HybridZ

this heat and working on cars

David K

I havent gotten anything done ever since this heatwave started. Ive been inside perched in front of the A/C pretty much every day. There are parts staring me in the face saying 'install me, install me'. I say no way jose, too hot.

What projects are you holding off until this heat passes?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a $59 window unit at Walmart and used a Sawzall to cut a hole in the back wall of the garage. It took about an hour and the garage is cool, dry, and my tools dont get all rusty from the moisture anymore. It's the best thing ever! After I wash the car, I pull it inside the A/C and detail it. The A/C helps to dry out the car too.

Its in the mid to upper 90s here in atlanta and I have been spending about 12 hours a day in the garage with a 400 degree oven powdercoating. I can't put a window unit in because of association rules, and I need to keep the doors closed to keep powder residue from getting on the cars.

It is supposed to get all the way up to 72 degrees here today. I might have to pack my nuts in dry ice to try to make it through... :lol:

Sorry guys, had to. I think it was one of you Texan bastards who was telling me about your 75 degrees when it was 28 degrees here last winter... :lol:

Quit whining!

I'm going to be on one roof after another today FIXING air conditioners.

It must be hot on top of those flat roofed buildings, no breeze, in the Central Valley where its 100 degrees in the shade. I have no envy for your job, Dan. It must be like 130 degrees on the roof, eh?

Davy

We have had seven straight days of over 100 degree weather here in the DFW area. It was 104 alone yesterday and they are expecting 105 today. :flamedevi Our electric bill was $258 for last month at 15.15 cents/kwh, it was only 12 last year and we haven't hit August yet. Derugulation is cheaper my butt, damn monopolistic....:eek2: oops! better stop here before it gets political.

Yep, California is smokin'. My family up there is doing the same as you are! Here in Texas, it's been up to 110 pretty much every day where I live. We have a spare backup window A/C unit, and my dad and I are trying to think of a way to hook it up for the garage. :lol:

I just spent 12 days in CA Sierra Nevadas and it was 65F-85F and 20-40% humidity EVERY DAY. I got back to New York, got off the plane to 95F and 95% humidity. You haven't lived until you sweat like a can of coke while standing still. You know that musty feel of an indoor pool/locker room? That's what EVERYWHERE feels like here in NY. I swear the insects are loving it!! Anything with any thermal mass, like cars, concrete, dirt, just sweats from the humidity. It's all about the dew point. I'll take 108deg with a low dew point anyday!!

My friend found one of these http://www.allergybegone.com/delonghi-pac290-portable-air-conditioner.html at an abandoned motel. He was going to use it for target practice. I saw it, and said, hey that's a portable ac! can I have it? He said sure. We both thought it was junk. It looked new, I plug it in and presto, perfect running AC!! I just run an exhaust duct hose out the bottom of the garage.

I want to hear how bad this heat wave is in CA. :P

It's been 95-98 degrees here with 50-65% humidity and no wind.

I can't breathe outside' date=' even at night. But I did just get my car running![/quote']

haha! heh, sorry, but to me thats nice weather at the moment. :-P Where my folks live in California, they've been getting temps in the 115-120's. Imagine living with that! Their's is dry heat, though, no humidity at all.

It's true, we're lucky here in California, low humidity, all that. The best thing, though, is that it cools down pretty good at night, into the upper 60's even here in the valley, except for rare occasions. I've visited NY and Florida, when I was there it never, ever, cooled down. I remember taking a shower in Dade City Fl. and I couldn't get dry, just kept toweling and toweling, the moisture wouldn't go away. It was great though how it would rain in the summer, even if it was hot. Don't usually see rain here if it isn't winter.