HybridZ

Oakland PD

Gollum

Well I don't know who here keeps tabs on local law enforcement but the local oakland PD has been very short on men and is willing to pay extreme wages. The overall lack of interest is due to the fact that no sane person wants to work as an officer in oakland, one of the highest crime cities in the bay - along with richmond (where I live).

Not that I'm REALLY considering it, but it's been a thought in the back of my mind, to look into applying to become an officer. Start wage for traniees (same wage you recieve while in the acadamy) is $5,184 a month. Then entry level officers make between 69-87k a year.

I come here not to make a choice, but to gather opinions. I'm still not really considering this, just looking into it. The main thing I don't like the idea of is putting my life on hold just to make some money, wich I assume is what will happen becuase I assume there will be long hours guarenteed.

So, anyone here have experience in the field?

From what I hear (from my future brother in law, who works for someone on the city council in oakland) thier problem is that have so many people who go through the acadamy and then get transfers after thier first year is finished.

Suprise suprise eh?

I must admit it sounds cool. All kids have played cops and robbers at least once in thier life, and everyday when I see someone doing something stupid on the road I wish I was able to pull them over.

But do I think it's worth putting my life on the line? Not really. Would I be willing to gamble with my life for a few years? Maybe, but that's a big maybe.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to be an officer in this day and age.

I have a degree in Criminal Justice, and am a graduate of the Federal Law Enforcement Academy and there isn't enough money in the world to put up with the lack of respect from the public at large and lack of support from city administrators in any major metropolitan City...

If you have other talents and goals, I suggest you chase them.

Mike

the reason the pay is so high is because of the cost of living in that area.i would guess that 1/2 of the force lives out in the valley by my house.california is a tough job market if you are short on a college education because of excess immigration .but if you dont have some kind of 4 year degree or cant get into the local trade unions an entry level government job is a good place to start.but the police is probably the toughest route.i have been working on cars at dealerships for 23 years and hate every minute of it.

Yea, odds are I'll probly stick with my current situation (partner in small computer/network design/repair company). The pay sucks right now but if it ever takes off I'll make plenty of money(wich it will once our client base grows, since our clients love us).

I highly respect the input mike, and I know, one of the worst parts of the job would be the fact that there isn't any respect for the force nowdays. The funding isn't that bad, but it really depends on city. The richer suburbs have some of the most overpaid workers for how little they do, while other areas like richmond deal with things like drug busts regularly yet see similar wages. Makes no sence.

Law Enforcement has changed quiet a bit in the past 12 years. Street cops for the most part do make a good wage. However, everything that you are constantly faced with can sometimes be overwhelming. The training costs required to place an Ofcr., Dep, etc. in the field costs around $100k. Most cities do not want to pay that price per candidate just to loose them to another department within the first several years. That is why cities like Los Angeles PD have a 5 year minimum contract. The penality for early transfer is costly to the Ofcr. However, some decide to leave after only a short term. Being in Law Enforcement is not for everyone. Stress is the major down side. You are really never off duty, although the clock may say so. Ever vigilant and always on the ready to "Protect and Serve" when called upon. Case in point; your heading home and come upon a TC on the freeway. You are required by law and your oath to stop and render assistance. If you don't and someone recognizes that you failed to yield and offer assistance, it can lead to adverse action against you...yes, even off duty. Or, your at the local "Stop and Rob" picking up something, when in walks some idiot and starts trouble or worse tries to strong arm the employee. Your stuck in the middle again. Your always on the alert, whether it's out to dinner or off on a trip...even out of town in another state...damn that mutual aid sometimes!!! But, that's what we do. Our families suffer especially the kids. If they happen to catch a breaking news story; car chase, Ofcr. involved etc., and you happen to be a few minutes late, they assume the worst. However, there are those moments of excitement and joy for example when you reunite a lost child with their frantic parents, or during your shift you get to bring a new life into the world (instead of taking one out). Pros and cons...being a Peace Ofcr. is not about the money, and true overtime puts you over the $100k mark. But its about self satisfaction in knowing that perhaps you made a difference in someones life, or used your training to better a potential deadly encounter. I guess when everything is said and done, the bottom line is being able to get up in the morning, go out and face the world in all its confusion and madness, feel good about your days accomplishment and then return home safely. Notwithstanding, those days that go completely SNAFU, and you find yourself wondering will I make it out ok, or will I see my wife and kids again, and if not will they be taken care of, are all reality questions we'd all rather not think about. Therefore, to all of my brother Ofcrs behind the badge, SO, PD, DOC, Fire, Rescue, Park Svs., etc., make it the best Watch you can and go home safe. Respectfully, VAN

Hey Van, How you been man?

Long time no speak!

Zguy, That's a huge quality of life issue... Making lots of money by trading your free time that you could be spending with family/friends/Spouse/Hobby isn't a good trade off to me... Often an officer will get hooked on that overtime, start living at that level, then administrations tighten budgets and the officer living on that fat $100K income is forced to live on $55-65K... Then the family stress of no money kicks in and an officer's stress level goes up even more... No, The allure of "OT" money is never a good thing and one that shouldn't help "make" that decision.

Mike

I would imagine going to work for the Oakland Police Department would be like going to work for the Atlanta P.D. and I would not think of going there for any amount of money. Remember, money is not everything. I recently went back to a 42k a year police department (not including overtime) after leaving to go to a larger and better paying department (over 60k per year and a take home car). It was the first time in my career that I did anything for money and it was a big mistake.

Law enforcement is what you make it. I am a Sergeant at my department and have been doing this for about 16 years now. I have had a lot of fun along the way. This job gives you a lot of freedom. You are not cooped up inside some building and you get to make your own decisions and be your own boss, for the most part. You have a boatload of discretion at your disposal.

In addition, while you are putting your life on the line every day, so are taxi drivers, convenience store clerks, the American Soldier, mineworkers, mechanics etc… Since I have been in law enforcement a lot of folks have lost their lives in and around my hometown while on the job, but none of them have been police officers. For example, the last officer killed in the line of duty at my former and first department (Rome P.D.) was in 1977. He was shot while investigating a hit and run accident. The department I work for now has not had an officer die in the line of duty since the 1950’s. The department is located in the Metro Atlanta area! He was killed in a car accident while attempting to catch up to a fleeing motorist in a stolen car.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying that the job is all safe and cozy and that a police officer’s family should not worry about them. They should. Police officers die in the line of duty every day around this country and abroad. Things happen. However, a person should not get bent out of shape thinking that the job is too dangerous to perform. If a person is that worried about the danger the job can bring, then maybe another line of work would be better suited for them. You do not see me working on a crab boat (dangerous catch). Those guys are insane lol. ;)

Now let me explain something about the “stressfulness of the job†that most people get wrong. Most of your stress, about 99.9 percent of it, will come from the department itself. The public or job environment has little to do with your stress level. However, upper management does. You know, those old police officers who now sit behind a desk and, for the most part, have forgotten what its like to be a beat cop. Those are the most stressful people you will deal with on a day-to-day basis. Something happens to a cop when they no longer walk or drive the beat. They become political and see things differently. That is where most of my stress comes from, and not from the public or because my job is so dangerous.

Sorry if this rambled on too long. I say if you want to be a police officer, go for it, but listen to the others also. Mike is right about “being a cop these days†so take heed. The others have valid points as well. This is just my two cents worth of advise from a veteran cop. Take it for what its worth.

From what I hear (from my future brother in law, who works for someone on the city council in oakland) thier problem is that have so many people who go through the acadamy and then get transfers after thier first year is finished.

This is because once they have worked in Oakland, that goes on the resume and they can write their ticket ANYWHERE after that. If I was a small town looking for some police officers and I had men apply from Oakland PD, you'd bet I'd take a look at hiring them since they have been through more in Oakland than they would get anywhere else.

I have a friend from high school in the Oakland PD and he's still working there that I know of. I used to work in Oakland and I'd see him on occassion. He was pulling in so much OT that he was investing his money in real estate. I was making roughly $50,000 to $75,000 on Broadway and he was making at least $125,000 due to OT. I'm sure he makes more now. He once told me in all the years he worked the beat, he only had to pull his gun out once. On the other hand, my other friend who worked in Oakland PD after the special forces said he had to do much more than that...

I suppose it is what you want to risk. Is it worth the money? That's the question you must answer for yourself.

Davy

Word of advice... If you can, work for the Berkeley PD. All you have to do really is work with hippies, college students, and minor things compared to the Oakland stuff. My friends dad worked something like 20 years for them and had a really really nice house in the Oakland hills, and when he broke his leg training for motorcycle cop stuff, they gave him a huge amount of money and what not to cover his lifestyle. He is a private detective now. If you can join them, I would, over the Oakland PD anyday.