HybridZ

Joined the club - just scored a wrecked '02 Z28

Just submitted the dowmpayment. It's a 2002 Z28 LS1/T56 w/ 41,000 miles. Complete but with body damage basically from the rear tires back and the passenger door. Otherwise in really nice shape. Now I've just got to arrange shipping to get it here (Cali to Illinois). Got it for $6150 excluding shipping which seemed fair considering LS1/T56 dropouts seem to be going for about $4,800. I figure as long as I can part it out for over about a grand it'll break even with piecing it together. Anything over that'll be gravy. Unfortunately it's a stripped no option model but still should still have a lot of parts. I should also be able to save in terms of fuel pump, radiator, etc that would have to have been bought anyway. Wife's not terribly happy there'll be a 'piece of crap' in the backyard for a while but oh well. Anyone have suggestions how to part out the large pieces other than e-bay (kind if hard to ship a hood or windshield for example) would be much appreciated.

Now I've got to also sell off the L6 stuff (tripple mikuni's, Fidanza flywheel, turbo motor parts, etc). I'm hoping to net out <$5,000 for the entire swap.

Woohoo

Cameron

Just submitted the dowmpayment. It's a 2002 Z28 LS1/T56 w/ 41' date='000 miles. Complete but with body damage basically from the rear tires back and the passenger door. Otherwise in really nice shape. Now I've just got to arrange shipping to get it here (Cali to Illinois). Got it for $6150 excluding shipping which seemed fair considering LS1/T56 dropouts seem to be going for about $4,800. I figure as long as I can part it out for over about a grand it'll break even with piecing it together. Anything over that'll be gravy. Unfortunately it's a stripped no option model but still should still have a lot of parts. I should also be able to save in terms of fuel pump, radiator, etc that would have to have been bought anyway. Wife's not terribly happy there'll be a 'piece of crap' in the backyard for a while but oh well. Anyone have suggestions how to part out the large pieces other than e-bay (kind if hard to ship a hood or windshield for example) would be much appreciated.

Now I've got to also sell off the L6 stuff (tripple mikuni's, Fidanza flywheel, turbo motor parts, etc). I'm hoping to net out <$5,000 for the entire swap.

Woohoo

Cameron[/quote']

Heavy where are you located? You would want to find local Fbody clubs so you can sell huge items local and save yourself the time with ebay. Another way to get your parts out there is ls1.com and ls1tech.com. When you list on Ebay be sure to mention you have an entire parts car and for people to contact you with their needs. If you do this I know for sure 5 items can generate 20 questions about stuff that you do not even have listed for sale.

You will def be able to get more than a grand in parts......

Where is our pics of the car?

Good luck.....glad to hear another LS1 Z is on the way :-)

I'm in central Illinios - not sure if there are any clubs but I do know someone who runs in the American Iron road race series .... maybe he'll know someone whos looking for a replacement body panel.

Sorry here's pics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170007550214&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOCOR:MOT:1

Auction actually ended while we were going back and forth with offers since it was a 'buy it now' or 'best offer' deal. We ended up coming to an agreement after the auction ended which is why it says that there was no winner. We weren't trying to skirt the system just timing wise it came out that way. Now I have to figure out the best way to pay since it's outside e-bay. Anyone know if paypal or others will hold payment for you like an escrow so that he knows the money is there but wont get it until the car ships? Hope to get it shipped early next week and have it within two weeks.

I plan on autocrossing it in EMod (actually have to look ... I think it's EMod?)but just locally nothing National or anything. Thinking of running John's mounts but a little concerned it places the engine too far forward for best weight distribution and I dont like that it sandwhiches between the frame rails and the crossmember. Other big question is the best way to convert my carburated 240 gas tank to an EFI one.

Thanks

Cameron

The airbags and dash should fetch a good price. My brother has a 2000 Z28 and he had a heck of a time finding replacements. I guess its a good sign when they do not deploy. His did not even hit to hard.

I was seriously eyeing the motor and trans for my Z. But he bought it back from the insurance company and repaired it. He works for a body shop and even with his discounts the parts were expensive.

Cameron,

Do a forum search on LS1 Fuel tanks and you'll see several members have used the original fbody tank in their z's. You need to wipe out the spare tire well so you'll have to decide if it's worth it. Gives you the oem pump, regulator, fuel return, fuel level sender, etc., including the original push-on fuel fittings, etc. Could save a ton of adaptation, etc. It appears from the photos that the tank wasn't damaged (actually, I think I'm looking at some sort of sheet metal surround on the tank because the tank itself is black plastic).

Best of luck with the project.

Gary

for the love of God do not junk that car. it is a stripper car that is very very very rare. it looks like the damage could be repaired. you are looking at a desirable and rare car.

Really? Could you explain alil more........ does it weigh a lot less than fully loaded model or am I missing something?

Clive

Guest AndyB
for the love of God do not junk that car. it is a stripper car that is very very very rare. it looks like the damage could be repaired. you are looking at a desirable and rare car.

Yes, it was a very rare car but I don't feel bad for Cameron parting it out thou. It was either him or me. :mrgreen: The estimate to repair the car came to $12,500 which IMO is too much for a car I purchased for $14,750 a year ago. It took me months to find the car and a trip to Seattle to get it but the accident was bitter sweet for me. The hardtop made it rather difficult for me to fit in the car with a helmet on for autocrossing and there is a Lotus Seven kit car that is just screaming my name right now. :mrgreen:

It's hard to say but it's not likely the 4th gen camaros will command a high price in the future expecially with the 5th generation car that is coming out that should proove to be more ergonomic and powerful.

if repared it could bring 15k easily

if you find a good body guy who you know, he could easily cut off the damaged areas and weld new ones in. i just dont want to see such a nice and rare car get destroyed. im an f body guy, owning 2 personaly, and my dad and brother having one each. my car is an 00 B4C (police car) and there were only about 300 made. the other car i have is totaled and was one of 6. stripper models probably range in the 300-500 made, but are desirable cars because of no power locks and crank windows.

You could always buy the roller off me once I take out the drivetrain ..... that way it wouldn't get totally parted out .....

Cameron