HybridZ

Olderthanme's early 260 worklog(run 56k!!!)

OlderThanMe

oh great...I just cranked my car for the first time with the new electrical system and the first time I cranked it I ran it for about 15-20 seconds. the second time I started it it ran very poorly for about 5 seconds and stalled. No spark now. I think I blew the resistor under the coil because it was pretty hot. I don't know what could be causing the problem. The fuel pump and starter run much better with the new wires.

hmm...I'll figure out this ignition problem today. I decided to sleep on it last night and the other people in the cuul-de-sac don't want to hear me trying to crank the Z too much after midnight...

my older in age neighbors moved out because they were getting older and they never liked people working on their car. go figure...got nicer neighbors...

It runs!!!! I just started it!!! I did break down and get a MSD 5900 box though. It was only like $95...I am still going to go home made with the DIS system. We figured out what we were doing wrong with the home made ignition system once we got the MSD box to fire. It runs way better than with the stock ignition box ever dreamed of running. DIS will be coming next summer!!!

I should have a video sometime this week. I have lots of work to do besides working on my car this week.

finally got it back together and took it for a test drive.

w43281442.jpg

I spent all day finishing the front harness and then putting all the body panels back on. Changed the oil too. I think the last time I changed it was in December 600 miles ago. I think I am low on gas too. Gas gauge is long gone... of course the car in the background is slow as mud...with it's turbo and all... :wink:. I have like 2500 hours of work at least in the Z and maybe 9-10 grand in 2.5 years including buying it...the Porsche back there has like 12-13k into it overall and it cost $6500 and all that in less than a year. Mine is more fun to throw around...the Z weighs like 1200 pounds less than the Porsche.

new clutch and flywheel, coilovers, illuminas, wheels and tires, overpriced MSA brakes, and other miscelanious stuff to keep it running that comes to like 5-6 grand there...Soon I plan to start aquiring the stuff to build this motor or go with a turbo motor and rebuild it next summer.

all current plans for the car just stopped...have to get the motor rebuilt now...

check this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=660423#post660423

Time to go crazy...

Right before it started making the noise it was making lots of power. I drove it up the street and at partial throttle it went really quick. I am guessing that I gained 10-20 horses just from new wiring and new MSD 5900 ignition module. The old ignition module was dropping spark all the time.

Compression checks...4 culinders from 40-42cm HG vacuum.

Cylinder 1 has 38cm HG vacuum

Cylinder 4 is at 35cm HG vacuum

I just ordered the book about how to rebuild and modify your Nissan/Datsun engine at borders yesterday. I have looked through it before but I did not buy...what is funny is my mom wants to help me get my car fixed...she convinced my dad to pull the motor...he doesn't want to and thinks it is too big of a job...well I have removed, at one time or another, almost every bolt from my car in the last two and a half years.

This "extra" part is driving me crazy. I guess I'll figure it out when I have the engine on a stand.

I am guessing that I gained 10-20 horses just from new wiring and new MSD 5900 ignition module.

Just imagine how much power you'd get from painting it camo. I must have picked up at least 50hp just from the small amount I added...Don't worry about pulling the engine, it's not that bad. There are only 6 bolts holding it in (two on each mount including the tranny). I find it's easier to pull it with the tranny on, and seperate them outside the car, plus it's easier to line the tranny up when you aren't on your back cursing and trying to bench press it into place...I've had the motor out of my car at least twice in case you're wondering about my qualifications.

Just imagine how much power you'd get from painting it camo. I must have picked up at least 50hp just from the small amount I added...Don't worry about pulling the engine, it's not that bad. There are only 6 bolts holding it in (two on each mount including the tranny). I find it's easier to pull it with the tranny on, and seperate them outside the car, plus it's easier to line the tranny up when you aren't on your back cursing and trying to bench press it into place...I've had the motor out of my car at least twice in case you're wondering about my qualifications.

9 Including Exhaust Bolts