HybridZ

The coolest thing is having too much power... Nice...

Nealio240Z,

There's no such thing as too much power...however, having more than you need does tend to give one a reserved sense of...Ah hell, you're right, it is cool! Wish my engine was that shiny and unmolested :) .

Hudson

About the TKO' date='

You had kiesler mod it? what made you think you would need the modifications?

I have every single part figured out for my swap except the tranny.

I have no clue what im doing, but i have been lookin towards the a tko.

Have you got it installed yet? hows everything workin out?

is that the $2000 kit? + bellhousing?[/quote']

I didn't have Keisler mod it. They offer a HTOB kit to put a TKO in 60's muscle cars. I went with thier package because cost wise it looked competitive with the name brand HTOB's. Plus I figured it would be guaranteed to work with their LS specific bell housing.

Paid $1800 for the TKO, the bell was another $200.

Tranny is still sitting in the box. I am getting close to having the motor mounts done. Sort of lost the last month with a kitchen remodel and some minor surgery.

One issue with the TKO is it's shorter length. 3 1/2 inches shorter than the T56 is a lot to give up. Since I am building my own mounts, I should be able to get the engine far enough back that I can use the stock shifter hole without modification. Not sure exactly, but the lack of FI and the fact I have an LS2 rather than LS1 cleans up the back of the motor and will allow me to get the engine further back.

I have not checked tunnel clearance yet, but figured a tunnel massage was SOP for any V8 swap.

If I had it to do over I am not sure I would go with the Keisler bell and HTOB. The bell is all aluminum and looks awesome bolted to the shiny new engine. But, all they did to make it an “LS†housing is add one mounting bolt right at 12 o’clock. On the LS motors the bell can bolt to the back of the oil pan, but Keisler didn’t feel it was necessary to add those mounting bolts. They also ship an inspection cover with the LS bell even though it is not needed and in fact cannot be used. I am going to have to fab my own cover for about a 3 square inch area on the passangers side that is exposed.

My other Keisler bitch is my measured run out is 14 thousands. An $8 fix for offset dowel pins, but WTF? Hopefully the HTOB will work as well as they say, but I don’t like the way they machined half of the hydraulic fitting away to get the bearing through the housing. And try finding a metric M12x1 inverted flare fitting.

Alright, enough bitching. I am sure all will be forgotten once it is on the road.

Thanks for the info on the problems.

I just dont know what to do. I dont really want a t56 because of the added weight, and only a elec. speedo.

A tko seems like a nice plan, but you sound to be having ♥♥♥♥ of a time, and potentially running into some problems. (i know that is gonna happen to anyone). A rebuilt wc t5, may be option now. I dont know whats goin on. rebuilt t5 will shift better, and is smaller near the top of the tranny, so not too much massaging, but wont be as strong.

Don't get me wrong. None of my problems have been show stoppers. I would probably have the engine mounted by now if the JTR headers had been compatible with the vette style motor mounts. Once my motor mounts and cross member are welded I will know for sure just how well everything lines up. One this is for sure, this engine will sit farther back than most people's.

You realize the weight difference between the TKO and T56 is only 15-20 pounds, depending upon what T56 you are talking about and where you get the information.

What type of engine are you running? I had to go to Kiesler because I am using an LS2 motor. If you are running a first gen SBC, then my understanding is the GM version of the TKO should bolt up like it is a Muncie.

The huge advantage of the T56 with LS motors is you can use John's car kit and just bolt and go.

The main reason I went TKO over T56 is new T56's are just too expensive and I am afraid to buy a used one because of all the people who have gotten bad ones. Rebuilds on the T56 is almost as much as a new TKO in the first place. Plus, with the carb'd motor, being able to keep the stock gauges was a big savings. The last point is the better torque rating of the TKO.

I am a little concerned about the shifting, but right now I am more worried about how I will get an alternator in. One problem at a time.

Don't get me wrong. None of my problems have been show stoppers. I would probably have the engine mounted by now if the JTR headers had been compatible with the vette style motor mounts. Once my motor mounts and cross member are welded I will know for sure just how well everything lines up. One this is for sure' date=' this engine will sit farther back than most people's.

You realize the weight difference between the TKO and T56 is only 15-20 pounds, depending upon what T56 you are talking about and where you get the information.

What type of engine are you running? I had to go to Kiesler because I am using an LS2 motor. If you are running a first gen SBC, then my understanding is the GM version of the TKO should bolt up like it is a Muncie.

The huge advantage of the T56 with LS motors is you can use John's car kit and just bolt and go.

The main reason I went TKO over T56 is new T56's are just too expensive and I am afraid to buy a used one because of all the people who have gotten bad ones. Rebuilds on the T56 is almost as much as a new TKO in the first place. Plus, with the carb'd motor, being able to keep the stock gauges was a big savings. The last point is the better torque rating of the TKO.

I am a little concerned about the shifting, but right now I am more worried about how I will get an alternator in. One problem at a time.[/quote']

I am runnin a first Gen I. Good ol' 302.

So i can stay away from the bellhousing you had to run.

The t5 looks to be alot smaller at the top of the tranny, which i think will work easily. I would run a t5, if i could get away with getting one, and rebuilding it to be stong, for cheaper than i can buy a tko for. But i dont want to use g-force, for the rebuild.

I am flip floppin more on this issue than John kerry

• 4 months later...

Finally got the engine mounts sorted out. The last piece was the trans crossmember. Not 100% sure I won't redo it, especially once I get around to doing subframe connectors. But this set up should allow me to hook the crossmember into the subframe connectors.

That energy suspension mount sure looks sweet. diff alignment came out really good. the engine is point down just ever so slightly more than the diff is pointed up. Should equalize once under torque. There is enough room to add shims/washers under the urethane mount if need be.

trans_crossmember.jpg

trans_crossmember_rear_view.jpg

POp, I'm reasonably close by and have a bunch of little stuff left over from my LS1 stuff. Let me know if you find you're missing anything... I know I've got a set of black valve cover covers you can have, but they do say LS1 on them...Also got a lot of other odds and ends, like a new set of exhaust manifold gaskets from GM and a new balancer in the box.

Mike

POp, I'm reasonably close by and have a bunch of little stuff left over from my LS1 stuff. Let me know if you find you're missing anything... I know I've got a set of black valve cover covers you can have, but they do say LS1 on them...Also got a lot of other odds and ends, like a new set of exhaust manifold gaskets from GM and a new balancer in the box.

Mike

That's a kind offer. But I do have an LS2. Amazing how different everything gets when it is first an LS2 motor and second a Corvette. Probably means the balancer won't work either.

I am pretty sure I have everything. Just need to start cobbling everything together. Will probably order the driveshaft this week or next.

Got the engine mounted with the S&P bisquits and the energy suspension tranny mount. That damn thing is solid! Can't get it to wiggle shaking it by hand. Maybe 400+ ft-lbs of torque will get it to bend over.

Thanks for all the compliments. The tranny mount seemed like more work than it needed to be. But once I got going it was kind of fun bending and shaping the steel. An alternator mount is next, then fuel lines, brake lines, radiator, fan switch, wiring, throttle cable, maybe move hood latch .....

Long list.

At least the wife is mad at me so good excuse for a lot of garage time.

That's a kind offer. But I do have an LS2. Amazing how different everything gets when it is first an LS2 motor and second a Corvette. Probably means the balancer won't work either.

I am pretty sure I have everything. Just need to start cobbling everything together. Will probably order the driveshaft this week or next.

Got the engine mounted with the S&P bisquits and the energy suspension tranny mount. That damn thing is solid! Can't get it to wiggle shaking it by hand. Maybe 400+ ft-lbs of torque will get it to bend over.

Thanks for all the compliments. The tranny mount seemed like more work than it needed to be. But once I got going it was kind of fun bending and shaping the steel. An alternator mount is next, then fuel lines, brake lines, radiator, fan switch, wiring, throttle cable, maybe move hood latch .....

Long list.

At least the wife is mad at me so good excuse for a lot of garage time.

Be prepared to go sideways on 3rd with street tires.

What is the advantage to a carbed LS2 ? Cheaper ? Easier ?

For me personally it is just because I wanted one. A little more consistent with the era of my 240. Plus I fool with computers all day and wanted something more primeval as a hobby.

As for real advantages, for a crate motor with all new parts it is cheaper. The fuel injection stuff can get expensive if you buy it piece by piece. If had gotten a used, pull out motor then I would have stayed FI.

From a performance standpoint, this engine is rated at about 40 more HP than the same LS2 crate motor with a FI top end. It also has more torque throughout the band. Not sure if that is due to the open plenum intake manifold or just a more performance and less emissions oriented tune of the carb vs. the basically stock FI. But that is how GM rated them to sell them.

Also with the carb it is somewhat easier since I can keep the stock tank, all the stock gauges and there is less wiring. Should be a really clean and simple looking install when done.

Finished the alternator mount. Need to pretty up the welds and paint, but mount looks solid, good clearance all around and a 60" belt fit perfectly. Quite a pick and pull special, a 90 Celica alternator with a 6 rib pulley off an 80 something Supra. The Corvette accessories and low/back engine placement meant an F body mount just wasn't going to work.

You can see the steel mount I had to make to get the Corvette mounts to clear the JTR headers on the passengers side. S&P bisquit mounts makes for a solid mount.

Alt_final_mount.jpg