HybridZ

it lives!

did some wiring, mounted fan & fuel pump relays, positioned diagnostic port, mounted pcm last night and quit as we were getting tired and it was late. home from work today, connected a couple more, put on the + batt terminal, pulled the fuel pump fuse, turned the key [now holding breath of course], key to acc-all ok, to on-eng check light on [i used the choke light] and i hear a relay click-still ok, bump key to start-she fires right up! then within about 1 second dies [no fuel]. so, i had to put in the fuse to hear it again-music to my ears! i'm pretty pumped now hearing it for the first time-albeit open headers in my z. next-finish wiring & mounting gauges, put interior back together then get it off to the welder to build the exhaust. ordered t304 16 ga stainless tubing & bends. will be a dual 2.5 to single 3" [just after tranny]. then off to dyno to tune and finally get to drive. i'm hoping by the end of the month she'll be on the road.

You've got a lot more patience than I do. As soon as the driveline was intact I was tearing up the neighborhood. Open headers, no tuning, and worst of all no temperature gauge. I left a substantial amount of rubber down the street as soon as I left my alley. I wouldn't advise it! So many bad things could have happened and you should probably give a fresh engine some break-in. Oh well....

Something you will always remember as well as........ The first drive!!! I'll never forget mine! Really cool for all that hard work to pay off and a huge pat on the back for a beast you built with your 2 hands. Good job David!!! Now get that exhaust done and other loose ends and lets see a post on your first drive!!!!!

JOEY

Congrats! I was thinking about you and your project earlier today. I knew you would have it running soon. Just in time for spring. I remember firing mine for the 1st time. Open headers are loud in a garage.

Can't wait to hear about the 1st drive!

Good job!

Another LS1 240Z to hit the road soon.

Welcome to the LS1Z brotherhood!

thanks for all the encouragement. i now realize that there is NO way i could have done this [successfully] and pushed this project to the point that it is without the hybrid braintrust! i'm constantly humbled by those of you who have a much deeper and innate understanding of how our cars work than i. it has also dawned on me that 10 years ago, i wouldn't have had the patience to plan, work on or complete a project like this. not to say that i'm done...yet. i'll keep u all posted and thanks for all the help and advice along the way! put the car down on all fours last night-no longer a member of jsr!!

mike [from; neweraperformanceparts.com] came over yesterday to flash my pcm. he'll also be joining me at the dyno to do the tuning when the exhaust is complete. anyway, [if memory serves me correctly] he modified the following; delete-2nd oxy sensors, air pump, vats, other stuff he said i didn't need, lowered 'on' temps for fans, input proper rear end ratio, asked me if i wanted to change the 160mph limiter [like my z will ever see that speed]. we then fired her up [ahh, the smell & sounds of open headers!!], and he said [while viewing stats on his laptop] that everything looks great!

thanks for all the encouragement. i now realize that there is NO way i could have done this [successfully'] and pushed this project to the point that it is without the hybrid braintrust! i'm constantly humbled by those of you who have a much deeper and innate understanding of how our cars work than i. it has also dawned on me that 10 years ago, i wouldn't have had the patience to plan, work on or complete a project like this. not to say that i'm done...yet. i'll keep u all posted and thanks for all the help and advice along the way! put the car down on all fours last night-no longer a member of jsr!!

So true about how great this forum is. Very knowledgable brain trust. Congrats.

mike [from; neweraperformanceparts.com] came over yesterday to flash my pcm. he'll also be joining me at the dyno to do the tuning when the exhaust is complete. anyway, [if memory serves me correctly] he modified the following; delete-2nd oxy sensors, air pump, vats, other stuff he said i didn't need, lowered 'on' temps for fans, input proper rear end ratio, asked me if i wanted to change the 160mph limiter [like my z will ever see that speed]. we then fired her up [ahh, the smell & sounds of open headers!!], and he said [while viewing stats on his laptop'] that everything looks great!

Sounds great. Don't doubt that your Z will get up to 160mph. I was able to pull at least 130 down the main straight at Watkins Glen and I didn't have the brakes you have. If I had better brakes, I bet 140mph would be no problem.

I can see it now, you are driving through Montana on a trip across country and you can see down the road for 3-4 miles, you are just cruising along at about 80mph. A new C6 Corvette blows by. You decide to show the vette what you've got. You drop it down to 3rd and floor it. The rear breaks loose for a second and you keep it in control, you redline 3rd, shift to 4th, take 4th to redline and you are gaining fast. As you shift to 5th, you catch him. By the time you get to redline in 5th you have passed him by and you look down at the speedo and you are doing 165mph. Feels smooth as glass.

Then you wake up!