HybridZ

wtf? gas prices=rediculous

born2drive

I'm getting 20mpg on the freeway and MAYBE 15 in town in my '02 Silverado Extra cab. Good thing I work 10 minutes from home, otherwise I'd be pretty worried about my gas usage. As it is I put gas in my truck (if I fill the tank, which I don't seem to do anymore) about once every 2 weeks.

Pretty much that's what I've changed - I just don't fill up. It's about $70 to fill my tank. That's tough to stomach in one sitting. Probably why I haven't done it. Costs the same in the long run, I guess.....:roll:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

batteries in the prius are warranteed for 100k miles

Exactly. The battery packs were designed to last up to 200k miles. By the time these things are failing there should be a significant salvage industry around them.

Gas/Electric hybrid cars may have issues, but battery life isn't one.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=11347&pg=2 (emphasis mine)

Toyota says it has always been asked about the battery's lifetime and replacement cost. For one thing, the battery pack and all hybrid components are considered "life-of-the-car" components. They're warrantied for eight years or 100,000 miles of driving, whichever comes first. That warranty is even better (10 years and 150,000 miles) in U.S. states with California-type emission standards (California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and soon Oregon). And since the Prius went on sale in the U.S. five years ago, there has never been a failure of the battery requiring replacement.

I'm getting 20mpg on the freeway and MAYBE 15 in town in my '02 ...It's about $70 to fill my tank. That's tough to stomach in one sitting...

I know the pain. Unfortunately, the Suburban is a wee bit older and gets poorer mileage, about 12 on average. I just filled up the other weekend for a trip to Squaw Valley and I think it was about $110 for regular unleaded and the tank was not completely empty.

Davy

I get about 14-17 in my Z and 13.5 at best with the 96 4.0 Explorer(Exploder) XLT. My mom's 3.5 liter honda odyssey gets 22mpg all day long at the crazy speeds they drive here on I285...I put $10 of gas in teh explorer just to get me home and the check fuel level light was still on...It is going to cost $65 to fill that thing up.

yea they are crazy. especially for u i bet cause u got to drive from san diego to irvine every weekend. remember my gas guage when we went to MSA? litarally watched that thing go down. something like 12mpg haha. Dirk messed with the timing again and it seems better now. i dont know an exact # in mpg but i know im not filling up every two days anymore haha.:roll:

Funny my Explorer went from my house to my brothers which is 72 miles of about 90% free way with a strech of 15 minutes sustained at 90 mph and got 19.30 Mpg. I can do 21-23 if I really try on all freeway at 65. The car is geared for 55 though. I get on average 17.50 for usual business (50%/50%). The best I ever turned my average 50/50 route itno was 20.01 MPG but that took alot of restraint, still insisted on 65 on the freeway, but it took a bit to get there. You should get that checked out man. Do you have the V8 or something? My engine is different then yours though, XLT 4.0L OHV, not the SOHC, with a mazda 5-speed.

Im getting around 26 in my DD 1990 Accord, I live downtown so i fill up maybe once every two weeks. Its tough to swallow even at 2.79 just once every two weeks, cant imagine filling up a big truck twice a week like some people do.

even though I dont pay that much, its still too much for a unemployed student...next week im going to start looking at buying a scooter or 250 moto.

one thing though is that we've had it good for so long in this country when it comes to gas prices....I just got back from Spain and let me tell you they get reamed.... 2.30Euros per Liter!!!!!

just so you know,

1 gallon=3.7854118 liters.

ouch.

My 02 civic gets 36-38 MPG. When gas was going up a year and a half ago I bailed out of a 9 month old 4dr toyota tacoma (19mpg) for the civic. When is cheap I regret the lost toyota but when the cost of gas is up I like my honda better. I drive about 400 miles a week between work and getting the kids where they need to go. I agree the price of gas sucks and the only way to make it better is to use less.

You guys want a proven way to reduce the money you spend on fuel? No hydrogen hocus pocus or sales pitches that violate the laws of physics?

Do it the Tennesse way. Build your own still.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12801825/

I didn't realize the Model T was original built to run on alcohol.

Thats kind of cool. What makes an E85 vehicle capable of running 85% ethanol. Why can our "80's and newer" vehicles run only 15% ethanol? How can we expand from 15% to a higher % blend of ethanol to gas? Sorry if those are stupid questions, thanks!

I turn off the engine on downhills (j/K). I don't fill up the Z for weekend romps...it slides easier with less gas anyhow.

All in all I am glad that there are less semi-conscious people watching DVD's while driving their Minivans and SUV's!!! About #%@$!*in' time!!!

I wish you all that are contemplating a bike as an alternative form of transportation would stop and think about all the people that you know or heard of that have been in an accident and then think or count how many were on bikes and survived as compared to a car.

My little buddy friend, kind of surrogate son, wants a bike. I told him again today, that I'd pay for his gas if he'd stay off of one!!! I kind of like the little turd, he's an NCAA all american pole vaulter and 21 years old, junior in college, has so much to do, to be cut down early cause of a bike accident.

My little buddy friend, kind of surrogate son, wants a bike. I told him again today, that I'd pay for his gas if he'd stay off of one!!! I kind of like the little turd, he's an NCAA all american pole vaulter and 21 years old, junior in college, has so much to do, to be cut down early cause of a bike accident.

Hey, I'm 22 and I've been thinking about getting a bike. With a little time you would probably start to like me.....:D

Thats kind of cool. What makes an E85 vehicle capable of running 85% ethanol. Why can our "80's and newer" vehicles run only 15% ethanol? How can we expand from 15% to a higher % blend of ethanol to gas? Sorry if those are stupid questions, thanks!

Do a quick google search on e85. Basically the car has to be set up for it when it was built. Ford and a couple of other manufactures make flexible fuel vehicles standard issue on certain models.

I wish you all that are contemplating a bike as an alternative form of transportation would stop and think about all the people that you know or heard of that have been in an accident and then think or count how many were on bikes and survived as compared to a car.

My little buddy friend' date=' kind of surrogate son, wants a bike. I told him again today, that I'd pay for his gas if he'd stay off of one!!! I kind of like the little turd, he's an NCAA all american pole vaulter and 21 years old, junior in college, has so much to do, to be cut down early cause of a bike accident.[/quote']

I can understand that, believe me its been at the forefront of my thoughts in my quest for moto ownership. One thing that keeps me looking is the fact that I live downtown, traffic down here when compared to the highway or suburban environments is tame, average speed is much lower and people are more aware of bikes and or pedestrians.

wish you all that are contemplating a bike as an alternative form of transportation would stop and think about all the people that you know or heard of that have been in an accident and then think or count how many were on bikes and survived as compared to a car.

Good point, of all my 31 years I know of two people that crashed on bikes, road rash in both cases.

For cars, I have one dead cousin from car wreck, dead high school friend, car wreck, another high school friend in coma for one week, car wreck, wifes sister car wreck, fractured neck, Best friend in high school nearly died when he crashed his 66 mustang, got scalped by the rear view mirror, your right, I'm selling my car :)

I Have known a lot of bike riders but I can't remember one that got hurt bad on a bike, real easy to think of hurt and dead people from car wrecks. I know what you mean, but man a lot of people get hurt in either case.

As a point of reference, I just returned from a business trip to England. Over there the gasoline is about 1.0 GBP (British Pound) per liter. At the current exchange rate, that works out to over $7 per gallon!

However, in 2003 their gas prices were around $5 per gallon, while ours were at around $1.40. Evidently prices in the US and in Europe went up by nearly the same absolute amount – which means a relatively slight proportional increase for them, but a huge increase for us!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe people who don't ride bikes should start watching out for people who do. I ride, will continue to. My dad rides, my mom rides, I'm teaching my girlfriend. I've had friends resucitated on the table. I've had aquaintences not be, one was a hit and run.

I also teach perfect strangers how to control their bikes. In Europe, everybody rides something, or has. As to your little buddy, if he gets a small bike for the first six months, under 600cc, he'll progress faster, and be much safer than most.

As a point of reference' date=' I just returned from a business trip to England. Over there the gasoline is about 1.0 GBP (British Pound) per liter. At the current exchange rate, that works out to over $7 per gallon!

However, in 2003 their gas prices were around $5 per gallon, while ours were at around $1.40. Evidently prices in the US and in Europe went up by nearly the same absolute amount – which means a relatively slight proportional increase for them, but a huge increase for us![/quote']

I was in Zimbabwe and South Africa in 1999 and I remember gas being about $3.00 US a gallon. We rode dirt bikes everywhere so it wasn't a big deal. When we weren't riding, we would pile 15 people into a toyota van about the size of a previa.