HybridZ

Nuts and bolts question

JMortensen

I just spent 20 minutes looking for some nuts and bolts. Poured my big coffee can full of old nuts and bolts out, got pissed off and dirty, and didn't find as many as I needed. Yesterday I went to the hardware store and they wanted $2.25 for a SINGLE grade 8 7/16-20 bolt that was 1.25" long. Give me a break! Fasteners have been a real PITA lately.

So I'm thinking when I put the suspension and fenders back on the car it sure would be nice to have some NEW, CLEAN, FRESH bolts to do it with.

The question then is what grade is sufficient for these tasks? I don't think I need a grade 10.9 to put a fender on, but for the suspension it might be a good idea. Or maybe 10.9 is too hard and brittle. Just asking for some general advice. Does anyone know what Nissan used? Also, if you know a good supplier where I could buy a box of 50 of these, 50 of those, 50 of the other, but not fill a whole stockroom full of nuts and bolts that would also be appreciated.

there are several places in houston that supply bolts and nuts in bulk. Boltdepot.com i think it one, just do a google search. As far as grade, depending on the suspension piece I would say grade 8 as that is what is commonly used for brakes in the industry. Also.. I think nissan used a grade 5 or 7 for the fenders, they don't really require i hole lot of strength. I'd say grade 5 should be more than sufficient.

-Ed

You can still buy most of the OEM nuts and bolts for the 240Z from Nissan. Its especially easy if you want to buy more then individual fasteners. Some dealer parts departments are pricks and won't give you the time of day. Others are glad to help if you give them the part numbers (you do have the Z microfiche CD right?)

If you don't want to go that route, shop at an industrial hardware store (no True Vale, Ace, etc.). Grade 10.9 is fine for all suspension and driveline components. Although I haven't purchased from these guys, I've heard good things about them:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/hmhdwre.html

Yeah, I've got the CD, but I need more than just the stock bolts. I'm into all these fabrication projects and it's starting to really piss me off when I don't have the right parts and I'm getting butt rammed by the hardware store. We have a local fastener dealer here, and even they seemed extremely expensive. I'll check out that ultimate garage site though. Thanks.

Jon, I got a decent selection in a kit from Fastenall. I usually just buy a box of 50 nuts or bolts when I have to go there for just a couple. Between the kit and the few boxes around my workbenches, I have all the fasteners I can use.

Just a suggestion.

Fastenall or Tacoma Screw in our part of the country.

When I was putting my 280 together I did exactly that, almost all of the bolts I used are new. My local True-Value is the best place I have found for bolts. The metric high strength ones are kinda expensive, but you only need them in a few places so it's not bad. The only things I used Nissan bolts in was the driveline, especially the driveshaft and half shafts!!

I was going to Lowe's, but they just JACKED UP the prices on bolts like 400%. They used to have big bins full of bolts and they were cheap. I went the other day and now every bolt is individually bagged and the prices skyrocketed. That bolt that was $2.25 last time probably would have been $.60. Screw Lowe's, they're not getting any more of my business.

I went to Tacoma Screw and I think they Tacoma Screwed me too. I used to feel like I wasn't getting so ripped off on this stuff. Maybe I'll try a couple more hardware stores before I give up and mail order stuff. McMaster Carr has worked for me before, might have to go that route again, or try to find a Fastenal locally and see what their prices are like.