HybridZ

Just installed the CV joint upgrades

My brother Jerry did the conversion on Thursday and it looks really beefy. I had to lower the rear sway bar today to gain additional clearance, also installed an alternator on the car in preperation of putting it on the street again, my brother Jerry is ordering some MT street radials. We plan on going to the track next weekend and test her out and see how it does. I will keep you posted. I wanted to thank Zgad and Speeder for their input and help. Just wanted to keep everyone updated.

John

Yes we sent our old ones to Modern Motorsports and they made the adapters for us. They look real beefy the way they mated our old centers to the new CV hub, they look unbreakable. I guess we will find out real soon.

I figure if anyone can break parts, it's probably you guys. I'd think that a Z which can pull the front wheels off the ground repeatedly time after time would just about find every weakness in the drivetrian and chassis. Let us know what happens!

BTW, I bet they don't break...

Davy

Their supposed to be opening up our old track again this coming Friday. Under New ownership and he re-did the track, 1/8 mile for now then next year 1/4 mile. Orangeburg drag strip outside of North if anybodys interested. Will find out later this week if they are running if not, then we will go to Elgin or Jackson drag strip.

Thanks to all and we will keep you posted.

John

Hello Quicker240, have not heard from you in awhile. How is everything going? Yes he used the 300zx I think almost 100% sure. Hes we have a couple of spare stub axels. That what I was telling my brother, we will find the next week link, eigther a stub axle or the center chunk ( ring and pinion).

Did you ever get your NOS problem resolved?

Look forward to seeing you at SEZ7.

We have been so busy with moving lately,havn't had much time to work on the car.I did spend some time sorting on it a couple of weeks ago.Still having a fuel pressure drop as soon as I hit it.Voltage at the pump is 11.5 and 13.3-4 at the battery.Definately not good.Going to run a big wire back to the pump and put the relay very close by.also upgrading to a 140 amp alternator.I put a big Bosch pump on it (used) so it should have enough pump but if all else fails,I'll get the big Aeromotive and be done with it.I wont be running with the big dogs next event but should see some low 11's and God willing a 10.9999999999.Stay tuned.Sorry to hijack your thread so back on track here.I have the 280zxt cv axles about to go in,just wondering how much bigger the 300zx axles are and if I would be better to round the larger ones up.The adapters are a bit more expensive too for the 300 ones...

I am not sure about the cv axles. I know my brother did research ans was talking with zgad and speeder. I would pm them and ask about the difference between the 280zx and the 300zx. I will also ask my brother. Well good luck with the nos and I guess we will see you at sez7.

John

We have been so busy with moving lately,havn't had much time to work on the car.I did spend some time sorting on it a couple of weeks ago.Still having a fuel pressure drop as soon as I hit it.Voltage at the pump is 11.5 and 13.3-4 at the battery.Definately not good.Going to run a big wire back to the pump and put the relay very close by.also upgrading to a 140 amp alternator.I put a big Bosch pump on it (used) so it should have enough pump but if all else fails,I'll get the big Aeromotive and be done with it.I wont be running with the big dogs next event but should see some low 11's and God willing a 10.9999999999.Stay tuned.Sorry to hijack your thread so back on track here.I have the 280zxt cv axles about to go in,just wondering how much bigger the 300zx axles are and if I would be better to round the larger ones up.The adapters are a bit more expensive too for the 300 ones...

When I was building the car I asked my brother if he wanted me to take it off, he said leave it on. It is not hurting anything that I know of. So we will just let it be. You now it might be helping, when I changed the bolts to shorter ones to gain more clearence for the cv's I noticed how it kinda tied the two arms together, maybe adding a little more strength to the rear suspension.

John

JohnJerry

why are you guys running a rear sway bar on a drag car. Is it helping you

hook up or something ????

I am not sure about the cv axles. I know my brother did research ans was talking with zgad and speeder. I would pm them and ask about the difference between the 280zx and the 300zx. I will also ask my brother. Well good luck with the nos and I guess we will see you at sez7.

John

Any idea of what he paid for the cv axels? As it turns out I have a set I won't be using and will probbaly sell them. Also do you know how to tell if they are 280zx or 300zx? The front hubs I have came from a 300ZX so I'm thinking the rear cv axels might also be 300zx.

I spoke with my brother and he said the 300zxt shafts are larger diameter than the 280zxt shafts. He spoke with zgad and he said not to waist your time on the 280zxt because he was breaking them. He also said the 300zxt shafts were 4 bolt other than the 6 bolt. Stating that 4 bolt was alot tougher.

He paid $85.00 each for the shafts including a core, these are new / remanufactored. If no core then add $75.00 to it. These are the 4 bolt 300zxt shafts. The 300zxt shafts have 4 bolt instead of 6 bolt and are larger diameter thant the 280zxt shafts. Hope this helps, if you are selling them used, I am not sure what to ask for them. I know the core charge is $75.00 a piece. Hope this helps.

John

Any idea of what he paid for the cv axels? As it turns out I have a set I won't be using and will probbaly sell them. Also do you know how to tell if they are 280zx or 300zx? The front hubs I have came from a 300ZX so I'm thinking the rear cv axels might also be 300zx.

Not that it particularly matters, but I think the 280 shafts are larger in diameter, but also weaker because they use the 3 much larger tripod bearings vs the 6 smaller ball bearings in the 300 CV design. 300ZXT has 4 bolt flanges and have an appropriate shaft length (after flipping cage on the driver's side outer CV). NA 300ZX has 6 bolt flanges, but do not work because the shaft length is too long. The 280ZXT has a shorter CV length so this isn't an issue, and uses 6 bolt flanges that are larger bolt spacing and not compatible IIRC than the NA 300ZX. So basically the NA 300ZX is 6 bolt flange, but not usable and that 6 bolt does not match up to the 280 pattern.