HybridZ

Buying Millermatic 175, what consumables should I get also?

I'm going to buy this welder> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130012022090&fromMakeTrack=true off egay and since I've never welded, or know nothing about welding, what extras will I need to use the welder to do stuff like patch panels, fuel cell frame etc.,

I'm hoping you guys that have been down this road can advise me on what consumables I'll need to get while I'm at it...

The seller has all the extras listed on the same auction page, which he claims he'll send at no extra cost to ship.

So, in short, for me to get started with the basics, what other stuff should I add on to the "buy it now" button of his auction?

thanks in advance - joel

Might as well get another spool of wire .030 works well for lots of stuff. Also don't forget the tips. Ofcourse all of this stuff can be had locally and for me part of the fun is going and buying the stuff. That is until your at home and need it and don't want to or can't just go out and get supplies.

I'm sure you already know it but, I'm going to list some stuff just incase.

Helmet-Autodarkening is worth the money.

Gloves

Apron is good to have

Welding bankets of various sizes.

Lots of clamps

Antisplatter gel

Stainless wire brush

I like to use Acetone after mechanical cleanup and just before welding

These are the main things that I use that are mostly welding related and not just fabrication related. I'm sure others will have good things to add also.

What Cody said. Dont' buy too much wire at one time. It feeds better if it is fresh.

These MIG pliers are nice

33836.gif

Absolutely make sure you get the gas option when you buy the welder. Having a roll of flux core wire is still handy in case you every have to weld outside on a day with even a slight breeze.

For welding gloves I like the kind that come up to the elbows. Homers sells the Campbell Hausfield gloves like this that are extra insulated.

I would say go ahead and get a gas cylinder while you're at it. You will be much happier with the finished result over flux core. And also start looking around for supplies to make a power/ext cord. Some 10/3 wire and the right ends will do the trick. Nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with it because it's got no juice.

One thing I would NOT recommend buying is a cart for it. This will make a nice "first" project for you! Have fun, I wish you were closer, I am selling my MM175 :)

I would say go ahead and get a gas cylinder while you're at it. You will be much happier with the finished result over flux core. And also start looking around for supplies to make a power/ext cord. Some 10/3 wire and the right ends will do the trick. Nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with it because it's got no juice.

One thing I would NOT recommend buying is a cart for it. This will make a nice "first" project for you! Have fun' date=' I wish you were closer, I am selling my MM175 :)[/quote']

Would this work? >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=130010316013&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'm not sure what gas cyl to get....

Tell me about your set up your selling..

Joel' date=' you should give Sam a call about the welding supplies.

Btw, how is your car coming? Is the engine bay painted?[/quote']

Thanks, I'll try to get ahold of him... Nah.. its still not painted. I have it ready to paint, and I have all the paint / supplys purchased to do it, I just haven't sprayed it yet.

Its always something.... raining, or to dam hot for me outside.... I may go ahead and give it a shot tomorrow...:icon56:

I get my welding gas from Tractor Supply in one of those exchange programs like you do your propane cylinder. Get the co2 and argon mix in one of the larger cylinders. I use the one the in next to the largest and it sems to last me for a good while. Using the gas and the solid wire is really worth the cost it will help you to get everything looking much better.

I would also get some scrap metal to practice with. I've run tons of welds just to practice and I still need more practice each time I weld.

Get a minimum of an 80 cu ft cylinder - prefferably a 125. The cost savings in fillups will make you happier.

You'll need either .023 -.o25" wire for panels, unless you use Harris Twenty Guage, which is a powder-cored .030" wire designed for use with gas and helps avoid blow-through.

Others have given good advice - HF has a nice AD helmet -I have 2 different ones - the one that comes either with or w/o flames has a replaceable battery. That kind is the one to get.

Ditto the cart - I bought my MM175 with cart and just can't seem to find the time to build one that is better because I have other things to do. One of these days....

After reading thru alot of the posts in the archives, it seems that a few here a happy with their Miller 135.

I was going for the 175 due to most posts saying its the only way to go. I need to know if its a mistake to settle for the 110v vrs the 220v. I'd have to have my bro (electrician)wire me up for 220v, but if the Miller 135 @ 110v will handle minor panel work, brackets and exhaust pipe stuff, would it be a BIG mistake to go with the 135?

There was another thread that talked about carts. I bitched that my Miller cart was too large for my 135. Apparently the 175 is the same size as the 135 so don't get the Miller cart. Surprisingly the HF generic welder cart was supposed to fit perfect, plus it tilts the welder up so that you can see the knobs without having to bend down. I guess I'd rather spend my time welding something on the car than welding a cart together, plus casters are freakin expensive if you're just buying them at an industrial supply house. You'd probably have almost the same amount of money in materials to just buy the damn thing from HF. The cart would make a nice first project though.

135 is big enough for just about anything on a Z including roll cage, brackets, exhaust, etc. If you need to weld a trailer or something that is 1/4" thick then 175 is a necessity IMO. If I had the choice I would have gone with the 175, but I am renting and the garage doesn't have 220, and I wasn't about to have it installed.

I was gonna question the need for the 175 when this thread was first posted, but figured you knew what you wanted. I do have to tell you that there isn't anything on a Z that you'll need the 175 for, as stated above, unless you're doing some serious axle work or something. I used my 135 for my entire project and never once had to turn it past half way to get not only GREAT penetration, but superb welds. I used .23 wire on the entire project and it came out nice. I did use the C25 mix for gas and never once had any problems. Just speaking from experience. The 135 will do whatever you need it to do and then some.

Warren

I agree the 135 will do what ever you need on the Z. But, since you'll proubly enjoy welding and are already spending the money the 175 is not that much more and you'll have rrom to grow. If you can get 220v service in your work area for little to nothing then I would do the 220v.

My last house was a rent house and I thought it only had 110v in the garage. Turns out it had 220v and I wish I had spent the extra for the larger welder. In my new house I had 220 plugs installed for the compressor and the welder. I only have a compressor that needs 220v right now but, I'm ready for the future.

What do you guys think of this 175 for $750 plus $65 for shipping?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120014055251&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

This was his responce back to me asking him to sell it to me for the $750 total, shipping included... is it worth $815?

Hey Joel,

I calculated the shipping to 70605, which came out to approx $130. I will go half way with you, so a buy it now price of $685. Let me know if this works and I will set it up.

Thanks much,