HybridZ

The new wheels are here, the new wheels are here

My new wheels were sittng on the front porch when I got home last night. Man these things are beautiful.

17x7-wheels.jpg

I have adapters coming from MM and now have to decide on tires. I don't want to spend $140 a pop for tires so I'm torn between Falken and BF Goodrich 225/55/17. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=225&ar=55&rd=17 Just a little less than $90 each from Discount Tire including mounting and balancing. Any opinions on either tire or another option of simular price?

They look great! Go to the store and look at the tires your thinking about side by side if you can. Once I decided I changed my mind when I went and looked at them. You bought rims that look good, now make sure you get tires that look good on them.

They look great! Go to the store and look at the tires your thinking about side by side if you can. Once I decided I changed my mind when I went and looked at them. You bought rims that look good, now make sure you get tires that look good on them.

Been there and done that. This is worse than buying shoes, LOL!!!

I've had both Falken (Celica GTS) and BF Goodrich (AMX and on my Kelmark GT kit car) tires in the past and loved them both.

Spec compare:

Falken Speed rating is Z = over 150 mph but the tread ware is only 360.

BF Goodrich Speed rating is T = 118 mph but the tread ware is 620

Falken Temp rating is A

BF Goodrich Temp rating is B.

Traction rating is A on both tires

On paper if tread life isn't an issue the Falken seems to be the better tire.

So am I going to drive over 118 mph (possible) and will I put on more than 30,000 miles on this car (doubtful)?

Sounds like I'm talking myself into the Falkens, LOL.

The problem with comparing tread wear ratings is that they are not on an absolute scale. A 300 in Falken may not last as long as a 200 in Kumho (just an example, I don't know if it would or not), but it would last longer than a 200 in Falken. So you can really only compare within a given tire line to know for sure. But I like Falkens, they have aggressive looks, and good performance, so count my vote for those.

I've been very happy with my Yokohama ES100s....I'm about to install my third set on my 240Z. They stick very well for a street tire, not as harsch as simliar tires, and are pretty quiet to boot....and of course, reasonably priced!

I don't think I would go with the 55 series unless you want the rally car look. 225-45-17's fit and look great on 17x7's. Falken RT-615's are probably the best "street" tire for performance. Wear won't be as great as some other but traction will be better. Most street tire autocrossers run them.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=false&cs=225&pc=18502&rd=17&ar=45

I don't think I would go with the 55 series unless you want the rally car look. 225-45-17's fit and look great on 17x7's. Falken RT-615's are probably the best "street" tire for performance. Wear won't be as great as some other but traction will be better. Most street tire autocrossers run them.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=false&cs=225&pc=18502&rd=17&ar=45

I'm sure they are an awesome tire. I have only 1 concern about those, Price They are almost 50% higher than the ones I'm looking at.

You can find other styles or brands in that size that would be close in price to what you're looking at. I'm running 225/45-17's and I don't have any problems with turning the wheels.

I'm sure they are an awesome tire. I have 2 concerns about those, Price and width. Thye are almost 50% higher than the ones I'm looking at. I have 60 series on the car now and its hard enough to turn the wheels when the car is not moving, I can only imagine what the 45s would feel like.

I've been very happy with my Yokohama ES100s....I'm about to install my third set on my 240Z. They stick very well for a street tire, not as harsch as simliar tires, and are pretty quiet to boot....and of course, reasonably priced!

They certainly look impressive, but there's the price thing. Not really that much but we all have a limit..............dammit. lOL.

You can find other styles or brands in that size that would be close in price to what you're looking at. I'm running 225/45-17's and I don't have any problems with turning the wheels.

Not sure where my brain was on that one, I edited the post. I keep thinking the lower the ratio the wider the tire, and I know better.

Doing the math:

225/45/17 is 24.97" tall and 8.86 wide

225/55/17 is 26.74" tall amnd 8.86 wide

What I have now

235/60/14 is 25.1" tall and 9.25 wide.

So actually the new ones would not be as wide.

I may have to rethink this.

The profile doesn't make them harder to turn, atleast not enough to notice. Width does though. I have a 235-45 R compound up front and they aren't much harder to turn than the 225 street tires I origanlly had on.

I knew that, LOL, I just edited my post. I am now rethinking this tire selection.

First off your wheels look great :icon14:

Second , this threads timing is great, I just recieved my wheel adapters today and wanted to get some tires this weekend.

deja , I didnt see that you posted your wheels width? they 7 inches?

I believe 225's are about the widest tire for a 7" rim ( I may be wrong tho)

I have 17x7 40mm Offset and bought 38mm (1.5") spacers , I'm a little concerned that the wheel is out to far , and the tire will hit the fender, I guess I'll find out when I get the tires mounted.

What size spacers did you get?

I was looking at these tires....

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=1&cf=false&sw=false&cs=225&pc=38447&rd=17&ar=45&tc=NITHZ6

&

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=false&cs=225&pc=28751&rd=17&ar=45

I was thinking of getting 50's but the selection is small, 55's I think would have clearance issues especially up front being almost 27" diameter .

wheel12.jpg

wheel21.jpg

wheel3.jpg

spacer11.jpg

I didnt see that you posted your wheels width? they 7 inches?

Sorry ' date=' yes they are 17x7 40 offset.[/b']

I believe 225's are about the widest tire for a 7" rim ( I may be wrong tho)

I Have 235/60/14 on my car now, seem to fit fine.

I have 17x7 40mm Offset and bought 38mm (1.5") spacers , I'm a little concerned that the wheel is out to far , and the tire will hit the fender, I guess I'll find out when I get the tires mounted. What size spacers did you get?

If that's going to be a problem I'm in it with you, I ordered the same 1.5 spacers.

I was thinking of getting 50's but the selection is small, 55's I think would have clearance issues especially up front being almost 27" diameter.

From my math 225/55/17 should clear at 26.71" But that's a guess doing the math. The real world could be different. So now I'm thinking of going with 235/45/17 or 225/45/17 which drops the tire diameter to 25.3" or 24.9" , my old setup was 24.6" and I want to fill more of the wheelwell.

Way too many options, LOL.

Did you see this one?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=225&pc=28653&rd=17&ar=45&tc=FALHZB

Hey 78zlt1, did you notice they sold you a set of out of round wheels.... lol

You know I wondered why I got them so cheap.......

I figure I can heat them up with a torch and bang them back round with a hammer. :ugg:

as for tires I'd like something that will somewhat wear well since this will be my summer daily driver and I drive 100 miles round trip to work.

BTW, I had 17x7 +40 wheels with 1.5" adaptors & coilovers running 235/45/17 tires with out any rubbing.

Ok thats good info 235/45/17 on 17x7's work........ more options...

so maybe 225's (25" dia) on the front and 235's (25.3" dia) on the rear............your right too many options....:ugg: