HybridZ

510 airdam fab pix

Supra510

Decided to create a new airdam for the 510. I needed something that would be sturdy enough to attach a splitter to. Also I wanted to move the oil cooler and the air-water intercooler heat exchanger down and out from in front of the radiator. The hole on the right is for the air intake and a brake duct (if I need one). Left hole for the aformentioned brake duct.

I still have a million welds to go but the shape is there. I will make a splitter to attach for track days. Yes, this whole thing could be a lot lighter, but I need something that can stand up to street use and I didn't want to mess with fiberglass.

674663_83_full_thumb.jpg

674663_84_full_thumb.jpg

674663_87_full_thumb.jpg

674663_90_full_thumb.jpg

674663_93_full_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

that is really cool...what guage steel did you use? 18? I would like to do one out of aluminium one day...to save weight of course...that would be lighter than cf if you used the proper bracing...and you could repair it if/when you hit something. the steel is just a bit easire to work with. looks great and good luck!

Thanks guys.

The center section is 18 gauge, the outer pieces are 20 gauge as are all the opening lips. Would be nice to have something lighter, but like you said steel is easier to work with (for me at least). This car is a pig anyway so the extra 10 lbs it adds over what I had on there before won't kill me.

I've done the chunks of fiberglass thing :). The flares are.........................................240Z ZG flares. They fit pretty well although there is a gap that's a little wider than I'd like near the body line, though nothing that the fender welting some guys are using wouldn't take care of. Luckily this car's not about the show so it doesn't bother me, but if I had a nice paint job it would be something to consider. 2 sets of rears would work better as they are more symmetrical and I get a little rubbing with these.

Ahh, very cool, I have been eyeballing your car for awhile now. I didnt realize you were on hybridz also. I think you have the widest wheels I have seen on a 510 so far, whats the width on those?

I am weighing my options for my 510 and the price of ford motorsport cobras at a 17x9 just cant be beat at 99-120$ a piece. but gah.. so big/wide. and no lip.. =/

anywho, enough of the hijack, I like your airdam ideas, looks much better and probably more functional than the other enourmous 510 airdam I have seen around.

Inspiring work,

Sam

I just finished most of the welds, now on to my favorite thing, grinding. It's coming out pretty well. Thanks again for the comments.

The wheels are 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10 in the back. The nice thing about 18's is that you can get a wider tire without it becoming way too tall. The 285/30/18's in the back are still under 25 inches tall which is roughly equivalent to a 245/40/17.

You might try looking on ebay for BMW wheels. I've seen some on there for pretty cheap, at least for 18's.

That 510 will look completely trick when that front is done. Nice work!! I like the idea of coming down from the front bumper---this is similar to what a lot of bodykits do from fiberglass, but this is better: METAL. :2thumbs:

Davy

The boxy shape does come in handy sometimes, at least for fabrication. There is a website called http://www.metalmeet.com that goes into actually shaping metal and has a cool project thread called the McBearan. If you knew the techniques and had the tools you could create just about anything.

My mom bought me a 3 piece set of those ratchets for Christmas. They are pretty handy with the 3/8 inch drive on one side and the 1/2 inch on the other. Haven't had an issue yet (and yes, I think they are from Autozone) :)

Hopefully I'll have some completed pix by the end of next week. It should look mean if nothing else. The positive comments will help me get through all the grinding I have left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here are some finished pix of the bumper. Some angles are better than others. I'll probably redo it in the future to have it slope back more so it'll look a little less flat. The good news is it functions like I want. I haven't attached a splitter yet, but it's plenty sturdy enough to do so.

The dual oil coolers in the middle worked great at Thunderhill this summer. Ambient temps were around 95-98 degrees. Ran 16-17lbs of boost. Oil temps never made it over 200 degrees so I'm really happy with that. When I redid the core support I also ducted the radiator better which helped coolant temps stay around 205 degrees.

674663_130_full_thumb.jpg

674663_126_full_thumb.jpg

674663_120_full_thumb.jpg