its a street car it doesnt matter but WOW.

Ben welcome to the world of running HybridZs! The numbers sound great. You're right about the thin air. We're usually down 20+% on horsepower up here. Good friend has low 400 rwhp in his 3000lb camaro and still pulls high tens/122mph at Bandimere. 450 is going to be a handfull on the street! 8 lb of boost is barely flexing, I forsee big #s to come as you get settled in. Would like to drive down and see it in person some day. John