HybridZ

My Birthday weekend... Bees SUCK!!!

Mikelly

So yesterday I had about 40 people show up at our new place for a birthday roasting for the 40 years I've walked the earth... DragonFly from here showed up, as he was in town from San Diego, as did Jim McNemar w/his beautiful GT3 Porsche. We had a shindig that ran from 4PM until about midnight, and grilled chicken, steak, hamburgers, hot dogs, Shrimp, and a lot of side dished... The wife bought me a new tool box, that my business partner delivered, and I got an assortment of gag gifts from friends and family. My mother brought me a fifth of moonshine from a local distiller and we had a lot of fun taking shots of it with beer chasers...

This morning, after my wife and I cleaned up the place, and rearranged the house/ yard/ stuff, I started working on a mountain bike trail. I removed an old wire mesh fence that had been used for a dog run by the previous owners. Then I fired up the weed eater and started going into the woods and cutting trail.... BIG MISTAKE... Apparently BEES don't like the noise of weedeaters... I managed to get out of the woods and to the house with only EIGHT stings from a swarm of yellow jackets... Man, the little bastages lit me up... OUCH!!

Thanks to all for the well wishes, and forty isn't so bad! :2thumbs:

Mike

Glad I missed the bee incident.... I had a good time at your party and I am glad I was out here at the right time to be able to attend. Your new house is a great place just watch out for the bees. There is the real possibility that my company will send me out your way on occasion and when they do I will be sure to give you a heads up so I can come by and keep you up all night talking about cars again. Thanks again for having me out.

Dragonfly

Been there done that. Did you know a weedeater can idle almost all day on a tank of gas...

I got away without being stung...but they stayed swarming around the weedeater all day. I finally went out late at tnight to grab it and put it away.

Been there done that. Did you know a weedeater can idle almost all day on a tank of gas...

So can a lawnmower........that's what I usually find them with.

Mikelly, congrats on 40. Not that bad, 50 is just around the corner. Don't ask me how I know that.

chris

A few years back, I was clearing a path in the woods behind my house with the riding mower. I went over a small brush pile and all of a sudden my one leg was covered with bees. Someone could have made $100,000.00 on funniest home videos if they were filming me! I was jumping around slapping myself and hauling ass! The mower sat there for over an hour running, before I went over and kicked it in gear and let it run itself out of the woods.

A big cup of sevin dust dumped in the hole took care of them.

Bees suck, I feel your pain. My leg hurt and itched for 2 weeks.

Jody

Michael' date=' Other than the 1/4 acre of grass and the minimal land scaping, I'm litteraly sitting in a forest... Once the trails are built, I'm prety much DONE maintaining the acreage...

Mike[/quote']

I would very much to see pictures of the trails you're building if you get around to it.

Hope the stings don't hurt so much any more.

Moridin, The trails are pretty much east coast singletrack. About 2-3ft. wide and twisting between the trees... nothing like the riding I've done out west...

If that's mountain bike stuff you're talking about, then it sounds pretty similar to what we have here in the NW. Single track through the trees pretty much everywhere. Take off the big chainring and put on a bashguard if its the same as around here. :D You'll almost never break 20 mph, but there are tons of log crossings everywhere. This kind of riding is really fun though. I think I enjoy it more than the big fire roads I used to ride on in CA. I like the technical stuff even if I'm not super good at it and it's more of a challenge and more fun to have to get up a short climb with tree roots sticking out of the ground at weird angles than to climb a wide fire road with decomposed granite that just never ends. Downside is hugging trees like I did a couple years back. Smacked my head good on an endo into a tree and lost a full 3 days memory and had no and then just a little short term memory for about a month. Look out for jumps that seem tempting but land near trees... :?

I do a good bit of mountain biking...I love flying downhill at 20 mph on a trail that is 8 inches wide...technical stuff is fun too...last time out I had my front tire pressure a too high and my bike was understeering a lot...not fun. Disc brakes help too...you can bend your rim up and still brake...calipers are a brake of the past...I bent the wheel in my last bike with calipers and the brake locked the wheel up. I went flying...