HybridZ

L28ET swap help..

Guest Quiksilver540

Guest Quiksilver540

I have a good lead on a 72 240z and a 81 280ZXT 2+2 I may be picking up soon. I've been reading the forums the past couple days researching the L28ET swap, and I had a couple quick questions that I couldn't seem to find.

First, would you recommend installing Megasquirt? Also, how much easier is it to install over the factory 280ZX ecu? I'm not very good with wiring, so would a novice like myself find it easier over stock? Any megasquirt installation tutorials around? thanks much!

Stock ECU setup will be WAAAAY easier than making and hooking up Megasquirt.

depending on your horsepower goals, the stock ECU may not be able to do what you need it to. If you're keeping the turbo engine fairly stock then the stock ECU would be just fine.

I agree 100% with bleachzee. If you dont know much about wiring as it is you should definitly stick with the stock ecu set up it is much easier, but if your looking for more power you should go with megasquirt. I would only recomend installing it only if you or somebody you know, knows what they are doing. Otherwise, I would just stick with the stocker.

I'm doing this swap soon... and my plan is to run about 12psi, stock turbo, stock ECU, stock injectors, JSK fuel rail, RRFPR, and small intercooler.

I should be looking at 230-250hp from what I've heard. That's good enough for me.

Beyond that PSI, you probably want bigger turbo and bigger injectors, and then you're going to need a diffrent ECU to meter fuel properly. The stock ECU just doesn't seem to work well for anything other than what it came with from the factory. These guys are so basic in their design.

• 2 months later...
Guest JSutter85

i've got a question. would one be able to use some larger (say 440s or 450s) injectors with the stock efi but just turn down the fuel pressure at idle with a fpr or something and then use an rrfpr to up the fuel under boost. all this while using a factory n/a ecu and 255 walbro pump. I believe that would be a simple yet more reliable than pushing super high rail pressures to the tiny stock injectors.

i've got a question. would one be able to use some larger (say 440s or 450s) injectors with the stock efi but just turn down the fuel pressure at idle with a fpr or something and then use an rrfpr to up the fuel under boost. all this while using a factory n/a ecu and 255 walbro pump. I believe that would be a simple yet more reliable than pushing super high rail pressures to the tiny stock injectors.

400cc+ is way too big for the stock ecu. If you do the math, you'd have to run about 13psi fuel pressure to equal the stock injectors at idle. It's A LOT easier to get a rising rate FPR or get Ford 370cc injectors & adjust the AFM.

I'm doing this swap soon... and my plan is to run about 12psi' date=' stock turbo, stock ECU, stock injectors, JSK fuel rail, RRFPR, and small intercooler.

I should be looking at 230-250hp from what I've heard. That's good enough for me.

Beyond that PSI, you probably want bigger turbo and bigger injectors, and then you're going to need a diffrent ECU to meter fuel properly. The stock ECU just doesn't seem to work well for anything other than what it came with from the factory. These guys are so basic in their design.[/quote']

Bleach you might want to look at upgrading the stock Fuel pump if you are going to run 12psi. I was running a very similar setup and hooked it up to the wideband and found a nice 13.0 air to fuel on the top end. heh.. thats WAY lean for a turbo car. upgraded to a walbro and it supplies WELL enough fuel..

Bleach you might want to look at upgrading the stock Fuel pump if you are going to run 12psi. I was running a very similar setup and hooked it up to the wideband and found a nice 13.0 air to fuel on the top end. heh.. thats WAY lean for a turbo car. upgraded to a walbro and it supplies WELL enough fuel..

The stock turbo pump will still supply fine @ 12psi. A rising rate fuel pressure reg will fix that lean condition & will still be useful for later fuel system upgrades.

To add to what the others said about them being too big. To want 450cc injectors means you are planning on running serious boost. You will still need some way of pulling timing under boost with your n/a ecu. You could piggy back the ignition but you will always be struggling with your fuel and trying to get the curve right. I did it with a turbo Supra ecu, it worked ok with piggy backs but I could never get the fuel just right, where I wanted it. MS is the easiest way of getting both fuel and ignition done and probably not much more money compared to the ignition (MSD BTM) and FPR and you'll have unlimited control and the datalogging alone is worth the swap.

I installed megasquirt II with the v3.0pcb on my 280. The "2nd" install wasn't so hard after reading for hours on megasquirt.efi. The first install was going well. Had the car running on it but fried 2 brand new fuel injectors because of a grounded circuit and then the board went up in smoke. Spent a lil more time on the wiring the 2nd time around.

I first did the l28et swap and the wiring was wayyyy easier. The whole harness comes right. I think all you had to do was cut the power wires at the fusible link box and re connect them were your fusible link box is on your car your swaping the motor into. Then there are 3 plugs that go to the ecu and a plugs about six inches away from the ecu (i dont remember but i think it had 6 wires but you only need to use 2 of them) that you have to run to the power transistor on the side of the turbo coil and then run 1 wire to the relay box. I just followed the wiring diagrams in the haynes book.