HybridZ

Early Bronco, any on have / had one?

BillZ260

There is one in the town I'm working in, a 73 'ranger'. Looks decent, ran smooth, didn't try the 4x since the guy said it was low on fuel. Looked like minimal surface rust from what I could tell unerneath, nothnig rotted through that i could see anywere. Missing one rear side glass and some minimal body damage from a trampoline? :) Has a 289, auto, 2sp case and some tall mudders on it.

Looking to loose the 94 exploerer for another daily vehicle. This bronc isn't quite there but it could be, but I don't want it to distract from my final steps of getting the Z drivable... (of phase one [getting it running/moving under it's own power]). Logically, I should just drive the explorer till it craps out totally, get the Z rolling and find something else later.

What you fella's think? He's listed it as 4500 which seems like a decent deal compared to other early broncos out there in worse shape. Any of you had experience w/ these old trucks? Things to look out for etc? I'll talk to the wife and see what she thinks. I'll loose air, pwr brakes, windows and all that jaz, dunno if I want two vehicles that are like that, but I've always wanted one. Just thought I run this by 'yall. Not really looking for a mudder/ rock crawler, just a cool old truck to drive.

Suggestions?

289 in a '73? Shouldn't that be a 302.... maybe the truck lines used 289s after 1967....Ooops forgot this is a site about swapping engines, not the purist site.

1st gen Broncos are very cool. My cousin had a '69 with a 3 speed. I remember it was noisy (buzzy) inside due to the single layer sheetmetal on the removable rear section's roof.

I can afford to buy it and keep the explorer, wife doesn't think ANYONE needs 3 personal cars. So i'll see if I can make my case. If not, oh well, the z has enough style for me I suppose. I just really like the lines of older vehicles, you know?

Guest BiltWel

That explorer has a trans in it that will leave you stranded at the worst possible moment trade out of it as quickley as possible unless you want another project to work on. I sold one for $600 with a bad trans in it and a 4.0 great little motor though if you got stuck with the 4 banger good luck getting rid of it.

I had a 1996 full size 4x4 bronco untill recently (it was totalled when a large truck hit me), with 240,000 miles on it and the valve covers had never been off it, it was the shop parts chaser and my ELK, hunting ride,it was completely dependable. I purchased it based on results my hunting partner got! (he had over 400,0000 miles on the original engine and trans) with only the normal, water pump,brakes,belts,hoses , bulbs,etc. needing replacement,but then I maintain my cars/trucks constantly,(like he does) with, all fluids, lube,filter and oil changes and frequent tune ups and tire ballances,shock and brake replacements ETC.,almost on an insane /repeat basis because I hate getting stranded. if its a full size bronco thats been well maintained it should be a good transportation truck but get lousy mileage, the best IVE seen was in the 12-15mpg range, the smaller bronco IIs were and are in my opinion garbage! I don,t know ANYONE whose purchased one that was really happy with it!

I've had this explorer for 100K miles, got right at 130K right now. Runs, shifts, does everything just fine, AC has never been charged! I take decent care of my stuff. I know these trucks have trans problems but I'm not too woried about it, shifts firm.

Wife says if I NEED the Bronc, get it. She's just worried that it will take my time and $$ away from the Z. Which it will. I'll wait, it doesn't feel quite right but I am keeping my eyes open. Thanks for the input fella's.

Back to figuring out what to do w/ my valvetrain.... :)

I have a 1969 Bronco half cab (its the one with the short pick-up bed on it). Not too many of those around, they stopped offering that option in 1972. I have a 91 5.0 Mustang motor in it. I've had four early Broncos over the last 15 years or so, this one for the last ten. I'd sure try and avoid buying anythng with significant rust. You can buy virtually any body panel but, unless you have experience in replacing them yourself, it can get expensive real fast having somebody else do it, especially if its something like a door post. Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 1 year later...

Explorer is wearing out, another 10K miles and still running good, but the thing is just falling appart. Doors / windows / wheelbearings / brakes / shocks / are needing attention.

I think i'm back in the hunt for an early bronco, there is a guy on my Flag Football team that restores them, said he'd help me find a good one.

I'm torn between the bronco and the new FJ cruiser, but I think whatever $$ i put in the Bronco, i can probably get some of it back. Where as the FJ will just depreciate. We'll see...

25 year old vehicles usually don't turn out to be the most reliable of daily drivers.

I gotta disagree there. An old Bronco is the most basic of transportation. If you have a good engine, trans, transfer case, and diffs they'll run forever. Throw on some electronic ignition and what's to go wrong?

Kinda similar to a very basic Japanese sports car from the same time period... :wink:

I gotta disagree there. An old Bronco is the most basic of transportation. If you have a good engine, trans, transfer case, and diffs they'll run forever. Throw on some electronic ignition and what's to go wrong?

Kinda similar to a very basic Japanese sports car from the same time period... :wink:

I Drive an old Chevy C10 Custom its a 79 and after a tuneup and having the carb rebuilt its been reliable as hell despite the fact that the motor probally has 250,000+ miles on it