HybridZ

Police Street Racing Training Video

LS1 Z

What a load of crap.. good thing I live in Canada

Glad I live in Alaska lol. Gives me some insight on how to cover up some things to, lol.

That blue hose is crap. You can easily so that, that what pepboys had to replace a vacuum line (If you remove the breather). I doubt that any of them would know the engine layout, except the basics on a datsun, plus most of that would help smog legality on a dstsun lol.

Guest l28et

MSD ignition on your 90hp Civic = Illegal.

1000s of 400, 500, 600+ hp Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis all rolling around CA = no problem.

Stupid. Glad Im in TX. No desire to go to CA whatsoever.

All you have to do is ask them, by what rules and regulations for everything that they point out, even ask them to bust out with the regulation book and say you can wait. If they can't state anything in accordence with the book then they can't do anything.

If they're being jack*** and still persist on giving you a sitaction then just start saying the CARB 0E number for each of the parts that they point out. They probably won't know what it means but then you can explain to them what it means and show them you know more about whats "street legal" then they do.

Only thing that I can see that would stick on the civic would be the intake manifold because os smog stuff, maybe the tail lights because of needing red reflectors but thats nothing.

Plus in california, theres a bill that says that any car 30 years or older doesn't need to be inspected. I remember because there was another bill to change it to 45 years and everybody made a big fuss about it, that bill didn't pass.

Anything that can change your emissions is illegal. Thus changing cam timing would change emissions so its illegal. The no. 1 thing that irks me about this is the fact they put street racing and modifying cars together. Just because you have an intake doesn't mean you street race. Sure it means you are more likely the type of person to race than someone else who hasn't done anything to there car but it does not mean you will 100% be a street racer. Btw he is not giving them tickets for individual parts but a single ticket for non-emission legal parts on the vehicle. From what I understand its a fix-it ticket. So if you fix the parts within a few weeks it gets dismissed no fines. Still BS. Many more civics will be pulled over vs mustangs.

Guest el240z
All you have to do is ask them' date=' by what rules and regulations for everything that they point out, even ask them to bust out with the regulation book and say you can wait. If they can't state anything in accordence with the book then they can't do anything.

If they're being jack*** and still persist on giving you a sitaction then just start saying the CARB 0E number for each of the parts that they point out. They probably won't know what it means but then you can explain to them what it means and show them you know more about whats "street legal" then they do.

Only thing that I can see that would stick on the civic would be the intake manifold because os smog stuff, maybe the tail lights because of needing red reflectors but thats nothing.

Plus in california, theres a bill that says that any car 30 years or older doesn't need to be inspected. I remember because there was another bill to change it to 45 years and everybody made a big fuss about it, that bill didn't pass.[/quote']

Just to give you guys a heads up, in California if any part of the emissions system has been modified, it is illegal. Basically the reason the blue hose and the breather filter being illegal is it has replaced part of the PCV system, and the reasoning for that is ,there use to be a hose that was originally directing blowby back into the intake and into the combustion process thus being recycled, and now the blowby is venting to the atmosphere, which is illegal. Also there use to be a 30yr rolling smog exempt law, but that law has changed. Now your vehicle has to be 1975 or older to be somg-exempt, 1976 and newer will always have to get a smog check.

AKZ also the cops in California are not as dumb as you might think. Many law enforcement officers have taken classes on illegal modifications done to cars ,and are even shown and taught common modifications and engine swaps that are being done. I was even told that some Highway Patrol officers even carry books with different cars and what engine they came with. I remember reading one case where the officer actually took pictures of the modifications and vehicle before even writing the ticket, so there is no way he could deny anything in court.

I personally think that smog has helped a great deal in California. Have any of you been to L.A., its crazy because the last time I went, the smog was so bad that it looked like it was about to rain, and my asthma even started acting up once I was breathing that crappy air. I also feel that smog can be handled in different ways. My personal feeling is that as long as it can pass the sniffer the government should have no place to interfere with someone else’s property.

EL

I guess you're right. I think that that smog exempt article I read was a bit out of date. But if the items you are replacing has a carb 0E number then that mean its a legal replacment. I've actually dicussed this topic in refference to a RB swap with a IM reff, who also transfered me to a cali IM reff, and they both stated the as long as it has a 0E number then its ok.

That part of the reason why a skyline cost so much to import. They swap most of the immissions stuff with one that are US legal, on top of shipping to and from texas and labor cost (from my understanding).

Guest el240z

Yes AK-Z, you are absolutely right about the CARB replacement part being legal, but you have to carry the certificate, and the EO numbers has to be stamped into the part itself; I personally wouldn’t care to much about the certificate saying this part is CARB Approved, but the EO number must be there. Oh yeah the 30yr Rolling smog-exempt law stopped I believe April 1, of 2005.

El

Good lord almighty, what about all of the hot rods that aren't riced out Honda's etc?

California was someplace I thought it would be fun to own a modified car, lots of great highways, the coast, the mountains, the desert. That video makes it sound more like the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (DPRK) than anything else. You guys have a wealth of my sympathy.

Good lord almighty' date=' what about all of the hot rods that aren't riced out Honda's etc?

California was someplace I thought it would be fun to own a modified car, lots of great highways, the coast, the mountains, the desert. That video makes it sound more like the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (DPRK) than anything else. You guys have a wealth of my sympathy.[/quote']

As for hot rods, most of them are classified as kit cars because they are so far modified that most of the original car isn't there. As for cars pre 1970, there was no smog testing till 1970.

I haven't been hassled at all. My brother is S.F.P.D. and he has not had the class or does he think that they will ever offer it. Where I have heard of it around here (nor-cal) is mainly with the Sheriff's departments. And again I'm told (by the man), It is mainly directed at ricers!

JOEY