HybridZ

Mystery LSD

rztmartini

I just got a diff from a guy who said it was out of a "late model" GT-R. he didnt know what year and i was wondering of you guys could help figure it out. it is a clutch type LSD but it has 4.375 ratio (35 toothed ring, 8 tooth pinion) the closest thing that was posted earlier was:

" R200V Short nose rear of a R32 GTR skyline, 5 bolt output

Ratio 4.36

LSD clutch type"

but as you can see in the pics it looks like a long nose. am i mistaken and this is what the diff came out of??

GTR%20LSD1_thumb.jpg

GTR%20LSD2_thumb.jpg

GTR%20LSD3_thumb.jpg

The picture shows a long nose. Long nose, clutch style LSDs did come in the Skylines, and they did have LSD and 4.38s. If that's the picture of the diff that you bought, you should be in good shape.

I'm also sure that the later years had the short nose R200 with the viscous LSD. But that's not what you took pictures of.

I just got a diff from a guy who said it was out of a "late model" GT-R. he didnt know what year and i was wondering of you guys could help figure it out.

That's not from an R32 GT-R.

BNR32 had a 'short case' R200 with CLSD ( lesser models had VLSD ), and the "latest" model of Skyline your pictured 38311-P9000 'long case' diff could have been fitted to from the factory was the R31 - so it is not a "GT-R" diff.

But this diff was fitted to several models from the factory ( such as the '200ZR' for instance ) and was also supplied as a Sports Option part in Japan and a Nissan 'competition' part elsewhere. People usually call them "GT-R" diffs because it sounds good.

Don't mess about guessing the mileage and making decisions based on that. For the CWP and bearings - judge them by condition and tolerance, and for the LSD unit itself judge it by internal condition and breakaway torque setting ( make yourself a fixture to test this with a torque wrench ). Nine times out of ten it will need a re-pack of the clutches and shims, and the normal ex-factory 'street' breakway setting is quite low anyway.

well that is for sure a long nose r-200 and when the r32 gtr first came out it had a short nose housing. if that is really out of a gtr it would have been the hakosuka or ken mary gtr if they even had r-200's, and therefore would be a really rare piece and extremly expensive.

It is not a late model gtr LSD. they are all shortnose r-200's

There was a post somewhere on here in the drivetrain section from maybe 5 years ago that had pics and explained the differences between the LSD and Open diff and how to identify them. but i cant find it.

Don't worry trying to look up a picture, that is definitely a clutch LSD.

If you want to look into shimming it tighter, check this thread here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92629 Probably not necessary for a street car, but if you're concerned that's the way to do it. The bummer part is pulling it all apart and lubing the clutch stack each time to get a realistic breakaway figure.

cool thanks for all the input guys. i spent $700 for this so i just wanted to know if i got ripped off or not. as far as getting it rebuilt or whatever...i am not racing it, just a fun street car, maybe some non-competitive autox so is a rebuild necessary?

You can probably just run it as is. If the gears look good I'd throw it in and see what it does. The bearing that tends to go bad is the ball bearing on the very front end of the pinion shaft. You can replace the pinion seal and that bearing if you want, but I would try it out first.

$700 is little high, but not too bad. I think I paid $150 for a 4.11 diff and $350 for the LSD, but I also paid a shop to rebuild the diff when I got it because I was afraid to take it apart 10 years ago. Turns out it wasn't necessary and the shop screwed it up 3 times! So I have more than $700 in mine.

By way of comparison you can buy the LSD new from differential.com for $500, but coming across 4.38 gears in an R200 is damn near impossible.

well the diff is not in the car so i will install it and see how (bad) it is.

as far as finding out what it is, does anyone know what it did come out of, cause I guess it didn't come out of a GTR...i cant find anything with the 4.375 ratio. the markings on the housing match the numbers on another r200 i have so im guessing it is nissan...lol

• 5 months later...

i have the same unit in my z, its from a r31 skyline, the number on the case is the same as the one we swiped from an r31 in okinawa., it is identical case to the 280zxt diff but different ring and pinion, and much more agressively packed clutches, same nismo unit but saposedly much better clutches.. i just opened mine up again to swap out the gear to a 3.5 from a 280zx turbo, the 4.3 with the 4 speed is psyco...mines a drift car "s30" and i dont want that much wheel spin...lol

much more agressively packed clutches, same nismo unit but saposedly much better clutches..

I know the 200zxR had the normal 45lbs breakaway and the same size clutches as the Z31t we got here. Are you sure that the R31 units had beefier clutches. For some reason i doubt it from what I have seen so far.

There are apparently a bunch of different LSD's, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out the Skyline had something different than the Z31T we got in the USA. There is some info on the differences in the Diff FAQ here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116207 (look at the section on Nissan LSDs)

And neither of those actually match what Nissan actually says should be in the clutch pack. How many versions are there? Who knows...