HybridZ

Jeeeez...Dodge's New Caliber SRT4...HP like mad!

slownrusty

How can Dodge do this....300hp and 260ft.lbs of torque in a hatchback....for less than $20G

0-60mp/h in 5.5secs...its running a much improved SRT4 engine over the now defunct Neon...all aluminum head AND block....

I bet this thing will easily make 400hp with bolts...makes me sick how these new cars are so damn quick (and in this case cheap). Damn technology!

At least it looks better than the YUK Neon too.

Dodge_SRT4_1_big.jpg

Dodge_SRT4_2_big.jpg

Yasin

awd is coo... that power is cool.. but man that sucker is ugly!

i hateeeeeeeeeeee to say this but the neon was better looking.

mike

I agree, it looks kinda crossed between an SUV and Minivan and Mazda Wagon.... but nice power.

Tyson

Guest bastaad525

Over at the srtforums, about 95% of us all agree that the new Caliber is butt ugly. The SRT version is only slightly better looking.

The engine in the Caliber actually has nothing to do with the SRT engine, but rather is the new 'world engine'... it's a new engine from the ground up.

Also, the projected price for the Caliber SRT-4 is upwards of $20k.... the word goign around is $23,000 possibly as high as $25,000.

AWD will NOT be offered with the SRT-4 version of the Caliber.... it will be front wheel drive ONLY. AWD is offered with a lower trim level of the Caliber that comes with the CVT trans.

One thing about the Caliber's looks... you have to see it's scale, then it looks a little better. What I mean to say is, in the pics, it looks like an SUV/Wagon/Minivan... but really it is very small... it actually comes very close in size to the Neon it replaces... it's a little bit SHORTER, nose to rear, but the roof is about 3" higher. Overall it looks almost exactly the same size as the Neon when placed side by side. Having seen one in person, I immediately liked it much better (or rather, disliked it much less) than I initially did from pictures alone.

And yeah... there's no arguing with 300hp for low $20k..... It shouldn't be completely useless either. Well... no moreso than the original SRT-4's was. What I mean is... while it offers quit a bit more HP than the original SRT-4, it actually puts out almost the exact same amount of torque, and just makes that torque higher into the RPM band (finally added variable valve timing)... but shouldn't spin the tires any worse than the original SRT did.

Someone in a SRT4 (not the hatch back) was reving his car like a fool next to me at a light and I didn't want to race but I had to get over in his lane and after his assclown act I just had to press the pedal down about 1/2 way and kicked his a** entirely in 1st, got over before I hit 35 and was past his lane and turned left in another lane at a green arrow before he passed me.

Why do people hear my exhaust and see my coffe can looking tailpipe and assume I have nothing to show?

About the Dodge SRT4? they could have at least given it some sleeker styling I mean when you compair it to the Honda Civic hatchback... it makes the honda look good.

And yeah... there's no arguing with 300hp for low $20k..... It shouldn't be completely useless either. Well... no moreso than the original SRT-4's was. What I mean is... while it offers quit a bit more HP than the original SRT-4' date=' it actually puts out almost the exact same amount of torque, and just makes that torque higher into the RPM band (finally added variable valve timing)... but shouldn't spin the tires any worse than the original SRT did.[/quote']

I will argue with 300hp for low $20k. The reason so many cars were going back to rear wheel drive was because of hp limitations of fwd vehicle. The limit isn't about engineering, it is about driving. Spinning tires while going around a corner in a rwd is called drift, spinning tires while going around a corner in a fwd is called dangerous.

hehe does anyone remember a little hot econbox called a Shogun =) the dodge omni with the 4 cyl turbo stolen from the insanely fast crysler lazer??? i had one in 91 when i was in the Navy in San DIego.

It was a 1987 shelby version...even had an oil cooler. i think it put out around 180hp and that thing would embarass any mustang or camaro i found... sold it 4 months after i bought it cause i didnt know crap about turbos and couldnt figure out how to maximize the potential.. i could kick myself know.. but compared to that ...this srt4 is beautiful =0)

Saw one of those little buggers in person today, and they are small! But there was something about the whole design that kind of throws you off. The best way to describe it, is there just seems to be way to many angles on the body. It's very busy for it's size.